Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They'd be in the 22-15 range is they were in the SEC. It's all just so garbage. (Not saying they should or shouldn't be ranked).
I’m not sure that’s true. Besides, Clemson might as well be in the SEC in the eyes of the pollsters. Florida is the only team with 2 losses that is ranked. Their 2 losses to Alabama and Kentucky are very comparable right now to Clemson’s against UGA and NC State. But in defense of Florida, they’ve dominated the other 3 games they’ve played. Clemson has barely looked competent in theirs. If Clemson wins big next week against Syracuse, and some more of the 1-loss teams lose I could see them getting back in around 25

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Right now, yes.

Listen, there’s no arguing CPJ was a much better game day coach than Collins. And there are many things on far days that frustrate me, but there have been improvements in this team from last year to this year and week to week (not so much this week though).

Our biggest issue is at the LOS.
Most issues are. I can recall Bill Curry , 35 years ago, saying that it doesn’t matter what play you run if the line won’t block.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is partially true. Collins may have oversold his ability with the salesman pitch, but I also think we're at an inflection point where we may simply have to admit , the program was at a low point in all regards when CPJ retired. Obviously there will be disagreements on this. But I honestly think many of us didn't see this transition / rebuild would take us into year 3 and now maybe 4.

I'm just hoping we can shake off yesterday and pull another UNC
Many of us did.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I am missing something here. Is the misspelling of Furman a typo or a joke that I don't understand??? My niece is a grad student there and might appreciate the humor.
Typo not withstanding, look up the Bill Curry years and the humiliating losses we endured. There were many, but Furman holds a position of prominence on that list. Twice. And anyone who lived through that could see the current train wreck forming when this current hire was made. Classy coach, says all the right things, fits the profile the administration was looking for, recruits good kids, and can’t coach a lick.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been listening to this recruiting BS for about 40 years. We are never going to out recruit the factories in the SEC with a curriculum that still focuses on engineering and science. We need a guy with a system that works for GT and an administration that backs him up, rather than a guy who is just trying to follow the formula at Alabama and Oklahoma. Watch ‘Moneyball’. You can’t beat the NY Yankees by being a smaller, underfunded version of the NY Yankees. Collins isn’t the guy. He needs to go and Stansbury needs to follow him.

Who said we would be out recruiting factories? No one person. But, if you pay attention, we are absolutely recruiting better under Collins. He's taking the GOL approach on the lines, too- you can't coach height and weight. We are building the lines with big bodies. We are recruiting better skill position players. We have a talented roster now, but at year five (with building experience with size), we should see what Collins can do. Shut up with the curriculum - this isn't the Tech you went to in 1943-1963. We have avenues that certain players that aren't at your "Tech standard" that can slide by. Plus, the number of resources in tutors, study halls, etc., right now are better than they have ever been.

"Watch Moneyball?" My goodness. Plus, you contradict your point by saying "you can’t beat the NY Yankees by being a smaller, underfunded version of the NY Yankees." Have you been to a game this year?! We aren't smaller! CPJ was the smaller, underfunded team. Todd has put the money into the Collins era.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Classy coach, says all the right things, fits the profile the administration was looking for, recruits good kids, and can’t coach a lick.
The difference between Curry and Collins is Curry was honesty that he couldn't coach. He had Dodd tutor him. Geoff says ad nauseam that he is building an elite team but ... does he actually know how?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Typo not withstanding, look up the Bill Curry years and the humiliating losses we endured. There were many, but Furman holds a position of prominence on that list. Twice. And anyone who lived through that could see the current train wreck forming when this current hire was made. Classy coach, says all the right things, fits the profile the administration was looking for, recruits good kids, and can’t coach a lick.
I do not want to get into an argument with you, but what does Bill Curry's tenure at GT have to do with Geoff Collins? FWIW, Bill Curry was the ACC COY in 1985 and was hire away from GT to be the Alabama head coach. His record at Bama was 26-10. How many Bama coaches not named Bryant or Saban have done better?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Who said we would be out recruiting factories? No one person. But, if you pay attention, we are absolutely recruiting better under Collins. He's taking the GOL approach on the lines, too- you can't coach height and weight. We are building the lines with big bodies. We are recruiting better skill position players. We have a talented roster now, but at year five (with building experience with size), we should see what Collins can do. Shut up with the curriculum - this isn't the Tech you went to in 1943-1963. We have avenues that certain players that aren't at your "Tech standard" that can slide by. Plus, the number of resources in tutors, study halls, etc., right now are better than they have ever been.

"Watch Moneyball?" My goodness. Plus, you contradict your point by saying "you can’t beat the NY Yankees by being a smaller, underfunded version of the NY Yankees." Have you been to a game this year?! We aren't smaller! CPJ was the smaller, underfunded team. Todd has put the money into the Collins era.

Seems like there has been a lot of ageism here recently. Old people this. Old people that. Seems the Collins’ cheerleaders see themselves as the new, young bloods here to bring a new era to Georgia Tech. Ironically, outside of this board, everyone I know who’s a fan hates Collins and we are all in our twenties and thirties.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like there has been a lot of ageism here recently. Old people this. Old people that. Seems the Collins’ cheerleaders see themselves as the new, young bloods here to bring a new era to Georgia Tech. Ironically, outside of this board, everyone I know who’s a fan hates Collins and we are all in our twenties and thirties.

