Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Who cares what the PPD is? How many points you have at the end of the game is all that matters, and this team is scoring the same or more points than just about every PJ team, with 2014 being a pretty large outlier. Sure having more PPD and reducing the number of possessions your opponent has helps the defense out, but point totals at the end of the game is what determines wins and losses. And if you want to look at it through PPD lens, we’re actually playing better defense right now than we did in 2018.
3rd down conversions?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Jesus Christ are people still fixated on the option? Seems everyone forgot Clemson jumping over our offensive line and having no 2 minute offense.

But I get it. We need to clean house.
Yeah, I hated going to the Orange Bowl and playing for the conference championship every 3-4 years.

News flash - Clemson would have killed us during those years no matter what we were running.

And I’m not saying we need to go back, but no need to trash what succeeded.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s with or without vacated wins? Lol

In all seriousness, I just don’t get how every CGC loss turns into some vindication for CPJ. He retired, quit, or what you want to call it. This is not going to get us back any closer to seeing rocket toss or midline! Here goes the revisionist history again. How was 2015 an anomaly when another losing season was followed in 2017?

What’s the solution to fixing this mess besides firing CGC bc that’s not happening anytime soon?
You conveniently glossed over the 2016 season. It's a fact that Paul Johnson never had back to back losing seasons here. Collins has done this three years in a row. Collins needs to go or he needs to fire all his assistant coaches.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
But we didn’t. We literally tried to run some obscure offense with Tobias and it didn’t work.

As hard as it may seems, we are close. Right now, we just give up waaayyyy too many chunk plays on defense. 60 plays of 20yds or more in 10gms. That’s a little over double of what you’ll see in typical yr. CGC just need make some tough decisions and get rid of buddies and some GT alums. Next yr is the deadline. You’ll finally have your first class of your upperclassmen and some war daddies that should be to compete
Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the solution on the other side of the ball? Folks point to total yards, but we are anything but efficient. We can’t pick up third downs and can’t score in the red zone. And as others have pointed out, once we get past the scripted drive(s) the entire thing looks like a mess.

I’m scared to think what our O would look like without Gibbs, because his big play ability seems to be all we’ve got right now.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
As hard as it may seems, we are close. Right now, we just give up waaayyyy too many chunk plays on defense. 60 plays of 20yds or more in 10gms. That’s a little over double of what you’ll see in typical yr. CGC just need make some tough decisions and get rid of buddies and some GT alums. Next yr is the deadline. You’ll finally have your first class of your upperclassmen and some war daddies that should be to compete
And how close is our head coach (perhaps staff) to figuring out how to manage the clock? When can we expect then to not burn 20-30 seconds during the two minute offense?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Regardless of overall results, we clearly should not fire CGC at this point for program/recruiting continuity and contractual reasons. He needs at least one more year to show results in the W column. However, the same cannot be said for Thacker and our Defensive Backfield coaches as moves need to be made to send a signal that results matter and poor performance can't continue (the whole isn't greater than the sum of the parts on D). Without some move like this to send that message, this season ticket holder won't repeat next year...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You conveniently glossed over the 2016 season. It's a fact that Paul Johnson never had back to back losing seasons here. Collins has done this three years in a row. Collins needs to go or he needs to fire all his assistant coaches.

I didn’t conveniently skip over anything. After 2014, we were 24-25. That’s not cherry-picking or whatever you want to call it. The fact that y’all trying the minimize the rebuild is ridiculous

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of overall results, we clearly should not fire CGC at this point for program/recruiting continuity and contractual reasons. He needs at least one more year to show results in the W column. However, the same cannot be said for Thacker and our Defensive Backfield coaches as moves need to be made to send a signal that results matter and poor performance can't continue (the whole isn't greater than the sum of the parts on D). Without some move like this to send that message, this season ticket holder won't repeat next year...
Yeah but if you let the defensive staff go, then he'll say that we have a losing record again next year because we are installing some amazing new defense.

He shouldn't get that luxury anyways, he's a defensive minded coach, he stinks and he needs to go.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t conveniently skip over anything. After 2014, we were 24-25. That’s not cherry-picking or whatever you want to call it. The fact that y’all trying the minimize the rebuild is ridiculous
You keep saying rebuild, but it just wasn't. We can agree to disagree on that (BC doing well with our same/worse talent level and less time with a new coach).

Do you honestly Still think CGC can make this team into a power house by year seven? Like competing for ACC championships and playoff spots.

Do you think the down year in the ACC has anything to do with the closer games this year (not saying it's the only reason, but significant).

I remember a lot of posters were okay with another losing season before this year started because we had a top ten projected strength of schedule. Our schedule has conversely proven to be no where near that difficult. I wonder if some minds have changed on that. Outside of ND and ugag, Tech should have had many more wins.

Animal02

Banned
And by that time, Tech had dropped from above the mean in the ACC in football spending to 2nd to last...just above Wake Forest. The fact is the program was being starved......but GC fanboys just want to place all the blame on CPJ.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
And by that time, Tech had dropped from above the mean in the ACC in football spending to 2nd to last...just above Wake Forest. The fact is the program was being starved......but GC fanboys just want to place all the blame on CPJ.
And 2015 was definitely an outlier, so you throw that year out and the record for that stretch is 21-16. Makes that argument lose allot of steam.

Can't call Collins 3 years (most likely) with only 3 wins an outlier.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
24-25 is a hell of a lot better than 9-23 (likely soon 9-25).

It’s not a rebuild. We weren’t a trash team, but an average team. We are now one of the worst P5 teams in the country