Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think we beat Duke easily. If not, we are in deep trouble.

As people struggle with where our next wins will come from, or how long before Tech has a winning season again, I am struck all over again with how amazing the 2014 season was. That year we played eight teams with winning records, and several bowl teams, beating 3 teams with 10 win seasons. I must have taken some of that for granted at the time because now such an accomplishment seems like an impossible hill to get over.

I’m still hanging on to 7 wins this season.
Do optimists still feel optimistic after, as Grizzard would say, the Tech football program rips your heart out and stomps that sucker flat?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course, but going into NIU the team was pumped with sunshine all off season and believed they were good. Coming into Duke we just got gang handled at home by over 30. If we don’t respond Saturday then Collins has lost the team. And I’m not talking about a win. I don’t care about wins or losses. I care about process and if our process shows itself to be inept again after losing by 30 at home then turn out the lights.
You have no way of knowing any of this. All you can realistically say is the fanbase will throw another temper tantrum. That same crew will over any loss at this point. But you aren't qualified to say if or when he loses the team

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course, but going into NIU the team was pumped with sunshine all off season and believed they were good. Coming into Duke we just got gang handled at home by over 30. If we don’t respond Saturday then Collins has lost the team. And I’m not talking about a win. I don’t care about wins or losses. I care about process and if our process shows itself to be inept again after losing by 30 at home then turn out the lights.
Wow, this post is one hell of a walkback from your unequivicable "We are going to beat Duke easily. They match up poorly with us. We have too much firepower and speed compared to them. This is a game where we athlete them no matter what scheme" boast.

You fell back from that to
"If we don’t respond Saturday then Collins has lost the team."

You clearly lost a lot of bravado when confronted with the NIU comparison.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We fired Gailey (which I had no problem with) for:
Not beating Ugag,
Maxing out with7-8 wins,
Having a good defense, but no offense,
Inconsistent QB play,
Good recruiting per se,
And splitting the fan base.

I miss those days.
Admiral James Stockdale commanded the POW's in Viet Nam, living out the war without any prisoner's rights, no set release date, and no certainty as to whether he would survive. Asked of those POW's in his unit, "Who didn't make it out?", he quipped, "The optimists".

The money, the facilities, the fanbases, the media, the academics ... are formidable. We can all be committed to the ideal that despite it all, GT is still playing D1 football and at a good level. To think we are going to be competing for national titles is a stretch. CPJ had it right ... Tech is a long-term 7-8 win program.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have read more than a few posts on this. I'll say this. If anything CGC is a politician. He'll offer P'naude as the sacrificial lamb, should we win less than 5 games, this year. I think that would give the fan some sort of satisfaction. If we fail to win 6 games in 2022, the lamb will become Thacker. He will buy himself 3 more seasons, regardless of outcome, just from that logic. Am I wrong???

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, this post is one hell of a walkback from your unequivicable "We are going to beat Duke easily. They match up poorly with us. We have too much firepower and speed compared to them. This is a game where we athlete them no matter what scheme" boast.

You fell back from that to
"If we don’t respond Saturday then Collins has lost the team."

You clearly lost a lot of bravado when confronted with the NIU comparison.
Not at all. The pattern is fairly clear. I think we will easily beat Duke because they won’t stop our offense. They match up poorly with our skilled players, aka speed from Sims, Gibbs, Smith, WR’s. We lost NIU because our staff and players actually believed the sunshine Collins was pumping all off season and then NIU showed up and punched them all in the face. And we know Collins rarely recovers from a direct punch. But, if we don’t win Saturday that tells me that the team has quit. There is absolutely no way a team that cares loses at home by 30 and then follows that up with a loss to Duke, None.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
After that display Saturday, I think it would be a dead heat between Thacker and Patenaude. Patenaude appears to have trouble in the red zone and Thacker's defenses run hot and cold. We've had some pretty big scores put on us since those two have been here. Pitt was nice to us by not scoring from the one yard line with plenty of time to do it (59-21). So we've seen scores of 41, 45, 48, 49, 52, 52. 73, and remember we couldn't stop NIU with 2 minutes to go and allowed a 2 pt. conversion to end the game. Then there was the first time since 1957 we got shut out at home by VPI and scored 2 points against mighty Temple. I don't see a bright future with either guy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's not a matter of whether our DC and OC are the issue. It's a matter of survival from CGC. I DO see him as the type that will throw people under buses to save his own butt. Now, as for whether TStan will be able to see through it, that one I don't know..... My hope is we win 6-7 games and we turn the corner and everyone is praising CGC.... However; facts are...we just aren't a consistently good team. At least, not at this point. I think we lack the talent on the LOS (both the O and the D). We have some great skilled players....however; they need some hog mollies to block for them.
This is only my opinion our OC is what I would say is a C student easy stuff he can handle but if something new comes up he will give you an answer but most the time it's wrong. But after a day and you ask him he may come up with the right answer but then it's to late.

