Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll always support the GT coach. And believe me, I’m not a wins or losses guy. I know our program limitations because I hear it directly from the horses mouth, aka high school players and coaches. Collins has made incredible in roads on that front. No way a player like Willis from Lee County even returns our call 2 years ago. I’ve seen stud after stud from Colquitt County, Lee County, Bainbridge, Valdosta, Thomasville, Lowndes, etc go everywhere (FSU, Auburn, UGA, Florida) except GT. Collins is changing that which is huge.

BUT, I’m the type of fan most don’t like. I rarely cheer or even show emotion during a game because my mind is in the game. I’m looking at officials placing the ball, I’m watching for when the play clock gets started in relation to our QB getting the call from the sidelines. Im looking at the cushions our DB‘s are giving in relation to down and distance. I’m exhausted after games. I’ve given Collins rope figuring maybe it just took season 1 for the staff to mesh along with not having a legit QB on roster. After the Pitt game last year I just sat in Bobby Dodd and reality hit me. I couldn’t move. We didn’t look like a team in any aspect. We were a collection of individuals with no direction. Then the NIU game was just more of the same. It‘s not even the loss. We’ve had bad losses before and I never felt like this because I knew why we lost. Citadel, for instance, just wanted to win more and their players were just tougher and smarter. It wasn’t a fluke. The NIU game had no reasons other than pure ineptitude. There was nothing redeeming. There coach even said it without saying it. Empty stats are just that - empty. We came out flat and poorly coached and finished flat and poorly coached. I expect us to win some games because we play some very good teams and also play a lot of mediocre teams who will give us some wins. But, I can’t find much positive when it comes to Game Day coaching for Collins. And forget offense for a second, our defense takes such poor angles and shows no discipline that we make mid level players on the other team look like stars. That Pitt RB looked like an All American and we made Rocky look like a dang field general.

I posted earlier this week that I see more discipline and accountability by coaches on Friday nights than I’ve seen at GT since he’s been here. I am rooting for him to turn the corner.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll always support the GT coach. And believe me, I’m not a wins or losses guy. I know our program limitations because I hear it directly from the horses mouth, aka high school players and coaches. Collins has made incredible in roads on that front. No way a player like Willis from Lee County even returns our call 2 years ago. I’ve seen stud after stud from Colquitt County, Lee County, Bainbridge, Valdosta, Thomasville, Lowndes, etc go everywhere (FSU, Auburn, UGA, Florida) except GT. Collins is changing that which is huge.

BUT, I’m the type of fan most don’t like. I rarely cheer or even show emotion during a game because my mind is in the game. I’m looking at officials placing the ball, I’m watching for when the play clock gets started in relation to our QB getting the call from the sidelines. Im looking at the cushions our DB‘s are giving in relation to down and distance. I’m exhausted after games. I’ve given Collins rope figuring maybe it just took season 1 for the staff to mesh along with not having a legit QB on roster. After the Pitt game last year I just sat in Bobby Dodd and reality hit me. I couldn’t move. We didn’t look like a team in any aspect. We were a collection of individuals with no direction. Then the NIU game was just more of the same. It‘s not even the loss. We’ve had bad losses before and I never felt like this because I knew why we lost. Citadel, for instance, just wanted to win more and their players were just tougher and smarter. It wasn’t a fluke. The NIU game had no reasons other than pure ineptitude. There was nothing redeeming. There coach even said it without saying it. Empty stats are just that - empty. We came out flat and poorly coached and finished flat and poorly coached. I expect us to win some games because we play some very good teams and also play a lot of mediocre teams who will give us some wins. But, I can’t find much positive when it comes to Game Day coaching for Collins. And forget offense for a second, our defense takes such poor angles and shows no discipline that we make mid level players on the other team look like stars. That Pitt RB looked like an All American and we made Rocky look like a dang field general.

