Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Animal02

Banned
we don't really know that for sure. Here is the issue....you offer a man (or woman) 7 figures to accept a job. Doesn't matter what the job is. How many people do you believe would turn that offer down by saying that I'm simply not ready at this point in my career? At CGC's salary, I would have accepted the job and I am willing to be candid and honest enough to say that I am not qualified. Maybe the only job I would not accept at that salary is airline pilot or demolition expert.
I've turn down design jobs that would have been very lucrative because I knew I was not qualified for. My issue with the contract he received is there was NOTHING in it for Tech.....no benchmarks, no minimums. Would have had no problem with the money being paid based on wins, incentives etc. TS gave away the store for no reason

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've turn down design jobs that would have been very lucrative because I knew I was not qualified for. My issue with the contract he received is there was NOTHING in it for Tech.....no benchmarks, no minimums. Would have had no problem with the money being paid based on wins, incentives etc. TS gave away the store for no reason

My guess is that we were never offerred guaranteed 7 figure contracts. We had to assess each opportunity in front of us much more carefully than any of these guys do. When you can fail and be set up for life financially, you are not really taking a risk.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nvm
In fairness, this isn't the first time he's taken responsibility. Fans are probably just drowning in the volume of platitudes and missed the prior statements of culpability that they're looking for.

But ultimately as you said the results haven't really changed, which is what we care most about.
Well yeah, I mean he loses credibility when he says during the week that he knows what’s wrong with the secondary and then they come out blowing coverage all over the field that leads to huge plays.

Animal02

Banned
My guess is that we were never offerred guaranteed 7 figure contracts. We had to assess each opportunity in front of us much more carefully than any of these guys do. When you can fail and be set up for life financially, you are not really taking a risk.
Which is part of my point, going back three years....there was absolutely no risk on Collins part. No need for performance. TS screwed the pooch.

slugboy

Staff member
I agree and did like the post, but how many of those other coaches did Todd hire?
Volleyball coach and women’s basketball coach, at least. And, aside from Reveno, I think all the assistant men’s basketball coaches turned over under TStan’s watch.

Edit: Volleyball coach (Collier) has been here 8 years.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
Volleyball coach and women’s basketball coach, at least. And, aside from Reveno, I think all the assistant men’s basketball coaches turned over under TStan’s watch.
Softball coach too. Also upgraded baseball staff. We had our highest Directors Cup finish this past year in quite some time. Football results have a way of overshadowing the rest of Athletics for better or worse.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that Stansbury hired Collins with guidance from the GTAA Board of Trustees. If you think Stansbury is not up to the job, they are the folks to call. Their Fall meeting is next week, so your timing is perfect. Go for it.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that Stansbury hired Collins with guidance from the GTAA Board of Trustees. If you think Stansbury is not up to the job, they are the folks to call. Their Fall meeting is next week, so your timing is perfect. Go for it.

Perhaps the Board of Trustees’ effort just isn’t elite enough. Maybe they just aren’t working hard enough to complete the greatest transition in the galaxy of all time. I don’t think I love the Board of Trustees right now like I do the players and won’t until their effort becomes more elite in everything they do.

What was the question again Ken??? 😏

herb

Helluva Engineer
If that is true, and I have no reason to believe it is or isn’t, what exactly does this group have that gives you any confidence they know anything about football? https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content...TAA-Board-of-Trustees-Roster-October-2021.pdf

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

S.GAFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Army Football Dancing GIF by GoArmyWestPoint

Bring back the guy who coaches these dudes. Bring his DC back with him as well. It's that simple.
Amen

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

I remember another hot shot SEC DC who got a HC job and was struggling through a very bad year, his first.
He kept telling his assistants to "see the vision through."
Meanwhile, he was interviewing for the DC job at Texas.

I don't think CGC is doing that.
But WTH else is he supposed to say at this point? "You guys abandon ship, I'm in over my head"?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

herb

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of people posting here that probably know a sight less, and yet no one seems to be shy about letting their opinion be known.
Perhaps, perhaps not. 8 faculty members. 3 student members. One alumni who is on the board of trustees. Have not looked up the other three

Animal02

Banned
I remember another hot shot SEC DC who got a HC job and was struggling through a very bad year, his first.
He kept telling his assistants to "see the vision through."
Meanwhile, he was interviewing for the DC job at Texas.

I don't think CGC is doing that.
But WTH else is he supposed to say at this point? "You guys abandon ship, I'm in over my head"?
That would be a start..GC admitting he is in over his head.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My problem with the football program is that Collins made a huge deal about changing the perception of GT football. Some of his comments were borderline criticisms of Paul Johnson. Right now the perceptions are going in the wrong direction. His PR heavy approach is beginning to look like that was all he ever had. I am not sure he has much more time to turn things around before its simply too late.