Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill O'Brien, say what you want about him as a person, but as a coach would be fantastic for GT. Unfortunately, O'Brien is a ladder climber. As soon as something better came along he would be gone. Nothing wrong with that, just need to be aware of the deal you're making with O'Brien.

I don't want to derail this thread into a coaching search thread, but my issues are mostly that he didn't love recruiting while at Penn State and recruiting is even more important now than ever. I also think his offense is dated based on what he's doing at Alabama right now. I don't think it is the worst hire and he might be the guy we need to right the ship before we hire THE guy who can really excel here, but I would prefer a couple of other guys first.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You know, if Collins was TRYING to get TStan to fire him, notwithstanding the big payout, he really couldn’t be doing a better job. I wonder if he has already booked a year-long, around-the-world cruise, beginning right after next weekend?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m now willing to donate to this cause, if it truly goes to a new coach and staff? Today has nudged me over the demarcation line. Going out there next week, seems like walking into a truckload of burning Dawg poop.
Why we did we build the little edge thing.
Instead we should have fully funded coaching scholarship. Engr like building and people that are low bidder

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am beginning to wonder if he is capable of making the next hire. Let's face it. Collins will not be here much longer. One or two more at most. This was a really bad hire for way too many years. Is our AD over his head?

Truth is, sometimes you make a great hire (Bobby Cremins) and sometimes you get a bad hire (Bill Lewis). Same AD hired both of those guys.

TStan doesn't get the axe for this.

JeepinJacket

Banned
Isn't Collins supposed to be an expert at Defence ? How is he letting our D suck this bad.
As much as I want Collins gone, there is no way in hell GT can afford it. Tstan either must force him to make big changes or resign .

I will not continue to support being embarrassed like this. And I bet next week it's gonna be 90% UGA fans at tech.
Always is when you suck and your people in charge don’t care.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am past the point of venting. I simply cut the game off when it was 17-0 and we had a 3rd and 2. false start followed by a delay of game penalty. Drew Brees said something to the effect of 'if yyou want to know how to lose a FB game, this is it." I spent the rest of the afternoon getting up leaves in the yard. Y'all should see it now. My yard looks like the fairways at Augusta National. Sipping my first bourbon and fixing to grill ribeyes. Honestly, I may just play golf next Saturday. It's kind of sad as I used to see Thanksgiving as a way to kill a day waiting on COFH.

I'm not mad really at Geoff and his staff. I honestly believe they are doing their best. And probably will up until he coaches his last game. I have no doubt he wants to do well. It just looks like he was given a task bigger than himself.
I don't hate CGC or staff that he hired. He convinced himself and then TStan that he was the man for the job. I put the blame on TStan. If he knew ahead of time that it might take 4 or more years to even have a winning team, he should not have gambled on a HC that never built anything to speak of. With a massive Power 5 conference rebuild you should NEVER hand the job to a novice. Not unless he has shown exceptional skills and has glowing appraisals as a potential HC from personal friends of the AD. TStan not only put CGC on national display. he also put his own reputation on the line, IMO

JeepinJacket

Banned
Bill Clark from UAB. Defensive guy, wouldn't break the bank, literally brought a program back from the dead to win the conference a couple times so I don't think he would give us the "biggest transition in the history of college football" bull****.
We have the $. Find a big national brand household name AND PAY HIM!!!! you get what pay for

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Truth is, sometimes you make a great hire (Bobby Cremins) and sometimes you get a bad hire (Bill Lewis). Same AD hired both of those guys.

I agree. Who here hasn't made a bad hiring decision? If you say you haven't you are either lying or haven't hired more than just a few people. TStan should be judged on the next guy.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck

I think he should if he can't raise the funds for the buyout. He can make up for the mistake by showing his money making chops. If he can't do that, coupled with the Collins hire I think that should be fireable. Everyone should get a shot to correct their screw ups, but you need to show you can.

JeepinJacket

Banned
The Big12 will lose their 2 biggest media draws when Texas and OU leave. They weren’t even invited to join the new “alliance.” Plus none of that even takes place until 2025. We can pay more than UCF now, and I’m sure we’ll still be able to then
But UCF at least has a better stadium than is

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
You know, if Collins was TRYING to get TStan to fire him, notwithstanding the big payout, he really couldn’t be doing a better job. I wonder if he has already booked a year-long, around-the-world cruise, beginning right after next weekend?
Right.
If you wanted to decimate GT football, what would you do different?

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
With a massive Power 5 conference rebuild you should NEVER hand the job to a novice. not unless he has shown exceptional skills and has glowing appraisals as a potential HC from personal friends of the AD.

Wind the clock back 3 years. You get to pick any of the folks who were interested in the job.

Name your choice. Better, name one that meets your criteria.

That's the problem. We aren't high enough in the pecking order to lure a proven commodity. We have to roll the dice.

We rolled and (IMO) lost on this round.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes this is necessary. Stepping outside of candidates that have GT/CPJ connections.

Bob Stoops
Chris Petersen
Brent Venables
Marcus Freeman
Dan Lanning
Bill Clark
Billy Napier
Jamie Chadwell
Will Healy

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
Wind the clock back 3 years. You get to pick any of the folks who were interested in the job.

Name your choice. Better, name one that meets your criteria.

That's the problem. We aren't high enough in the pecking order to lure a proven commodity. We have to roll the dice.

We rolled and (IMO) lost on this round.
Very true & good point. There’s an alternate reality where the CGC bet panned out but that’s not this reality.

Unfortunately it seems 2021 will be an even worse year for pecking order- there’s a lot of high profile opportunities; we’re not one of them