Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We suck. Bad. Don't see how Geoff turns this around. All you have to do is go back and watch the film of the past couple games, ESPECIALLY of the defense, to see how terribly coached these players are on fundamentals. You are either coaching it or allowing it to happen, and these coaches are allowing a ton of bull****.

Oh, it’s definitely being allowed bc it’s no way I’m publicly stating guys are not doing their responsibilities and/or trusting their teammate and not have them seating on bench

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This a great question. I asked myself this but then i wondered how good were they before? Imo, they made a few spot plays here and there, but i believe the perception of them didn’t match their game. We were so enamored with their size and athleticism and Tre carrying on the Swilling legacy that we crowned them as “Stars”

In reality, this heavy man Scheme doesn’t fit Tre. Tre also doesn’t have the hips to be a CB. He should’ve stayed at safety like he was coming out of HS.

What is Juanyeh? Is he a ballhawk? No. Only 2 INTs in 30+ Games. Is he a catalyst or a leader for the defense? No. I haven’t seen him galvanized the troops and get the defense on the same page. Is he a good tackler? Meh. Too many missed tackles and often out of position.

Same with Riq. Many on here loved him bc he looked what UGA had and we wanted that. Riq actually had a good start to his career but injuries has played a huge role in maximizing his potential. The same on-field questions for Juanyeh applies here as well and they do not check many boxes

So to answer your question: Have they regressed? Maybe but not to the extent we want it to be. Maybe they are what they are.
So being a 4 star recruit is over rating players ? Question because you know defense better than anyone on here and playing for Tech , who would you like to see as our next DC ?

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
Why does Marco get a pass? Do our DE's actually get pressure on the QB? No one on the Defense should he spared.
Ivey is getting a push, just needs help from the DT. We have no one the oline has to double team at the moment. LB blitz are not timed correctly and causes a log jam at line of scrimmage. Defensively we are getting better on the line, and need our two DT'S to stick with their commitment. Hoping Carroll can help next year. I say just play the young ones and let them grow.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Oh, it’s definitely being allowed bc it’s no way I’m publicly stating guys are not doing their responsibilities and/or trusting their teammate and not have them seating on bench
But see that’s part of being a head coach. Just like knowing when and when not to call times out, when to kick field goals, etc. If they can’t make tough decisions like this now then when can we expect them to?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The fact that he does this is crazy to me. It’s clearly coming from a good place in that he cares about his players, but when someone is hurt the rest of the team is typically trying to figure out what the hell to do next. Meanwhile our head coach is standing on the field letting a kid know he’s there for him. It’s just not necessary. He can accomplish that same thing by visiting with injured players after games, during the week, etc. Just a really strange thing to me.
It’s funny. I started noticing the ball placement and his athletic trainer routine midway thru year 1. Initially I thought it was just a year 1 thing to show recruits and their mothers that he cares and building up the family atmosphere stuff. I figured surely he would stop that and actually start coaching his team during those precious few minutes a player is down. He kept doing it. Last year, while watching a Bama game a Bama player went down about 10 yards in front of Saban on their side of the field. I saw Saban start walking towards the injured player which I knew he normally goes to the huddle. For a second I thought “well maybe he‘s pulling a Collins since it happened right in front of him”. As he got to the player Saban stepped over the trainer’s legs who was over the player so he could reach the referee. After he gave the ref his 2 cents he turnd and almost stumbled over the injured player while walking directly to the defensive huddle to chew some backside. I was laughing my backside off. Point is, the players would rather win than have him dab them up while lying on the ground.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ivey is getting a push, just needs help from the DT. We have no one the oline has to double team at the moment. LB blitz are not timed correctly and causes a log jam at line of scrimmage. Defensively we are getting better on the line, and need our two DT'S to stick with their commitment. Hoping Carroll can help next year. I say just play the young ones and let them grow.

As hard as it may be to believe, Thacker has been worse as a LB coach than DC. All of blitzes are from depth, the LBs just dance and juke when they see an OLineman and we tackle like crap

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if we'd be better off under the circumstances to just play man to man defense. Less confusion. Of course, they'd have to know who's covering who. I hope the coaches could at least get that straight.
I would agree. Get on your guy on the LOS. No cushions. If you’re beat, you’re beat. Dumb it down.

GTBlaze

Banned
The only reason I’m not on that bandwagon yet is I believed from day one that CGCs main job was recruiting and from a player perspective I think he is succeeding.

However, that also includes recruiting good coaches and I think he has done a poor job there and needs to get that fixed ASAP. If he does that I think we can win with him. But I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind on whether I think we can win with him at the top if he a) doesn’t make changes and we still keep losing, b) makes changes and clearly picks bad coaches again.
Ya know.. I have sat and watched almost every CGC interview, PC etc and the guy defiantly sounds like he knows the game of football.

I haven’t completely jumped off the wagon with CGC but I have with all of his assistants.

Either a) he is going to know that if he does not make changes his job will be in serious jeopardy or b) he simply does not care while cashing in at the bank

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As hard as it may be to believe, Thacker has been worse as a LB coach than DC. All of blitzes are from depth, the LBs just dance and juke when they see an OLineman and we tackle like crap
Is Thacker running his defense or is is working CGC defense he used at Miss State and UF. I not picking on you I just really want to know which is the real problem .

