Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So he can't raise funds now because he did in the past? Is he getting paid for things he has already done, or is he getting paid for the work he is doing today? It is one of the biggest jobs he has in the role, you have to always fundraise. Every single day. Doubly so in a case where it is to fix your own error.
And you know some how that he doesn't raise funds, they just magically appear. Funds are usually given for specific purposes and we knew going in that this wasn't the usual 3 to 4 year evaluation period attached to the job. And that time period doesn't even include the 6 months when he wasn't allowed to do his job during Covid.

If you're asking people for money, you better have a good purpose and be able to sell the need for such purpose. $14 million would go a long way toward ameliorating hunger and homelessness in Georgia, especially this time of year.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with this. I never thought Gailey was a bad coach. In fact, he was probably criminally underrated for his ability to find and develop talent. If given the chance, I really feel like he may have had another year or two of 9-10 win seasons at GT, but we pulled the plug before that could be seen. I still believe history will bear out, via an NCAA HoF invite, that CPJ was the better coach of the two.
Except QB

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Not every coach signed the same year Collins was hired got 6 years. Louisville did due to the train wreck Petrino left. Almost all others were 5.

Talked to a guy who heads one of the main executive search firms for coaches and ADs two nights ago at my house. Said the 7 year contract was stupid and not necessary. Also said we are in a tough situation because we don't have the money to compete these days. For the record, we discussed Pastner and he likes (not loves) him. Agreed with me that Pastner "gets it" regarding the fans, his image, press conferences, etc. and Collins just doesn't. Said Pastner is a good guy and really wants him to succeed. Basically said no one else in the country was hiring Collins so why did they give him a 7 year deal. He would've crawled to ATL for the GT job. Stansbury got jobbed (my words, not his).
Lol guy with an axe to grind knows a guy.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm a fan. I'm well aware.
From the outside I don’t really understand why the fan base is supposedly pissed off. No option, no hard *** coach or dismissive press conferences, participation trophies all around, and vanilla college offense. Seems like Collins is perfect fit for what a lot of the fans here and the boosters wanted and is producing the results that were hoped for.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Chan never should've agreed to the moronic demand that he give up play calling to someone much less qualified.
I remember that game. The field conditions were almost tailor-made for Wake. We could have won, yes, but on a dry field Tech wins by 2 TDs. Unfortunately … well, let's put it this way: even Calvin couldn't make a difference on that field.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You do understand that with NIL players are getting million dollar deals now, right? All perfectly legal.

Yes, but what you are proposing is against the rules. Colleges and universities are prohibited from tying NIL money to their attendance at their specific school. That would be "pay for play" which is still expressly prohibited.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but what you are proposing is against the rules. Colleges and universities are prohibited from tying NIL money to their attendance at their specific school. That would be "pay for play" which is still expressly prohibited.

Well, I didn't propose it, but if AugustaJacket Ford or AugstaJacket Chicken Fingers and Fine Dining wants to sign Gibbs to a big deal and then end it if he left for another team, seems like there would be nothing wrong with that. If Stansbury made that deal, sure, that's probably not on the up and up.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Somewhere out there in GT Alumni Land, there just has to be at least one, two, three, or more? — perhaps even a group — of GT graduate-billionaires or millionaires who are disgusted with the current football program after these past three seasons, and are willing to buy out CGC’s remaining contract right now.

There just has to be. If not, I would be really surprised.
Maybe they liked CPJ and are now disenfranchised ... just sayin

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just to add insult to injury, TStan said publicly today that CGC will be back for a 4th season.

“While not a surprise, Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury confirmed that coach Geoff Collins will return for a fourth season Wednesday night. Stansbury made the declaration on Collins' radio show on The Fan.”

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just to add insult to injury, TStan said publicly today that CGC will be back for a 4th season.

“While not a surprise, Georgia Tech athletic director Todd Stansbury confirmed that coach Geoff Collins will return for a fourth season Wednesday night. Stansbury made the declaration on Collins' radio show on The Fan.”
Is today’s date April 1st, by any chance? Please tell me this is an April Fools’ joke.