Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Never seemed like a valid argument to me. He had coached that defense for the whole year and then they fall apart the first time he’s not on the sideline with them for a bowl game? I’ve never sensed that he was that important of a presence on the sideline during games.
Do you think our offense would’ve ran smoothly against an elite defense in 2014 if Paul Johnson left a couple weeks before the bowl game and someone else was designing the game plan and calling plays?

Pinning the 2014 game on Collins is pretty dumb IMO. That 2014 offense at the end of the year would’ve put up 35+ on probably any team but Bama anyways. They were clicking on all cylinders.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, Bill Curry took a 1-9-1 team and beat Alabama in the opener. Geoff had 9 months to prepare for THIS.

He can't coach. Last week may have been his high point.
Probably shouldn’t bring the Alabama game up for reference. They were playing 2nd and 3rd string players in the first half and thought so little of us that they could just switch the light on in the 4th. Probably the worst coaching job ever by Bryant.

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think our offense would’ve ran smoothly against an elite defense in 2014 if Paul Johnson left a couple weeks before the bowl game and someone else was designing the game plan and calling plays?

Pinning the 2014 game on Collins is pretty dumb IMO. That 2014 offense at the end of the year would’ve put up 35+ on probably any team but Bama anyways. They were clicking on all cylinders.
73-7

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The fact that Tech could have scored 35 points on almost anyone is precisely the point, as opposed to saying Collins would have made a difference.

I’m arguing against a narrative that started almost before the final buzzer sounded in the Orange Bowl that somehow Miss State would have won if Collins had been on the side line. That’s excuse making and total nonsense. Do I think Tech would have won if CPJ had not been on the side line? Absolutely as long as you had a competent OC. Remember, CPJ was the OC. Replace him with Bohannon or anyone else who knew the offense and yeah, no problem. The players and the system don’t change.

The people on the side line for Mississippi State knew that defensive system. It was not a mystery to them.

No, suggesting that Collins is the kind of defensive genius who’s mere presence on the sideline magically transforms a team is nonsense.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The fact that Tech could have scored 35 points on almost anyone is precisely the point, as opposed to saying Collins would have made a difference.

I’m arguing against a narrative that started almost before the final buzzer sounded in the Orange Bowl that somehow Miss State would have won if Collins had been on the side line. That’s excuse making and total nonsense. Do I think Tech would have won if CPJ had not been on the side line? Absolutely as long as you had a competent OC. Remember, CPJ was the OC. Replace him with Bohannon or anyone else who knew the offense and yeah, no problem. The players and the system don’t change.

The people on the side line for Mississippi State knew that defensive system. It was not a mystery to them.

No, suggesting that Collins is the kind of defensive genius who’s mere presence on the sideline magically transforms a team is nonsense.
CPJ had a great game plan for Miss State and his experienced offense executed it beautifully. Where I think Collins could have made a difference is with in game adjustments. Their interim DC seemed clueless as to how to stop the option plays and then we shifted to the dive play behind Mason. But, I think we were simply the better team.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There was NOBODY in college football going to stop GT’s 2014 offense at the end of the season, not even Bammer. That being said, we whipped Miss St in a fashion rarely seen. We we calling plays from our section before the snap and the Miss St fans were amazed we got about 80-90 correct as to the play and whether it was going right, left or center. We beat them like a bunch of little bitches. It was a bad defensive team. You don’t get that way overnight.

Scubapro

Banned
Sixty-one pages to discuss this coaching staff.
In my opinion two seasons of record beat downs and only six wins should be enough for anyone to conclude that this staff cannot prepare a team and game plan effectively.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
CPJ had a great game plan for Miss State and his experienced offense executed it beautifully. Where I think Collins could have made a difference is with in game adjustments. Their interim DC seemed clueless as to how to stop the option plays and then we shifted to the dive play behind Mason. But, I think we were simply the better team.
Collins. In game adjustments. I’m sorry but I can’t put those words in the same sentence. Honestly not trying to pile on Collins but talking about his in game adjustments would be a faith statement from what I’ve seen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sixty-one pages to discuss this coaching staff.
In my opinion two seasons of record beat downs and only six wins should be enough for anyone to conclude that this staff cannot prepare a team and game plan effectively.

^ for those just joining this thread, Scubapro has provided the Cliff Notes to the entire 61 pages for you. The previous pages said the same thing more or less, just using different words and combinations of same. Of course, if you have the time, feel free to start at post #1 and begin there. :)

I am looking forward to see how creative we can get saying the same things repeatedly after our next loss. God forbid it be today.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
How Coach Will Hall, Southern Mississippi, reacted to embarrassing performance:

“I hope our guys are excited. I’m not excited; my life’s on the line,” Hall said. He added, “I feel like every day I wake up that since I’ve gotten here, I’ve let a lot of people down, and we’ve got to overcome that. We’ve got to play better. Because right now, I’m probably the biggest fraud to come through this place in the last 50 years.”

Maybe a little too much histrionics, but a better response than CGC’s.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm really not trying to be funny. I don't think I've observed any situation since he's been our coach that he has made adjustments that benefited us during a game.
In fairness, he always walks off the field with dignity. And while I know this is not the way it is anymore, I have always thought his bolting MSU just before one of the biggest Orange Bowl games in years was cowardice: GT was a heartbeat way from the playoffs, andhe didn't want that certain pasting on his resume.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
4D5B8CB8-8783-4DE8-94ED-4D36EFCCA179.jpeg

Credit goes to Freddie burden. He posted it on twitter

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How Coach Will Hall, Southern Mississippi, reacted to embarrassing performance:

“I hope our guys are excited. I’m not excited; my life’s on the line,” Hall said. He added, “I feel like every day I wake up that since I’ve gotten here, I’ve let a lot of people down, and we’ve got to overcome that. We’ve got to play better. Because right now, I’m probably the biggest fraud to come through this place in the last 50 years.”

Maybe a little too much histrionics, but a better response than CGC’s.
It's not the same thing. Not the same thing at all. Coach Hall is not leading the biggest transformation in the history of earth. So, the bar is higher for him.

traderjoe118

Georgia Tech Fan
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

looking forward to the coaching change - do love this school….

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

The first Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

looking forward to the coaching change - do love this school….
Just going to tell ya nobody cares about the bolded part as for the rest of it I’m all for Collins getting blamed but GT has been anything but outplayed today lmao.