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think too much is being made with this continued argument. If no proven coach wants to do it, find an unproven one and pay him a lot less money - not 3.3 M/year average guaranteed if he doesn’t work out.

We aren’t really in a spot to set ourselves up for long term success. At this point we should be looking for value options that can get us out of the gutter to setup the future. Then you can either renegotiate or hire up once things look better.
I agree. Then if he turns it around, he gets rewarded.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if this has been said already in the 148 pages. But this is now (barring a miracle in the next two games) the worst 3 seasons of Tech football since 1929-1931 when Coach Alexander went 3-6, 2-6-1, 2-7-1. And that was coming off the undefeated 1928 MNC. There's a lot of difficult times in Tech football history. The transition from the Flexbone was certainly a challenge. But the worst challenge in nearly 100 years? Enough to excuse the worst three seasons in modern history? I don't think so. CGC inherited a team that had just won 7 games. Not great, but not nothing. Even he-who-shall-not-be-named won 5 and 5 the first two years. The weakness of the ACC/Coastal made our schedules winnable even with some tough annual opponents.

I've been voicing patience with CGC. But we're three years in. But the roster is nearly fully turned over, there's only a handful of players contributing from the prior staff. Different players, and we're still making the same fundamental mistakes as we were in 2019. Our players have shown they're good enough to win every game we've played so far. Other than Pitt, we've been within one score in the 4th quarter of every loss. In every game there's been drives where they showed they have the ability to move the ball or stop the other team. But there's no consistency. No discipline. The coaches kill our own drives because they can't get a play call in. They make inexplicable game management mistakes.

I don't expect TStan to throw CGC under the bus publicly. I don't expect CGC to throw his assistants under the bus publicly. But, no, I do not see progress and I am looking. this Pollyanna routine is sending a bad message. This is NOT good enough. Thacker and Patenaude need to go. Their replacements should have input on the assistants. CGC should be next if next year isn't significantly better. I don't know if we can afford (financially) to fire him. But I know we can't afford Tech football to be this bad during this era of change in CFB. The top 30ish teams are going to break away before long. If Tech isn't in the group, it's the end of Tech football significance forever.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, and a contract could be structured so that success is rewarded by sticking around instead of going to greener pastures.
I like that idea. Offer less up front, but raises on the back end if he can succeed and stick around. And maybe if he does well, then offer him a more long-term contract. Reward achievement, not promise. I'm sure there are some good, ambitious young coaches at lower levels who would jump at the chance. This is the kind of innovative out-of-the-box thinking needed at Tech, especially given the financial situation.

Animal02

Banned
I like that idea. Offer less up front, but raises on the back end if he can succeed and stick around. And maybe if he does well, then offer him a more long-term contract. Reward achievement, not promise. I'm sure there are some good, ambitious young coaches at lower levels who would jump at the chance. This is the kind of innovative out-of-the-box thinking needed at Tech, especially given the financial situation.
Hell, give him a cut based on increased attendance.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I have to wonder if Collins has goals for the program beyond wins and losses. He brought his brand manager from Temple to "re-brand" GT to excite the fan base and help recruiting. I see it as a distraction from the reality of the program. With 5 or 6 wins and an occasional upset win this might work. With three wins per season and no marquis wins the brand efforts just look silly.

chunt42316

Georgia Tech Fan
I know you hear resources ($) are limited but, your telling me that Tech is more strapped for cash than Ga Southern? They can hire Todd Helton, a coach with big school experience and the best that Tech can do is a CGC, a coach that went 15-10 at Temple with Matt Rhule's players?

Animal02

Banned
I have to wonder if Collins has goals for the program beyond wins and losses. He brought his brand manager from Temple to "re-brand" GT to excite the fan base and help recruiting. I see it as a distraction from the reality of the program. With 5 or 6 wins and an occasional upset win this might work. With three wins per season and no marquis wins the brand efforts just look silly.
But but but, I thought we owned the 404. /

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think too much is being made with this continued argument. If no proven coach wants to do it, find an unproven one and pay him a lot less money - not 3.3 M/year average guaranteed if he doesn’t work out.

We aren’t really in a spot to set ourselves up for long term success. At this point we should be looking for value options that can get us out of the gutter to setup the future. Then you can either renegotiate or hire up once things look better.

I think we could find someone like Curt Cignetti at JMU. He's experienced and proven (Granted, in FCS): He's 97–30 as a head coach, 30–4 at JMU. Played QB at WVU and coached QBs most of his career. Coached WR and was a recruiting coordinator under Saban at Bama before getting a (DII) HC job. His next step would normally be a G5 job. (JMU is moving up to FBS in 2023 if he stays.) But he's 60 and making $425k at JMU. He's probably not working his up way to a shot at a plum P5 job at this point in his career. He'd probably jump at a chance to make low 7 figures and be a P5 head coach before he retires (with a chance to do something special.) He's got a hotshot young OC that's been on his staff the last three stops. It would be a jump for him and a somewhat risky hire. But he's shown he knows how to lead a winning team.

I'm sure there's other guys like that out there...