Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

GTcanWINagain

Banned
It's alway darkest before the dawn. Tell them the story of Mike Price, the new head coach at Alabama, and how he got busted using his university credit card at strip joints and got canned. That will cheer them up.
Will you be serious? Are you making light of this because you are a Collins’ boy - or just drinking like the rest of us?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
DC yes, but HC probably not. I'm not sure any of the ones you mentioned sucked this bad.
Dooley went 5-19 in the conference in 3 years at one of the richest schools in the country. Even Geoff has done better than that. Petrino and Muschamp both had some serious off-field issues. I don’t think CGC will ever be a head coach at the D1 level again (FBS or FCS) he will definitely find another job. He is still a very successful recruiter who has a good coaching tree. It just seems like he isn’t a good enough leader to be a HC

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The only win he had at Tech was for himself when he convinced Tstan into hiring him into an insane contract where he’ll be rich for being of the worst college coaches in the country.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We all have had thoughts about what we would do for some extravagant amount of money. So, let's not entertain thoughts that CGC will walk away for $millions. The GTAA has to make the calculation that firing him makes money over keeping him. The onus is not on CGC at this point. He is holding aces and and standing pat.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Geoff talked TStan into the <500 Mile Theory of Football. "Come to Tech Young Man, and you will either go to the NFL or get a great degree." The premise was that we would "retool" GT and develop student athletes in a way to get them to the NFL. (This is what Nick Saban is doing.)

So, they went all in on this. AI2020 was the funding, Collins the recruiter.

Sounds great. But were other schools going to do it? Like say, Alabama? Georgia? LSU? Yes, yes and yes. So you have to assume that you will do it BETTER than these guys if you are to succeed.

No offense, but these two numbskulls just drove Tech football over the proverbial cliff. We are NOT going to beat someone with $200M in spend with a debt-ridden GTAA that can barely afford box lunches for the athletes.

AI2020 kicked off in January 2018 when CPJ was entering his final year with us. CGC benefitted from a program he inherited.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Todd: Geoff, we need to talk.
Collins: Hi Todd. I agree. I was thinking ... just out loud, you know? What if ... we created a NEW athletic association for Georgia Tech? We could call it the Georgia Tech Super Elite Athletic Association. I could run it. I'd rather be fighting and battling in the locker room, that's really my passion, but there is so much work to be done branding, that the Super Elite AA makes the most sense. So, let's say we agree on a ten-year contract at $5M a year with a full buyout and let's implement this plan to Make Tech Great Again!
Todd: So, you would be my boss?
Collins: I would be your mentor. But I promise to love you every day. I'm only doing this for you, you understand. Because I love you so much.
Todd: Only if you sign me to a ten year deal too.
Collins: Done!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wish I could be as unproductive at my job as GC and still collect a paycheck. I understand leaving money on the table, but you have to be self-aware and realize that if you back down there might be another shot at coaching again somewhere down the road.

If he quits on a team he will never be a HC again. His best shot is to survive this season and start winning next year. After todays loss, and the ensuing press conference, surviving this season just got exponentially harder.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If he quits on a team he will never be a HC again. His best shot is to survive this season and start winning next year. After todays loss, and the ensuing press conference, surviving this season just got exponentially harder.
Is there any evidence that would suggest he will start winning?

I got a kick out of reading his "plan" for Georgia Tech. He spoke as if he was an expert on turning around college programs and I thought ... isn't his ONLY experience as a HC the two mediocre years at Temple followed by ... Tech? What experience does he have? Answer: None.

He needs to win if only to find a graceful way to get "recruited away" from Tech. I think he's finished as a serious coach.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t thinking HC.... maybe Analyst or something like that. Saban takes damaged goods and repairs them. This could be his biggest endeavor yet.

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
GT fan since 2008 when I was a freshman at Tech. We were always competitive and won a lot of games. Paul retired because he wasn't getting the support that other ACC coaches did from their AD and schools in dollars and facilities. It is an arms race. I hate that Geoff got more support then trashed the guy who was a WINNER on his way out... before he had proven anything himself. Geoff trashed the triple option, the recruits, the former players, the coaches, the brand, everything. I just hated how he was not gracious...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Is there any evidence that would suggest he will start winning?

I got a kick out of reading his "plan" for Georgia Tech. He spoke as if he was an expert on turning around college programs and I thought ... isn't his ONLY experience as a HC the two mediocre years at Temple followed by ... Tech? What experience does he have? Answer: None.

He needs to win if only to find a graceful way to get "recruited away" from Tech. I think he's finished as a serious coach.

That's not the argument. Him willingly walking away means he will never be a HC again. Him not turning this around likely means he will never be a HC again. Him hitting a longshot chance next year maybe saves his job. It's not hard to see him staying and attempting the near impossible.