Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If money is going to always be an issue for us, why not look at a head coach like Gary Goff at Valdosta State. He has a track record of turning programs around or making them better at all his stops along the way.
I’d take him in a second. Just a solid football coach whose offense is always very good. But we’ll pay some retread millions because after Collins will swing the pendulum back the other way. The thought process that led us to Collins was correct. We just picked a bad one. It happens. We need a young, solid, proven program builder who we can get for cheap. There are tons of those and they will be the next batch of top tier coaches. We need to get one.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
CGC is with us through the 2022 for sure.

Popovich and Thacker will most likely not had contracts renewed for sure.
Then I am for sure downgrading in 2022 to non-TECH Fund seats. No way I am up for a $1500 seat premium for a deficient HC & his mediocre boss! I will return if the wins do…not fully supporting the HC with 5 of GT’s worst losses! I am only able to give at the same level to match “realistic” win %!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Point me to the orange bowls and 11 win seasons Chan had. Chan was nice and steady, overall a good coach, but not a great coach. CPJ had a lower floor, but a higher ceiling, and will be in the college football hall of fame as a coach.
I pointed that out in the OP saying besides 2 outlier seasons he was Historically an average Coach for Tech and on par with Chan Gailey.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think we get boat raced by UGA, next week. Fans will be mad, but the view from the AD is we'll get over it. I personally don't think Collins will " magically", right the ship next year. I foresee a 4 win season, at best. And.... Come mid-next season, the same people saying "next season" now will be saying "next season" again. CGC doesn't deserve our sympathy or support. He owes us, the fans... He owes us a better product. He owes us a winning team. He owes us some truth, not narrative BS. He owes us, not we owe him.... However ; some people seem perfectly ok with a bad team and fall for everyone of his lies.... By the time they realize how terrible CGC is, it will be too late. Eventually talent will transfer out or decommit. Nobody likes losing and those that want to win, will find a team, that can do so.... So, I ask this.... Those still on the Collins train, what will it take to say enough, is enough?

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we get boat raced by UGA, next week. Fans will be mad, but the view from the AD is we'll get over it. I personally don't think Collins will " magically", right the ship next year. I foresee a 4 win season, at best. And.... Come mid-next season, the same people saying "next season" now will be saying "next season" again. CGC doesn't deserve our sympathy or support. He owes us, the fans... He owes us a better product. He owes us a winning team. He owes us some truth, not narrative BS. He owes us, not we owe him.... However ; some people seem perfectly ok with a bad team and fall for everyone of his lies.... By the time they realize how terrible CGC is, it will be too late. Eventually talent will transfer out or decommit. Nobody likes losing and those that want to win, will find a team, that can do so.... So, I ask this.... Those still on the Collins train, what will it take to say enough, is enough?
I agree with you. I always said 2022 would be the measuring stick. If we’re not competitive and all this nonsense like late substitutions isn’t cleaned up then he’s good as gone.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We made a bowl game for 22 straight years without playing a bullsh*t schedule. There’s no reason to start playing one now. Especially when we’re hurting for fans and money
I'm just stating how the game is being played, even in our own conference. Some seem to play to win 2 conference games to get bowl eligible.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d take him in a second. Just a solid football coach whose offense is always very good. But we’ll pay some retread millions because after Collins will swing the pendulum back the other way. The thought process that led us to Collins was correct. We just picked a bad one. It happens. We need a young, solid, proven program builder who we can get for cheap. There are tons of those and they will be the next batch of top tier coaches. We need to get one.
This is what I've never understood about Tech's recent AD's. In basketball, a terrible contract extension was given to CPH over fear of losing him. Then, after CPH's firing and worried that 'nobody' was going to be left to chose from, they grab CBG.
So after CPJ departs the football program, the fear of not being able to find somebody to lead the team/recruit causes our current AD to throw a seven year contract at a guy with two years of head 'coaching' experience.
When a mistake could set Tech back five years or more, why the rush to gamble?
I've always said, if the perfect fit with a proven big name coach is not there, why not go after somebody in a smaller program with outstanding success? You can sign him for two or three years for less money and if doesn't work out, you move on.
I heard TStan this past Friday on 680AM reciting (again) about the huge transformation and how 'we didn't even have a tight end on the roster three years ago.' I am beyond done listening to this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is what I've never understood about Tech's recent AD's. In basketball, a terrible contract extension was given to CPH over fear of losing him. Then, after CPH's firing and worried that 'nobody' was going to be left to chose from, they grab CBG.
So after CPJ departs the football program, the fear of not being able to find somebody to lead the team/recruit causes our current AD to throw a seven year contract at a guy with two years of head 'coaching' experience.
When a mistake could set Tech back five years or more, why the rush to gamble?
I've always said, if the perfect fit with a proven big name coach is not there, why not go after somebody in a smaller program with outstanding success? You can sign him for two or three years for less money and if doesn't work out, you move on.
I heard TStan this past Friday on 680AM reciting (again) about the huge transformation and how 'we didn't even have a tight end on the roster three years ago.' I am beyond done listening to this.
My gosh, are we still talking about tight ends like it’s the Rosetta Stone for Tech’s football fortunes!!!