I posted earlier this week that I see more discipline and accountability by coaches on Friday nights than I’ve seen at GT since he’s been here. I am rooting for him to turn the corner.
Why? Did you also support Bud Carson?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm well CPJ was always competitive against those schools. Isn’t that why we changed coaches? To be competitive against Clemson and Georgia?
We were competitive to a certain point. I remember when Clemson fans dreaded coming to bobby Dodd to play CPJ. But once Clemson got to National Champ level we couldn't keep up recruiting wise and Dabo knew how to shut us down. In the last few years of CPJ we were not close to being competitive.
Clemson is in a different league than most of the ACC. We just need to be competitive with the rest of the ACC to start.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
And your point being? Again isn’t that why we hired CGC?
My point is that even CPJ didn’t have us competitive at the end, and he’s a HOF coach. Clemson and ugag have ascended to the top 5 perennial programs while we have gotten worse.
im all for holding the staff accountable, but if your bar is beating those two schools consistently, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Is it poss
I wanted to like this but I can't. Even though it is 100% true and I agree with it so much. When did sports (and perhaps even life) quit becoming fun for so many people? You can't say it's the current coach because there has been a steady stream of bitching and moaning dating back through the CPJ and CCG eras as well. It's supposed to be a game. Was it the injection of money? Increased TV coverage? Social media? Post modernism malaise? Existential angst? Exponential rise in the cost of good beef brisket? I am increasingly perplexed why people who are so miserable follow the game and understand how these same people may turn off potential fans and customers.
Social media?

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Meh. I get what you’re saying, but the team has its pregame routine and it good to keep consistency. The pregame show director should have communicated better with GC.
Right, the coaches ain’t got a clue what the band is up to. They’re only concerned with one thing. Warming up while the band is still playing is a very common thing. I agree that it was probably not the best look this weekend. If it falls on anyone, it should be on an on field gameday operations person, if that is a thing (I’m sure it is).

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, thank goodness we won and now have bragging rights over KSU. I‘m happy about that. What I saw was an option team that turned it over. And we all know how that goes for an option team. We’ll win 4-5 games because we’ll have a few more games where our opponent stinks and we play ok. We’ll also have some games where both teams play ok and a late play will decide it. We’ll also have games where we are just outclassed. But as always I’m looking forward to all the games.

As for the Bud Carson question, I was born in 1970 so I have no idea what Bud Carson looks like although I did wiki him.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Well, thank goodness we won and now have bragging rights over KSU. I‘m happy about that. What I saw was an option team that turned it over. And we all know how that goes for an option team. We’ll win 4-5 games because we’ll have a few more games where our opponent stinks and we play ok. We’ll also have some games where both teams play ok and a late play will decide it. We’ll also have games where we are just outclassed. But as always I’m looking forward to all the games.

to those that don’t understand wherwe are at. This is true.

Yes. We have Some good transfers but we are still a year or two away from competing with the everyone. We are still young and the guys that we think should put us over the top(white/Harris/Scott/Kirby/eley/Clayton) aren’t playing or haven’t done much so far this year.

temper your enthusiasm folks. There’s a reason these guys transferred.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

looking forward to the coaching change - do love this school….
Totally agree. That was right in front of where I was sitting and a classless act. I was stunned. That tells us a lot about Collins. He allowed the team to kick field goals, do warms up, and for his coaches to blow their whistles, while the two bands had joined together and were playing a beautiful and somber rendition of God Bless America. Stansbury should chew Collins out for that.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Well, would love to hear more about this. If real, this takes him to a new low for me, and that’s saying something.
Was in 218 right above the endzone and had a really good view. Players drifted out while the band was aligned and playing. The band near line was at the 15 stretched across the field and the players were aligned around the goal line across the field.. A Tech coach signaled for the team to line up start their warmups for the second half. The team was squeezed between the endzone and 12 yard line or so. The coaches moved the team through several warmup drills back and forth (goal line to about the 12) while continuously blowing whistles while the band played. All this started with about 4:48 on the clock. When the band cleared the field the Tech players lined up on the sidelines for more than 2 minutes waiting on the other team to come on the field. My daughter is an avid football fan (played in the band during the natty year) but she commented at the time how disrespectful and unnecessary this stunt was, especially since there was no urgency involved to get warmed up since it became hurry up and wait..