Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

looking forward to the coaching change - do love this school….
Well, would love to hear more about this. If real, this takes him to a new low for me, and that’s saying something.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So we have a real QB battle now.
This team needed the win, and we were supposed to win this. We did what needed to be done

Next week is big boy football, I hope we're competitive, just annoyed that it feels like with our talent we aren't anywhere close to Clemson's league in terms of being competitive

Being competitive with Clemson was never going to happen in 3 recruiting cycles. Our talent is young. Let's focus on being competitive with Pitt, UVA, Duke, BC, etc. first. I think we can.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well, would love to hear more about this. If real, this takes him to a new low for me, and that’s saying something.
What more are you hoping to hear? The team ran out while the band performed America the Beautiful, started their warmups, and coaches were blowing their whistles.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

I agree. Really bad taste in my mouth on this one - blowing the whistle and running drills during America the Beautiful on 9/11. Really?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just don’t get that part. I’m all for criticism of how the Collins regime has run operations but they played about as well as anyone could have expected today.
I guess so. Personally, I was underwhelmed by the O line play...
  • too much pressure on pass plays allowed (wait until the Clemson D line rushes us!)
  • run was often stuffed. Badly. Only ran for about 150 against an FCS team
I can't argue with the general feeling of ...is it euphoria or relief?...but I get that in most other ways, we played much, much better today.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
  • too much pressure on pass plays allowed (wait until the Clemson D line rushes us!)
I can't argue with the general feeling of ...is it euphoria or relief?...but I get that in most other ways, we played much, much better today.
If I told you before the game the defense wouldn’t allow a TD until the 4th and the offense put up 40+ everyone would say that’s as good as you could expect haha.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am also concerned about the offensive line play. Both Mason and Gibbs got hit at the line of scrimmage multiple times. And Yates was under a lot of pressure (which by the way, he handled very well). But at the end, we scored almost 50 points so a lot more went right than wrong. I think the defense struggle a little on the 3O in the first half but made enough negative plays to offset that. They were really terrific in the third and early fourth quarter. Realistically Kennesaw State was way outclassed in terms of talent. One other thing I did like was trying a screen play a couple of times. If we can't get Gibbs enough running room, getting him on the outside with screens (and hopefully swing passes) is another way to exploit his speed. The special teams were fine. Placekicker made his one FG attempt and all extra points, punter had a strong 2nd game and no kickoffs were returned. At the end, we took care of business, a lot of people got to play, we escaped injury and no targeting to lose people next week.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

I just saw this and I was going to post something about that boneheaded move. Blowing whistles in the end zone. That drill could have waited. Today is 9/11. Come on coach. And what happened to the American flag the team use to carry onto the field? Why?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In the absence of poor play by our team it’s not surprising, unfortunately, that people will work to find something else to get outraged about.
I wanted to like this but I can't. Even though it is 100% true and I agree with it so much. When did sports (and perhaps even life) quit becoming fun for so many people? You can't say it's the current coach because there has been a steady stream of bitching and moaning dating back through the CPJ and CCG eras as well. It's supposed to be a game. Was it the injection of money? Increased TV coverage? Social media? Post modernism malaise? Existential angst? Exponential rise in the cost of good beef brisket? I am increasingly perplexed why people who are so miserable follow the game and understand how these same people may turn off potential fans and customers.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Being competitive with Clemson was never going to happen in 3 recruiting cycles. Our talent is young. Let's focus on being competitive with Pitt, UVA, Duke, BC, etc. first. I think we can.
Hmmm well CPJ was always competitive against those schools. Isn’t that why we changed coaches? To be competitive against Clemson and Georgia?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm well CPJ was always competitive against those schools. Isn’t that why we changed coaches? To be competitive against Clemson and Georgia?

He was not the last couple years, nor was there any indication he would be again anytime soon. Do ya'll not get exhausted with this? Like it or not, we chose to rebuild from the bottom and we have to judge results accordingly.

Enjoy the W

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
I wanted to like this but I can't. Even though it is 100% true and I agree with it so much. When did sports (and perhaps even life) quit becoming fun for so many people? You can't say it's the current coach because there has been a steady stream of bitching and moaning dating back through the CPJ and CCG eras as well. It's supposed to be a game. Was it the injection of money? Increased TV coverage? Social media? Post modernism malaise? Existential angst? Exponential rise in the cost of good beef brisket? I am increasingly perplexed why people who are so miserable follow the game and understand how these same people may turn off potential fans and customers.
Quite the jump going from a couple of fans saying we found it distasteful to calling us/them (whoever you are referring to) miserable. I get it - we were there for football and the team needed to warm up. I was quite pleased with team play and with coaching today. 9/11 just seems like it should have some special awareness to it, to me anyway. Our own team did call for it to be heroes day, after all. I personally will acquiesce that I may be a bit sensitive because of the date and the theme of the game, but the jump to the “miserable” attack is a bit of a stretch.