slugboy

Staff member
I pointed that out in the OP saying besides 2 outlier seasons he was Historically an average Coach for Tech and on par with Chan Gailey.
There’s a difference between good seasons and outlier seasons. If you win 4 games a year every year and then suddenly you go undefeated, that’s an outlier.

Keep in mind, even if you did have 4 4-win seasons in a row and then went undefeated for one season, that doesn’t mean that you didn’t EARN that undefeated season. It just means it was unusual for you.

The 11 win seasons look to be in the normal variation of wins that Johnson had.

Johnson averaged 7.5 wins per year. He had two losing seasons and two 11 win seasons. It’s the same distance from the mean as the 11-win seasons, but if I was going to throw out a season as an outlier, it’d be the 3-9 season. To be clear, I wouldn’t throw it out. However, several stats gurus have said listed it as one of the strongest and unluckiest 3-9 teams ever. (They should have probably ended up closer to 5-7 or 6-6). That doesn’t even factor in the rash of injuries we had that year. The 3-9 season is the one that looks statistically weirdest, especially if you peek under the covers.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Misery loves company. That's all this blurb is. You are miserable because we are losing and the only right answer is for everyone else associated with GT football to be as miserable as you are. That's sounds silly when said that way, doesn't it? That's because it is silly. It's also true. I've never coached football, but I've both played baseball through the college level and coached competitive league youth baseball teams for years. When my youth struggle through a series of losses, I keep the positive reinforcement going. For a lot of players, making them feel miserable for losing a game just isn't productive. We have a discussion about why we lost and then we put it behind us. Same with the wins. It's not a bad thing.

If you don't like it, that's a personal issue, but it is not a sign that players don't care or that the coaching staff isn't coaching. It's just a miserable fan base wanting everyone else associated with the team to be miserable as well.

it's amazing how many people don't understand this. wanting cgc or tstan to trash the team, in season, is idiocy.

the only thing you can do is move on. I coached travel college-prep softball. If we had a bad day, we'd look at what went wrong, work on it in practice, and go back out.

moping around at practice and talking about how much you suck makes you miserable and more sucky.

the real evaluations happen next week.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
it's amazing how many people don't understand this. wanting cgc or tstan to trash the team, in season, is idiocy.

the only thing you can do is move on. I coached travel college-prep softball. If we had a bad day, we'd look at what went wrong, work on it in practice, and go back out.

moping around at practice and talking about how much you suck makes you miserable and more sucky.

the real evaluations happen next week.
Yeah I don't think trash talking the team accomplishes anything.

That said, all of the coach speak and question deflection doesn't accomplish anything either. It would be much nicer if coach looked like he has a plan to get things corrected, a sense of direction. Instead he rarely answers a question and goes on a marketing rant about how great things are, what he's accomplished at other stops... That stuff is fine if you're winning, and it's ok if you're losing as well, I commend his positive attitude actually. When you are losing, however, you also need to pair the marketing speak with a clear plan you can convey to your constituents, otherwise you have what we have on our hands now.