Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cannot like this enough. It ain’t about being an 18-22 year old’s friend - it is about instilling discipline & growing them up. Yes, young men still need what they’ve always needed, today even more than before.
Kids these days are different. I’m on the very old side of being a millennial, and my own kids frustrate me. All kids these days are entitled and fragile. They want and expect things without earning anything. They cry about being told “no”. I’m 100% in favor of some tough love. I never had a coach that wasn’t afraid to chew me out. After getting chewed out and understanding why it was always love and respect.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This week is was a critical point in CGC’s tenure. He needed so show that the team could continue a positive trend and build on success. He failed IMO. I could not have scripted a worse showing this week after the win against uNC. Over the past two weeks all he did was dig himself a deeper hole.

Pretty slim chance he is retained. Likely just a matter of time until we are ok paying to replace him.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Kids these days are different. I’m on the very old side of being a millennial, and my own kids frustrate me. All kids these days are entitled and fragile. They want and expect things without earning anything. They cry about being told “no”. I’m 100% in favor of some tough love. I never had a coach that wasn’t afraid to chew me out. After getting chewed out and understanding why it was always love and respect.
Let them cry… kind of a key part to being a parent.

…or coach I guess. Let’s just say mentor.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m ok with this. New coordinators sound good to me. I don’t mind some of the position coaches but CGC needs to make a change somewhere soon or else he will be changed.
Although there is more to the story, Auburn’s coach fired his receivers coach last week, four games in. Accountability. I don’t recall Tech doing this for a very long time, if ever.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I‘d rather have a coach who has a scheme for what to do on the field than a schtick for what to do off the field.
I’d like to follow up on this (after the edit window expired) to clarify my position.

I don’t like posting in this thread, simply because of the thread title. I don’t want to see Collins summarily fired, and I understand that he still needs time to get things into place.

I personally don’t like the “style“ he has displayed—but I get that his style is not directed at me. (At some point, I hope he realizes he should start addressing himself to people like me who are significant, not necessarily “major”, contributors to the program…but he gets a pass on that for now, as he builds “his” program.)

I get that he is targeting the kids that he wants to draw into the program. But when the dust settles, those 17/18-year-olds aren’t dummies. If they start to see that Collins‘ persona is empty “schtick” rather than real “scheme”, his recruiting prowess is in danger of drying up. I don’t want to see that happen, because it is the obvious strength that he brings to the table.

Really—I like what he is doing in terms of bringing talent to our program. That being said, I am worried that the inconsistency of our performance on the field will ultimately turn away that talent. If we are going to recruit with an aim toward “preparing student-athletes to become pros”, we need to start showing week-to-week consistency on the field that will show those kids that this is the place to be.

Talking “the talk” and dressing in skinny-leg pants might seem cool on the surface, but if there is not substance underneath that—and so far we have not shown that reliably—kids will see through it.

Bottom line: I want GT to be successful. As long as CGC is our coach, I want him to be successful. I’m hoping that the mis-steps that I’ve seen so far from our coaches will get fixed, and that this “fire Geoff Collins” thread will die in a blaze of spectacular wins.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to follow up on this (after the edit window expired) to clarify my position.

I don’t like posting in this thread, simply because of the thread title. I don’t want to see Collins summarily fired, and I understand that he still needs time to get things into place.

I personally don’t like the “style“ he has displayed—but I get that his style is not directed at me. (At some point, I hope he realizes he should start addressing himself to people like me who are significant, not necessarily “major”, contributors to the program…but he gets a pass on that for now, as he builds “his” program.)

I get that he is targeting the kids that he wants to draw into the program. But when the dust settles, those 17/18-year-olds aren’t dummies. If they start to see that Collins‘ persona is empty “schtick” rather than real “scheme”, his recruiting prowess is in danger of drying up. I don’t want to see that happen, because it is the obvious strength that he brings to the table.

Really—I like what he is doing in terms of bringing talent to our program. That being said, I am worried that the inconsistency of our performance on the field will ultimately turn away that talent. If we are going to recruit with an aim toward “preparing student-athletes to become pros”, we need to start showing week-to-week consistency on the field that will show those kids that this is the place to be.

Talking “the talk” and dressing in skinny-leg pants might seem cool on the surface, but if there is not substance underneath that—and so far we have not shown that reliably—kids will see through it.

Bottom line: I want GT to be successful. As long as CGC is our coach, I want him to be successful. I’m hoping that the mis-steps that I’ve seen so far from our coaches will get fixed, and that this “fire Geoff Collins” thread will die in a blaze of spectacular wins.
This post is extremely practical. But Geoff is making $3M+ a year to field a team prepared to compete. If they are not prepared, he should say so ... and communicate the measures and milestones to ALL stakeholders and demonstrate progress. (E.g., Year 1 ... build a staff, Year 2, recruit, Year 3 ... deploy the program, etc). To my view, he communicates nor comments to nothing other than vague promises to be elite. He may very well be elite ... but there’s a reason BDS is empty. He’s selling to an audience that is not buying.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Although there is more to the story, Auburn’s coach fired his receivers coach last week, four games in. Accountability. I don’t recall Tech doing this for a very long time, if ever.
I am sure a Tech coach has done this...but damn if I can ever remember it happening other than Al Groh. Seems to be a rarity anyway. The closest that I can think of is Coach Dodd got rid of two long time assistants who had coached with him for Coach Alexander. In his biography, Dodd said that it was the hardest thing he had to do but the game had, as the expression goes, passed them by and so he did it and replaced them with Frank Broyles and Ray Graves, two of the very best. For all his folksy charm, Dodd could be as tough and ruthless as any of them.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Starts in the home.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This week is was a critical point in CGC’s tenure. He needed so show that the team could continue a positive trend and build on success. He failed IMO. I could not have scripted a worse showing this week after the win against uNC. Over the past two weeks all he did was dig himself a deeper hole.

Pretty slim chance he is retained. Likely just a matter of time until we are ok paying to replace him.
Last I heard we would need like 23 million for the buyout ....

Honestly Todd needs to get on him about this and figure out what if any changes need to be made with his staffing. But I don't see us paying that buy out anytime soon.
And honestly what coach would come here knowing that they have already a hard time with tech being tech, and that the fans will run them out this quick .

It sucks but that's the hard truth of it. We're in this for another year or two

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lewis was fired during the season and replaced by GOL.