It's not ageism. I am hoping Collins can be the guy, but I know GOL and Fridge were all-timers. Everyone I know in their 20's and 30's (which I am a part of), is giving him a chance. Overturning a 3-O option takes time. Something I guess the older guys don't have patience for (ok, I am sorry, that was ageism) which I understand.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I do not want to get into an argument with you, but what does Bill Curry's tenure at GT have to do with Geoff Collins? FWIW, Bill Curry was the ACC COY in 1985 and was hire away from GT to be the Alabama head coach. His record at Bama was 26-10. How many Bama coaches not named Bryant or Saban have done better?

Oriental, not sure of your age or when you started following Tech football, but Curry was an absolute train wreck for most of his tenure. Yes, he had a winning record at Alabama, but got a brick thrown through his office window because he couldn't beat Auburn. Many of his recruits were seniors on the 1992 national championship team that Gene Stallings coached, which shows what a real coach can do with talent.

Similar to Collins, Curry was in over his head for at least the first four years. Two 1 win seasons, a loss and tie to Furman, up and down game after game. He looked the part, like a model on the sidelines with his Ray Bans and Bike coaching pants, but he was no where near ready to be the coach of a major Division I team, not that we really were one at that point. Dodd certainly helped him and getting in better coordinators helped. Beating Clemson in 1984 helped turn the corner and 1985 was a good year. But we regressed in 1986 and thankfully Alabama came calling and we were able to get a real coach who won a national title in Year 4 after Curry left.

Curry was/is a great man and has a bucket full of stories about Dodd, Lombardi, Shula, etc., but I wouldn't want him anywhere near coaching a football team.

The comparison to Collins is most applicable in the games they lost that they shouldn't have (Citadel, NIU, Furman, etc.) and the overall feeling of "this coach is lost and is in over his head." Alabama would likely tell you the same thing. They didn't like hiring a coach from GT and ran him out of town to Kentucky as soon as they could, even with a 10-2 team in Year 3 that couldn't beat Auburn.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"this coach is lost and is in over his head."
Coaches at Tennessee refused to meet with former coaches. Two of them won national championships. I never understood that.

Curry admitted he wasn’t that great a coach. So, he sought help.

If I was Geoff, I would have a Zoom call after every game with Curry, GOL, Ross, and CPJ t9 discuss the game. Why not?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Coaches at Tennessee refused to meet with former coaches. Two of them won national championships. I never understood that.

If I was Geoff, I would have a Zoom call after every game with Curry, GOL, Ross, and CPJ t9 discuss the game. Why not?
In the post game conference CGC said he explained fully to the team what all went wrong. FWIF

slugboy

Staff member
The comparison to Collins is most applicable in the games they lost that they shouldn't have (Citadel, NIU, Furman, etc.) and the overall feeling of "this coach is lost and is in over his head." Alabama would likely tell you the same thing. They didn't like hiring a coach from GT and ran him out of town to Kentucky as soon as they could, even with a 10-2 team in Year 3 that couldn't beat Auburn.

Minor nitpicking, but a. they didn’t like having a coach who wasn’t from the Bear’s coaching tree (the Tech part was bad too, but mainly he “wasn’t a Bear coach”), b. his record was good except for against Auburn, which wasn’t tolerable to them, and c. the worst part was that he left for Kentucky before getting fired, which made him a hated man in Tuscaloosa. Alabama didn’t get a chance to run Curry out; Curry left “the best coaching job in America” willingly and ticked off a bunch of Bama fans in the process.

You can’t quit and go to another school; you have to stay there and let Alabama fire and embarrass you.

====
OrientalNC has been a fan long enough to remember Curry; I think he’s not seeing the point of comparing Curry and Collins.

I think Curry and Collins have some inexplicable losses in common, but Collins is much farther along than Curry was. Collins is also in a harsher overall coaching environment that Curry. Admittedly, the program was in sad shape when Curry took over, but the differences between the haves and the have-nots is much greater now than it was then, the need for money is much larger, and the latitude to get things squared away is much less.
=====
I think it was Andy Demetra I heard talking to Collins before kickoff (or at least a recording). The interview previewing the Pitt game was interesting to me. In most of the pressers, we don’t hear Collins breaking down the details of the game, but he did in the pregame. His overview of what we needed to do on defense was really good, and what you’d expect out of a former linebacker and defensive coordinator. His description of offense was a lot looser, and I could just hear a lot more comfort and depth in talking about defense.
I’ve heard a lot of people call him just a recruiter, or a “CEO head coach”, but he sounded like a coach who knows defense. The Pitt game wasn’t good defense, unfortunately. I think we need to get the offensive issues squared away so he can focus on the defense and get it into the range we want it to be.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I believe all of those guys would sincerely try to assist a humble young coach, but I can’t see him doing it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
True but as someone who lived through those years, I would argue that the rebuild facing Curry was far more challenging than the one that faces Coach Collins...and it is not even close on so many levels.