Now the DC seems to be that smart guy in the class so you ask him for help he tells you but its like listening to your wife , you have no idea what he said. Just cause you know something doesn't mean you can teach it.

Now for the head coach he is that college professor that if you talk to him or ask a question doesn't want to be called professor A but wants you to call him Doctor A. Spends a lot of time telling you how he did in college and not teaching you the material . The hope here is one day he will stop telling you how great he is and start teaching you what you need to pass the class.

And last the fans 1/2 get sick of trying to follow the professor and think they know more than him. the other 1/2 are like me have no idea what the fu^k is going on in the class but hang in there hoping things get better or the college finds a new professor

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You have no way of knowing any of this. All you can realistically say is the fanbase will throw another temper tantrum. That same crew will over any loss at this point. But you aren't qualified to say if or when he loses the team
None of us are qualified to say anything because there is no definition of “qualified”. I fully admit I have no inside clue. I go by actions, not words. Losing by over 30 at home to an unranked Pitt team says a lot regardless of what anyone actually says.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I have read more than a few posts on this. I'll say this. If anything CGC is a politician. He'll offer P'naude as the sacrificial lamb, should we win less than 5 games, this year. I think that would give the fan some sort of satisfaction. If we fail to win 6 games in 2022, the lamb will become Thacker. He will buy himself 3 more seasons, regardless of outcome, just from that logic. Am I wrong???
Probably right but I’m not sure if Patenaude and/or Thacker is the problem. There’s only a handful of people that would truly know. Maybe TStan is close enough to everything to know if that “sacrifice” is appropriate.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It depends. If we show improvement and avoid the blowouts. Get blown out against Ugag, none of our fans in the stands, and one more big loss will send up smoke signals.

Last edited:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think coaches losing the team should be the debate. But I do think playing with confidence (not over confident) is crucial. That means the players feel the coaches are calling the right schemes to make them successful. That allows you to play fast and loose and make the right plays. I think our biggest issue is the coaches take a long time to make play calls (particularly on defense) and I think the players in many cases are confused and hesitant. Bringing up (hesitantly) our previous regime, I think the offense completely trusted Johnson on play calls (whether they worked or not). But on defense and special teams under Johnson, the same didn't hold true. It takes significant money to hire strong head coaches AND coordinators which you need to put your teams consistently in the best position to win. The best programs have all 3 and don't hesitate to get rid of coaches that don't meet expectations. But you truly do need a big budget to pull that off. Without that, you do need to take a lot more chances on your hires. Maybe highly successful Group of 5 coaches who want to move up (of course that is what we have on staff now).

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
You're doing it wrong. It's really year 0+1. Covid year didn't count and W-L's don't count. He's going to be here for 7 years so none of this matters.

(tongue in cheek of course).
They played the games didn't they?
I believe everyone experienced the covid season. It's year 3 ! So far not even a 2 game win streak in this tenure.
He'll he is being paid more than enough for the results he has given us.

slugboy

Staff member
If anyone here still has any hope we aren’t getting blown out by ugag…I’ll have what you’re drinking.
wednesday addams drinking GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If anyone here still has any hope we aren’t getting blown out by ugag…I’ll have what you’re drinking.
Well, yes and no. Clemson did not get blown out by uga and we did not get blown out by Clemson so in theory with good prep, execution and game management we should play uga a respectable game.

But, yeah, we’re going to get blown out. Pittsburgh exposed too many of our weaknesses.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Well, yes and no. Clemson did not get blown out by uga and we did not get blown out by Clemson so in theory with good prep, execution and game management we should play uga a respectable game.

But, yeah, we’re going to get blown out. Pittsburgh exposed too many of our weaknesses.

I think one just needs to look at what Clemson and Georgia have both done since their game to see they are both trending in very opposite directions. I do not think keeping close with this Clemson team is much of a indicator of what we can do against UGA. But I hope I’m wrong!