Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What am I missing here? We hire a head ball coach, pay him lots of money, presumably because that is the going rate for a winner, expect him to win, raise money, fly the flag ... and tell him he czn't hire his assistants because, again presumably, he ain't good enough? That coach needs to float his resume right now.
Serious question, who the heck would want a head coach with his resume? He has seriously damagage his reputaiton and his only choice would be an assistant somewhere. Floating a resume as a head coach would be a fools errand.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean, this really strikes as pretty darn tone deaf. It's all fine that he believes it and conveys it to his players - good for him on that. He has to know, however how this comes off elsewhere. Unless, of course, he doesn't.

Some of the other stats paint a pretty diametrically opposed picture to what CGC is trying to sell

So I read someone saying that they blamed CPJ for leaving the OLine how it was because they couldn't run block......Lol!! That seems like a coaching problem to me.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, and theoretically, this should save us money in the sense that we just need a DC to install exactly what Collins wants. Why it hasn't worked out so far, I have no idea. Maybe Collins needs to act as Co-DC in addition to head coach and get more hands on. I dunno.
Maybe Collins is acting as co dc. I haven’t ever look back to see where Collins rank in stats when he was a dc but I can tell you this it a whole lot easier to run ur system when you had the athletics when He was at Florida and Miss State.Like the earlier post said I’m sure Collins is running the show on defense and Thacker is just the front man and also will be the fall guy in the end. Collins may not be that great of a dc that he claims to be.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
On the local news they had a segment about GT Football and Coach Collins tonight, the banner at the bottom of the screen said “It can only get better” or something like that. It’s sad but I guess that’s just where we’re at right now. At least we got a segment at all.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
On the local news they had a segment about GT Football and Coach Collins tonight, the banner at the bottom of the screen said “It can only get better” or something like that. It’s sad but I guess that’s just where we’re at right now. At least we got a segment at all.
We made the news!!! That’s got to be a sign of progress!!!!

herb

Helluva Engineer
Coach Pangloss.

images
ok, definitely first time I have seen a Voltaire reference here. worth pondering. If you have never read it, it is definitely worth it

geno57

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe Collins is acting as co dc. I haven’t ever look back to see where Collins rank in stats when he was a dc but I can tell you this it a whole lot easier to run ur system when you had the athletics when He was at Florida and Miss State.Like the earlier post said I’m sure Collins is running the show on defense and Thacker is just the front man and also will be the fall guy in the end. Collins may not be that great of a dc that he claims to be.
I don't know if you listen to the Bill Shanks Show on local sports talk but Collins was lambasted today. WTTE of that the GT program was in Bill L___s territory.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if you listen to the Bill Shanks Show on local sports talk but Collins was lambasted today. WTTE of that the GT program was in Bill L___s territory.
I heard it tonight coming home from work. I agree 100 percent with bill. Didn’t like that Wally Ballard didn’t answer the question truthfully when bill ask how does the fan base feel about Collins.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There are hundreds of coaches at lower divisions who would come hear within one phone call. I really don’t understand how so many think the only pool of coaches are already in P5. That is the same reasoning that led Spurrier from GT to Duke. The vast majority of current coordinators started at lower divisions. We’ve tried 2 P5 coordinators (Thacker and Patenaude) for 3 seasons and my opinion is they stink. I’d rather pay 2 young up and comers a lot less money because we know what the current guys can do. Maybe we hit on the next Venables or Day. Maybe not, but any high school staff could win 3 games a year at minimum with our athletes. There is no special sauce to getting P5 jobs. It’s about paying dues and having contacts. Hence, a lot of meatheads in the football coaching profession.

Our HC, OC, and DC were not Pwr5 in those positions when hired. In fact, they each only had 2yrs experience at the FBS level in those jobs, iirc.

B*** L**** won as many or more games in two shorter seasons than we'll win in 3 with this staff.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Serious question, who the heck would want a head coach with his resume? He has seriously damagage his reputaiton and his only choice would be an assistant somewhere. Floating a resume as a head coach would be a fools errand.
Nowhere did he say as a head coach. I doubt Collins ever becomes a HC after here. Unless a HUGE turnaround takes place.

Jolly Good Fellow
Nowhere did he say as a head coach. I doubt Collins ever becomes a HC after here. Unless a HUGE turnaround takes place.
"... I doubt Collins ever becomes a HC after here...."
He will walk away with $20,000,000 GT dollars...I doubt if he cares about his next job.
I hope he turns it around, starting Sat vs BC.. I will be there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
UF needs a DC
As bad as our D is I have way more ability to tolerate bad defense these days than bad offense just due to all the rules that now exist to favor the offense. Our offense is comically bad right now as well.

Both units have gotten worse as the season went on - not really a good sign.

GTBlaze

Banned
"... I doubt Collins ever becomes a HC after here...."
He will walk away with $20,000,000 GT dollars...I doubt if he cares about his next job.
I hope he turns it around, starting Sat vs BC.. I will be there.
He will become the new CEO of AutoNation. Book it.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So the suggestion then was to walk away from his current multi million $$ deal and then float his resume as an assistant? That makes even less sense than floating your resume if the AD fired the assistants now. It was definitely implied. I completely agree with your second part. The sad part would be if he does not understant how bad is main OC and DC are hurting his Career path. He should make that decision on his own without being pushed