Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You keep saying rebuild, but it just wasn't. We can agree to disagree on that (BC doing well with our same/worse talent level and less time with a new coach).

Do you honestly Still think CGC can make this team into a power house by year seven? Like competing for ACC championships and playoff spots.

Do you think the down year in the ACC has anything to do with the closer games this year (not saying it's the only reason, but significant).

I remember a lot of posters were okay with another losing season before this year started because we had a top ten projected strength of schedule. Our schedule has conversely proven to be no where near that difficult. I wonder if some minds have changed on that. Outside of ND and ugag, Tech should have had many more wins.

You can deny it all you want but it is true. You will be in the .5% who think other wise.

Yes, but from the outside looking in, it appears to be some placating going to a few players especially in secondary. This is one place where the free COVID yr has screwed things up. You have minimal impact guys coming occupying spots and it allowed the new guys to not get plentiful reps.

Yes & no. Preseason, i tried to make folks aware that you can’t go off of brand name to make W/L predictions . ex. UNC & Wake. What i didn’t expect is our defense would be beyond terrible. Just eliminating some of the explosives per gm would have us at 5-6 wins right now

LibertyTurns

Banned
I didn’t conveniently skip over anything. After 2014, we were 24-25. That’s not cherry-picking or whatever you want to call it. The fact that y’all trying the minimize the rebuild is ridiculous
We’d kill for 24-25. He’d have to win 15 of his next 17 games. Seeing as he’s losing the next 2, we’d have to win the National Championship next year. This is not Bobby Ross, this is that guy after him’s dumb little brother.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m now on board. Fire GC.
The only reason I’m not on that bandwagon yet is I believed from day one that CGCs main job was recruiting and from a player perspective I think he is succeeding.

However, that also includes recruiting good coaches and I think he has done a poor job there and needs to get that fixed ASAP. If he does that I think we can win with him. But I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind on whether I think we can win with him at the top if he a) doesn’t make changes and we still keep losing, b) makes changes and clearly picks bad coaches again.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t conveniently skip over anything. After 2014, we were 24-25. That’s not cherry-picking or whatever you want to call it. The fact that y’all trying the minimize the rebuild is ridiculous
The rebuild post Collins will be worse than CPJ.
CPJ left GT football in the best possible financial shape. That was squandered by hiring an unproven head coach that brought an unproven and inept staff with him.

Collins sold the idea of the great transformation and people keep believing it. We are no closer IMO to winning more games than we were in 2019 because our team lacks discipline and trust. A transformation from a 24-25 team for wins/losses to a 40-9 team for wins/losses is a transformation. A 24-25 team for wins/losses is a continuation. 9-23 is a regression. I know success isn’t easy, but good coaches do it. That is why they are paid these ridiculous salaries.

I don’t blame Collins for that though. He was smart to take the money.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but from the outside looking in, it appears to be some placating going to a few players especially in secondary. This is one place where the free COVID yr has screwed things up. You have minimal impact guys coming occupying spots and it allowed the new guys to not get plentiful reps.

Yes & no. Preseason, i tried to make folks aware that you can’t go off of brand name to make W/L predictions . ex. UNC & Wake. What i didn’t expect is our defense would be beyond terrible. Just eliminating some of the explosives per gm would have us at 5-6 wins right now
Again agree to disagree, you can look at the recruiting services you guys like to point out so much for proof

I've never seen a good coaching staff do this. Certainly not for a whole season (the part I bolded).

So it's either the guys they brought in aren't good enough yet to beat out the older dudes, or the coaches have made some terrible decisions. Either way, it's on the coaches.

Which leads to the second part, those explosive plays are also directly on the coaches based on the above.

Animal02

Banned
The only reason I’m not on that bandwagon yet is I believed from day one that CGCs main job was recruiting and from a player perspective I think he is succeeding.

However, that also includes recruiting good coaches and I think he has done a poor job there and needs to get that fixed ASAP. If he does that I think we can win with him. But I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind on whether I think we can win with him at the top if he a) doesn’t make changes and we still keep losing, b) makes changes and clearly picks bad coaches again.
GC is succeeding in recruiting because of the money being spent on the program that wasn't there 2015-2018.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Which leads to the second part, those explosive plays are also directly on the coaches based on the above.
Asked about that in the presser, it went something like this ...

"One thing that really jumps out is the long passing game for BC. They had four different receivers bumping up against 20 yards per catch and 15 yards per throw, which obviously doesn’t help the whole story. But it’s a problem and it’s a problem again this week. Is that a total defensive thing, is it a pass rush thing or how do you put that together?"

Collins: "I think it’s a … when you hear our guys … whenever those explosives happen … that they are organizational issues and that’s on every single level. But everybody sees when it happens and when a couple of them happened, they weren’t [in the back]."

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know he won’t be fired until after next season due to buyout. But can we please not let him in the stadium on game days next year? Let him recruit and be Mr. positive during the week. But on Saturdays please don‘t let him be any part of the in game process. His best skill is spotting the ball for ref and attending to injured players but we have other folks who can do that. I think he would have won at least 3 more games this year if he would have just stayed home during the game.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Asked about that in the presser, it went something like this ...

"One thing that really jumps out is the long passing game for BC. They had four different receivers bumping up against 20 yards per catch and 15 yards per throw, which obviously doesn’t help the whole story. But it’s a problem and it’s a problem again this week. Is that a total defensive thing, is it a pass rush thing or how do you put that together?"

