Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

slugboy

Staff member
Pay wall.
It’s “5 takeaways from GT’s loss to NIU”
  • Malachi Carter gives the quote we all would, that the loss is just a horrible feeling
  • Ken dug into the secondary, the poor communication there, the fact that there are a lot of upperclassmen, and that Collins made that a focus, with poor results in the game. He quotes Collins saying “they played well” or words to that effect
  • He dug into the kicking game, how we did well on kickoffs
  • He covered the mistakes, miscues, fumbles, and time outs.
  • He mentioned we gave up 4 sacks to a defense that averaged 1.8/game in MAC competition last year
  • Wrote nice things about Yates and Walker’s play
  • Brought up doubts about the coaching
It was a firm, clear, and jaundiced view of the game and our situation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s “5 takeaways from GT’s loss to NIU”
  • Malachi Carter gives the quote we all would, that the loss is just a horrible feeling
  • Ken dug into the secondary, the poor communication there, the fact that there are a lot of upperclassmen, and that Collins made that a focus, with poor results in the game. He quotes Collins saying “they played well” or words to that effect
  • He dug into the kicking game, how we did well on kickoffs
  • He covered the mistakes, miscues, fumbles, and time outs.
  • He mentioned we gave up 4 sacks to a defense that averaged 1.8/game in MAC competition last year
  • Wrote nice things about Yates and Walker’s play
  • Brought up doubts about the coaching
It was a firm, clear, and jaundiced view of the game and our situation.
Reading this, I pulled out the notes from one of Bear Bryant's coaches clinics. He described the game of football as "very simple" ... it's all movement and contact. Do it while avoiding mistakes. Looks like Geoff forgot the part about avoiding mistakes.

Bryant went to on describe the average game .... 71 plays run, lasting between 2 and 7 seconds. Any team can concentrate for 360 seconds of effort.

I know ... piling on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I did a little studying ( I was sober for a few hours)
Alabama beat Arkansas and Arkansas fired their coach
Alabama beat Tennessee and Tennessee fired their coach
Alabama best Auburn and Auburn fired their coach

So how do we get Alabama to play us ?

Interesting thought. Maybe we can scrub the paycheck games against lower level teams and try to get $EC teams to pay us to play them as their cupcakes. We lose either way but make enough money to buy out bad coaches....

(Tongue firmly in cheek, but, hey...)

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember how the press conference went when CPJ was asked about the failed two point conversion that lost the game? He explained how the play was set up, how the block was to occur and what the quarterback was supposed to do. The tackle and the quarterback got their wires crossed (perhaps because first game of the season) and the play went wider than it was supposed to. It was explained so clearly that you could go back and watch the tape and see exactly what went wrong and why the two points were there for the asking if one simple thing had happened correctly.

Lord I miss press conferences like that.

I don’t feel like Collins has any idea what went wrong so how could he possible explain it?

The rest of his stand up comedy is to attempt to hide that.

/

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
That high school offense that dropped 49 on Mississippi State during the Orange Bowl, when Collins was Miss St defensive coordinator!
This has in fact been proven false many times. Has Collins shown us a glimmer of hope that he will turn GT around to the point they are obliterating SEC teams? Absolutely not.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don’t feel like Collins has any idea what went wrong so how could he possible explain it?

The rest of his stand up comedy is to attempt to hide that.

/
Collins is extremely consistent. He says what recruits and their coaches and their mentors want to hear. Not what angry fans want to hear. I'm not suggesting that's the right or wrong approach but I think he knows, mostly, what's wrong. The part I'm not sure he knows is the clock management stuff. I'm honestly baffled by how we continue to screw that up. We're doing something wrong somewhere and I'm not sure our coaches know how to fix it. I am sure it is way more than just calling timeouts at what most of us think is the wrong time. The problems are what's leading to the need to call timeouts at times and the problems we have getting lined up. Those are the ones I'm not sure they know how to correct and that's a huge concern for me. What Collins says or doesn't say in his press conferences isn't even on my list of things that concern me. CPJ ruffling feathers of the press and the things he said at press conferences didn't bother me (I'm extremely snarky myself so I loved CPJs sense of humor) and neither does what CGC says at press conferences.
That high school offense that dropped 49 on Mississippi State during the Orange Bowl, when Collins was Miss St defensive coordinator!
Collins had already left and wasn't calling the defense in that game. Perhaps the results would have been the same but we'll never know. Also, Collins has a history of excellent defenses as a DC. We all know that being a great coordinator doesn't always translate to being a great head coach. Hopefully for all of us he turns out to be a great head coach.

I'm pretty upset about the NIU game. I have plenty of concerns. What CGC says in his efforts to relentlessly market GT football to recruits is not one of those concerns.

No Ave Trade School

Georgia Tech Fan
$3.3 million per year to average 3 wins, while Jamie Chadwell just got an increase from $350,000 to $800,000 after leading C Carolina to an 11-1 record and ranked #12 in the nation!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
At GT $3.3 million buys you a 3 win season max, while Jamie Chadwell just got a pay raise from $350,000 to $800,000 for leading C Carolina to an 11-1 season, ranked #12 in the nation!
That's one of the things that blows my mind still. We paid CGC, a rookie head coach and unknown quantity, more than we were paying one of the best football coaches out there with decades of experience and multiple national titles, and we had to hire an offensive coordinator on top of that?? And we gave him 7 years?? Collins wasn't even making $2 million at Temple, whoever negotiated the contract for Tech absolutely screwed the pooch.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's one of the things that blows my mind still. We paid CGC, a rookie head coach and unknown quantity, more than we were paying one of the best football coaches out there with decades of experience and multiple national titles, and we had to hire an offensive coordinator on top of that?? And we gave him 7 years?? Collins wasn't even making $2 million at Temple, whoever negotiated the contract for Tech absolutely screwed the pooch.
Agreed.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Sad to hear ADTS say that he thinks we are still ahead of schedule with the transition. If 6 wins is ahead of schedule, what does behind schedule look like? 2 wins.
I hate this type of talk. Sure it was a big transition, but I (and any non-delusional fans) expect us to be able to beat lower division teams even while mid transition and struggle against the teams on our level. The fact that we are still struggling against lower division teams in year 3 is a terrible sign. At no point in this transition did we have a lower talent level than NIU, and to use the "we knew it was going to be a hard transition" excuse is entirely BS.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
We paid CGC, a rookie head coach and unknown quantity, more than we were paying one of the best football coaches out there with decades of experience and multiple national titles, and we had to hire an offensive coordinator on top of that?? And we gave him 7 years?? Collins wasn't even making $2 million at Temple, whoever negotiated the contract for Tech absolutely screwed the pooch.
Yeah except that's not true
Collins will earn less than his collective staff will; his contract begins with an even $3 million salary for 2019, a slight decrease from the $3.06 million Johnson earned in his 11th season on the job.
And yes Collins was making over $2M at Temple

There's plenty to ***** and moan about but at least try to do it accurately