Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
TStan has to stay the course and has to make a public affirmation of Collins. There is no other way to play it right now. This is expected.

Here is my question as I’ve stated before. If we are still playing this way 5 games into next season does TStan fire mid season? There is no reason to finish a season with Collins at that point just to say you finished the season. And a quick hook if the program is still in crisis is the only way to restore confidence that someone is in charge. Ignoring a collapsing football program at that point would be disastrous.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It sucks but we basically have a roster full of sophomores (freshman due to covid). There is no way you can judge Collins fairly right now. But the next two seasons will give us the answer. If we suck when Gibbs and Sims are juniors, with a junior/senior Oline, then we will know we have problems. Right now its just frustrating, but the teams that beat us have more talent and depth than we do.

Personally I do think we will need some new coordinators. But I am willing to give Collins two more seasons. We are not a football factory loaded with talent where you can just judge a new coach in 2-3 seasons. CPJ came in with a loaded roster and won big, but after that it took him from 2009---->2014 to show what he can do with his recruits. 2010-2013 was PAINFUL!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It sucks but we basically have a roster full of sophomores (freshman due to covid). There is no way you can judge Collins fairly right now. But the next two seasons will give us the answer. If we suck when Gibbs and Sims are juniors, with a junior/senior Oline, then we will know we have problems. Right now its just frustrating, but the teams that beat us have more talent and depth than we do.

Personally I do think we will need some new coordinators. But I am willing to give Collins two more seasons. We are not a football factory loaded with talent where you can just judge a new coach in 2-3 seasons. CPJ came in with a loaded roster and won big, but after that it took him from 2009---->2014 to show what he can do with his recruits. 2010-2013 was PAINFUL!
Maybe you can.t judge him. but after 3 seasons and only 9 wins and NO IMPOVEMENT on his coaching I'm have judge him. 2 more years of him and it will take 20 years to get this program back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, the UGA philosophy seems to be that if at least 7 of your players aren't under investigation, indicted and/or in jail then you're not trying hard enough.
Bob Devaney said it first. Someone asked him if he wanted to be sanctioned by the NCAA. Devaney: "I don't want to win enough to be placed on NCAA probation, I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation."

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
As I've aged as a sports fan, I find I'm as interested in the franchise building of a team/program as I am by the team's on-field performance (This is not to minimize my fan hopes for a win, just an acknowledgement that I find the mgmt side interesting in relation to outcomes).
I am trying to consider our current sitrep thru that lens with regards to Collins, his contract, and other program variables. Despite my earlier post that Collins may be released a year too late (in a $$ is no object world I'd cut him now), I think his contract was structured for a three year analysis of coordinators and overall performance. I think Collins was specifically hired to affect recruiting towards a new system with less concern of his actual coaching acumen, which so far leaves room for improvement. I think we move on from our DC as our defense is visibly undisciplined. I think our OC is more likely than not to stay as our QB situation has been a work in progress, so I think he gets one more year to develop his offense. I like Sims over Yates, but wouldn't be surprised to see a new guy overtake Sims in two years if he doesn't improve his field management. I'm undecided on Key as line continuity is a significant variable that has yet to settle out.
With no particular guy(s) in mind, I would look to hire a veteran DC with an established record. I think if both coordinators are replaced, the OC is probably a younger room-to-grow guy and one of the two is likely to be Collins' replacement in waiting with a short leash as early as next year. I've been watching GT football for nearly four decades and attended during the B*** L**** years (sympathy and donations accepted).
GT football will survive the CGC experience. Improved coordinators might cover Collins' shortcomings and just let him focus on the things that are important to him such as branding, recruiting, etc. Collins would then be judged on the team's improvement next year. If the improvements prove insufficient, we move on from Collins, the program is farther along, and the transition to a new coach will be less painful.