Collins: "I think it’s a … when you hear our guys … whenever those explosives happen … that they are organizational issues and that’s on every single level. But everybody sees when it happens and when a couple of them happened, they weren’t [in the back]."
So is he saying it's not in the secondary, but the coaches, or the line?

I'm not sure I follow what his response is there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The only reason I'm not on that bandwagon is that from a financial standpoint, it isn't going to happen anyway. The recruiting has been good up to now, but after three 3-win seasons, it may dry up. But like you, I'm hoping some good assistants can right the ship. We have a good nucleus of talent, if somebody can figure out how to make it add up to a winner.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Again agree to disagree, you can look at the recruiting services you guys like to point out so much for proof

I've never seen a good coaching staff do this. Certainly not for a whole season (the part I bolded).

So it's either the guys they brought in aren't good enough yet to beat out the older dudes, or the coaches have made some terrible decisions. Either way, it's on the coaches.

Lol good coaches do it all the time. They win enough that people don’t look to scrutinize everything. Look at what’s going on in Clemson. The nepotism has tainted the locker room

The guys they brought are still Fr/RdFR. Everyone leans on experience unless you have undeniable 1st talent. He might’ve bought some more leeway by player all the young guys, but then you would have @Animal02 clogging the boards about processing.

Again, these 18-22 and not some Madden AI. How many times do you have to be coached that you have deep quarters, thirds, half and you remain in that area instead doing someone else responsibility? I promise these guys are not practicing the get beat deep drill. Hell, they were doing tackling drills on Thacker last week, how times did you see a player wrap up and take someone down?the coaches bear heavy criticism but you guys are letting these players skate entirely too much here

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know he won’t be fired until after next season due to buyout. But can we please not let him in the stadium on game days next year? Let him recruit and be Mr. positive during the week. But on Saturdays please don‘t let him be any part of the in game process. His best skill is spotting the ball for ref and attending to injured players but we have other folks who can do that. I think he would have won at least 3 more games this year if he would have just stayed home during the game.
It would help if somebody would just tell him when to call time out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think he's saying it wasn't the secondary. But he does have a way with words. I had to listen twice to figure out what he said.
I wonder if we'd be better off under the circumstances to just play man to man defense. Less confusion. Of course, they'd have to know who's covering who. I hope the coaches could at least get that straight.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Lol good coaches do it all the time. It’s just enough wins that people don’t look to scrutinize everything.

The guys they brought are still Fr/RdFR. Everyone leans on experience unless you have undeniable 1st talent. He might’ve bought some more leeway by player all the young guys, but then you would have @Animal02 clogging the boards about processing.

Again, these 18-22 and not some Madden AI. How many times do you have to be coached that you have deep quarters
Do you think juanyeh, trey, and carpenter have regressed under the new staff?

LibertyTurns

Banned
The rebuild post Collins will be worse than CPJ.
CPJ left GT football in the best possible financial shape. That was squandered by hiring an unproven head coach that brought an unproven and inept staff with him.

Collins sold the idea of the great transformation and people keep believing it. We are no closer IMO to winning more games than we were in 2019 because our team lacks discipline and trust. A transformation from a 24-25 team for wins/losses to a 40-9 team for wins/losses is a transformation. A 24-25 team for wins/losses is a continuation. 9-23 is a regression. I know success isn’t easy, but good coaches do it. That is why they are paid these ridiculous salaries.

I don’t blame Collins for that though. He was smart to take the money.
Yes, we now have navigated to a point where it will be damn near the worst transition in GT’s history, worse than what Ross had and getting close to Curry/Rice’s rebuild.

Finances has me most concerned. We had a $5M rainy day fund and were generating $2M per year in revenue. 2019 was a disaster, bailed out because we all ponied up to get us in the black but we completely obliterated the rainy day fund. Many of us kept our tickets in 2020 or donated straight out, we significantly reduced non-football operations plus staff salary cuts probably blunted 2020. I have not seen the numbers. 2021 is going to be atrocious even with the mutt being at home and boosting attendance. It wouldn’t surprise me to be $4-5M in the hole this year based on woeful season ticket sales & overall declining attendance. Add that to a $14 buyout & it’s untenable. We’re stuck like Chuck.

Second problem we have besides money is who now wants to take this program over. We’re not a big program that draws coaches that are looking to resurrect their careers & no coach with a bright future wants to dive on this hand grenade waiting to go off. You’re talking likely 4-5 years to rebuild what this dude has now destroyed and get it back to 2018 levels. He took a 1 year turnaround and engineered what is now probably a 4-5 year rebuild. Nobody wants that deal, we’re going to need a risky hire & those odds are not good.

The salesman routine crapping on the past is coming back to haunt him. He needs the money those he pissed off are withholding. Those fans that tolerated it and put up with the snarky crap without having any results are now turning their backs on him. His staff needed to have been more focused on football than all the extraneous BS. Hire a couple 20yo kids to handle water ballon and misc dumb activities twits, the coaches should have been 100% focused on football. It’s like he’s running an Animal House program without the alcohol.

I was hoping the dumb schtick would pay off like Dabo, but all we got is the schtick. I’d say I feel sorry for Tstan but he made this bed.

Animal02

Banned
Lol good coaches do it all the time. It’s just enough wins that people don’t look to scrutinize everything.

Again, these 18-22 and not some Madden AI. How many times do you have to be coached that you have deep quarters, thirds, half and you remain in that area instead doing someone else responsibility? I promise these guys are not practicing the get beat deep drill. Hell, they were doing tackling drills on Thacker last week, how times did you see a player wrap up and take someone down?the coaches bear heavy criticism but you guys are letting these players skate entirely too much here
You love your strawman arguments.