Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Collins is safe until year 5. Until we get past the point where his contract is fully guaranteed we will not fire him.
The fact that he was the hire of the big money people to begin with makes it more likely he stays longer.

I would like to see him be successful (that is my hope for every GT coach), but to this point there is not really alot to hang your hat on.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Blah, blah, blah, recruiting, blah, blah, blah, recruiting. I’ll take average recruits and a guy that can coach over a guy that can recruit and can’t coach, over and over again.
Look, I get it about recruits, Coach Heisman. But, it doesn't bother you as a Tech fan to see empty seats and then a sea of red in the stands at the end of the year when we get the dwags at home? Cool, brah.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Blah, blah, blah, recruiting, blah, blah, blah, recruiting. I’ll take average recruits and a guy that can coach over a guy that can recruit and can’t coach, over and over again.
I wanna see good recruiting and good coaching. Prior guy was good at the latter. Current guy is good at the former. Can we gene-splice the two?

This is Georgia Tech. We Can Do That!

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Or, it could be a sign of extremely young team. Two steps forward and one step back.

I’d concede to that if this was a trend for this season alone. However, this has been a trend his whole tenure here. I suppose you could argue we’ve been young the whole time, but I feel like at some point you have to admit the duck is a duck.

For those that want him fired, go open your wallets and donate for that buy-out plus getting a new coach.
You want changes, then we gotta pay for them. Todd isn't going to fire Collins, he may request that he make some changes on his staff etc. But I imagine that Convo will happen at the end of the season.

Again, I don’t think anyone is actually saying he should be fired right now. I think a lot of us are just looking at the results and expecting it to eventually happen when it’s financially possible.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Last I heard we would need like 23 million for the buyout ....

Honestly Todd needs to get on him about this and figure out what if any changes need to be made with his staffing. But I don't see us paying that buy out anytime soon.
And honestly what coach would come here knowing that they have already a hard time with tech being tech, and that the fans will run them out this quick .

It sucks but that's the hard truth of it. We're in this for another year or two
Yeah Todd needs to show him some tough love. It’s ok to be all in on recruiting but as an alumnus (3x) and fan CGC is an embassment

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Look, I get it about recruits, Coach Heisman. But, it doesn't bother you as a Tech fan to see empty seats and then a sea of red in the stands at the end of the year when we get the dwags at home? Cool, brah.
Again consider the difference between alumni fans and fans. All fans are welcome but they can cheer for who ever they find interesting

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Last I heard we would need like 23 million for the buyout ....

Honestly Todd needs to get on him about this and figure out what if any changes need to be made with his staffing. But I don't see us paying that buy out anytime soon.
And honestly what coach would come here knowing that they have already a hard time with tech being tech, and that the fans will run them out this quick .

It sucks but that's the hard truth of it. We're in this for another year or two
For 23 million buyout, the line will be out the door.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d concede to that if this was a trend for this season alone. However, this has been a trend his whole tenure here. I suppose you could argue we’ve been young the whole time, but I feel like at some point you have to admit the duck is a duck.

Again, I don’t think anyone is actually saying he should be fired right now. I think a lot of us are just looking at the results and expecting it to eventually happen when it’s financially possible.
Agree. For a buyout, give me an alternative.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
At some point, someone is going to talk to Stansbury as well. A 7 year contract is unconscionable.

I realize that this was the greatest transition in the history of the world and that we are so unbelievably elite at everything we do and that we love each other, but you should know by year 3 or 4 at the latest if this is working or not. We likely can’t fire him until the end of Year 5. We may not have 15,000 people at the games in Year 5 if this continues.

Stansbury may have killed the football program for the next 5 or 10 years with this hire and if we keep losing, the next coach won’t have the benefit of Collins’ elite recruiting.

I hope he figures it out and we win out, but today was so disappointing after last week. The UNC game was probably the best time I’ve had at a Tech game since 2017 or 2018. Just sad state of where we are right now.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Stansbury may have killed the football program for the next 5 or 10 years with this hire and if we keep losing, the next coach won’t have the benefit of Collins’ elite recruiting.
Tennessee, with all its fans, resources, and facilities ... has wandered in the wasteland for 14 years. They've been through 5 coaches and are just now getting *some* mojo back. Remember, Butch Jones was the 7th coach they talked to ... no one wanted the job.

We will always be able to get someone to coach at Tech. It just may not be anyone we would want.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just not true. We won four games in a row in 2018, with some very impressive offensive performances.
Against who?

6-7 VT team, 7-6 Miami team, 2-9 UNC, and an OT win against an 8-5 UVA team (with impressive wins against Richmond, Ohio, Liberty and an ACC win against 2-9 UNC).

None of those teams were ranked. We don’t know where Clemson or UNC will finish the year, but both teams on paper are significantly better than any of the teams we played in that 4 game stretch.

The 2 decent teams we played (Miami and UVA), we had right at 300 yards of total offense and were actually out gained by 100 yards in the UVA game.

I will admit, watching Oliver run all over VT was a lot of fun that year.

I’m just saying the team had played 3 really good weeks of football. We sucked today. I missed the first half so maybe that’s why I’m not worked up as some of y’all.

OL seems to be the major problem. And play calling in the redzone. That needs to be addressed but the former can’t just be fixed overnight.

We’ve tried to plug holes while the young guys mature with transfers but it’s not panning out as well as we’d hoped.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Against who?

6-7 VT team, 7-6 Miami team, 2-9 UNC, and an OT win against an 8-5 UVA team (with impressive wins against Richmond, Ohio, Liberty and an ACC win against 2-9 UNC).

None of those teams were ranked. We don’t know where Clemson or UNC will finish the year, but both teams on paper are significantly better than any of the teams we played in that 4 game stretch.

The 2 decent teams we played (Miami and UVA), we had right at 300 yards of total offense and were actually out gained by 100 yards in the UVA game.

I will admit, watching Oliver run all over VT was a lot of fun that year.

I’m just saying the team had played 3 really good weeks of football. We sucked today. I missed the first half so maybe that’s why I’m not worked up as some of y’all.

OL seems to be the major problem. And play calling in the redzone. That needs to be addressed but the former can’t just be fixed overnight.

We’ve tried to plug holes while the young guys mature with transfers but it’s not panning out as well as we’d hoped.
Open your eyes man. CGC would give his right arm for a 4 game win streak at this point.

Today was not good, but there still plenty of season left. People need to relax until the season is over.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Sooooooo, its looking like after every loss this thread will get a bump so part of the people on this forum can vent all in one place. Also, after every win the "Hire Geoff Collins" thread will get a bump so another portion of the people on this forum can gloat and say how their happy to eat their words. If nothing else it should be interesting to watch how these threads unfold throughout this season