Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We’re taking strategy tips from LulaRoe.

My good man, for Pete's sake, make sure none of your compensation is in the form of company stock! PM to follow. Or better yet, let's talk on the phone. (I'm not sure are PM's are really secure, especially in regards to fiduciary concerns). If you don't hear from me, please contact my attorneys and have them open the envelope. In the event we don't speak again, it has been a pleasure and I leave with no regrets and a full heart. Although it will be my luck that we finally do wear the gold/white/gold unis next week. :)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Who exactly would that be?
A punter.
Who signed with PJ.
Cottrell got cut but brought back to the Jags.
Camp and Davis (here for one season) both got cut. Haven't seen that either has been picked up.

I had a HS coach tell me a couple of years ago that the Tech coaches had a signee they thought was going to be NFL bound after three years. My estimation then is that it was Juanyeh.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A punter.
Who signed with PJ.
Cottrell got cut but brought back to the Jags.
Camp and Davis (here for one season) both got cut. Haven't seen that either has been picked up.

I had a HS coach tell me a couple of years ago that the Tech coaches had a signee they thought was going to be NFL bound after three years. My estimation then is that it was Juanyeh.

Davis is with the Packers, fwiw. Active roster special teams

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It may be apathy or it maybe the thought that there is really nothing new to say on the topic that hasn't been said. Would you agree with this premise...less than 10% of the posts in this particular forum represent a fresh take or new thought on the topic of the performance of our FB team? Many of our posters have fired all their bullets on the topic and know this. They are reading but not posting. A handful of others are perhaps not as self aware and keep posting more or less the same idea repeatedly.

At this point, I think it's fair to say that at least 80% of this board has made up their minds regarding CGC, and very little outside of a miraculous run to end this season will change it.

Since it is likely that we will have him as our coach for at least one more full season (2022), and likely 2023 as well, it's probably going to take a major turned corner to soften hearts and change the perception of his tenure here. I'm still holding out hope that he can turn this around in the next two years.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I think it's fair to say that at least 80% of this board has made up their minds regarding CGC, and very little outside of a miraculous run to end this season will change it.

Since it is likely that we will have him as our coach for at least one more full season (2022), and likely 2023 as well, it's probably going to take a major turned corner to soften hearts and change the perception of his tenure here. I'm still holding out hope that he can turn this around in the next two years.
I kept holding out hope on CGC but now the hope is over for me I see he is not going to change . I really wish we had the money to get a new coach before we lose the good players we have on the team.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
I kept holding out hope on CGC but now the hope is over for me I see he is not going to change . I really wish we had the money to get a new coach before we lose the good players we have on the team.
Most likely we don’t so how will you deal with it? For me I’ll support him and GT as long as he and staff are under contract. Not happy with the present results but choose to be a Tech fan and make the best of this season. Just tired of reading these type shares…..

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Patience with Pastner paid off last year. He gets to prove himself further moving forward. I’ve been rather patient with this football staff, but my expectations started lower than some on this board. I’m rather disappointed with our performance and staff this year but I’m always comparing back to where I thought the team would be at different position groups in terms of progress in yr 3.

Starting with offense:

QB- Ahead of expectations - I ignore 2019 because the returning talent’s strengths weren’t going match up with the scheme, and all were doomed to struggle behind the OL. I’ve always felt that Sims wasn’t a polished QB coming out of high school to start his freshman year, but had to play out of necessity. I believe we are getting more production out of QB now than I thought we would in year 3 but plenty of room for growth.

OL - Slightly below expectation. Depth and skill sets on our OL was an issue at the start of the transition. I don’t grade this more harshly because our health along the 2 deep has been a problem and we are patching the depth issue with transfers. I think this group is a couple years out still but I hope Franklin, Pendley, and Williams lead this group to success long term.

WR - Slightly ahead of expectations - Kyric is the main reason I list this as ahead. He’s been a great transfer. I felt this group was below average at the transition, and recruiting has been pretty good but experienced some tragedy and injuries.

RB - Ahead of expectation. This was the best group for the transition and we added explosive players and depth through recruiting.

TE - Below Expectation - This group didn’t exist under the previous regime but we haven’t used the tight end in the passing game much.

Overall - Meets expectation but am concerned the OL could prevent further improvement next year. As a fan, I’m hoping the continual transfers and injuries is what has hurt continuity on the OL. In 2020, penalties and turnovers hurt drives. In 2021, still some turnover issues and inconsistent red zone results. I’ve seen a lot of complaints about play calling, but I’ve also seen people complain opposite sides of the same argument (Example, we should run mason on 3rd and 4th then when shouldn’t have run mason on 4th and 2). I admit there are a few play call head scratchers, but execution always helps play calling. I’ve seen enough improvement where I wouldn’t put CDP on the hot seat.

Defense:

DT: Meets Expectation - This group had very little depth in the transition and was going to be the toughest over haul. We’ve added bodies but needs improvement. Our DT personnel is probably more suited to a 4-2-5, but my expectations weren’t high for this group in year 3.

DE - Meets Expectation - This group hasn’t generated the pressure consistently which isn’t different from the previous regime, but it has more depth now. Overall I believe the team has been generating more sacks the last few years than the previous regime.

LB - Meets Expectation - This wasn’t a deep group in the transition and I believe we are building depth and using transfers to fill upper class men voids.

CB - Well Below expectation - At the start of the CGC era I expected improvement here. I feel like the group has regressed even with what would appears to be an increase in talent.

Safety - Well below expectation - I’ve never believed our safety’s were great in coverage, but with the experience I expected solid play.

Defense: Overall this group hasn’t improved and may actually be regressing in the secondary. I had higher expectations by year three than I did on the offense. This was also supposed to be the strength of our head coach. In my opinion, the DC and secondary coaches are more on the hot seat than the offensive side.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with this but I will say that this is Coach Collins' program for better or worse. Let him run it his way but right now it would appear that he is close to running this program into the ground and a never never land of reduced expectations and irrelevance such as has been experienced by former elite programs like Tennessee and Nebraska. It happened to them so it can certainly happen to us.
I live in Nebraska. You’re spot on. We also have 3 wins, and no answers with our savior. We fired coaches that were 10-3 and 9-4

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Collins is at least smart enough to fire either the OC or DC. (Or both)... Just to guarantee another 2 years, as head coach. I think if he sticks with the current staff, he will not make it to year 5.....

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow

Yes turn his own thing around. Never thought Paul or Chan were that bad. I live in Nebraska most of the year, we’ve fired winning coaches and now have 3 win seasons like my alma mater