Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Have anybody notice that nothing been twitted since Friday from the coaches. It been nice to here the noice from them I sure hope they been spending this time to figure out to how two get this team to play with fire and energy.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Collins has spent more time on things like the Juice crew, Waffle House food truck for the players, flying his players on a non-commercial jet to ACC media day, making sure his players feelings aren’t hurt, etc. than coaching a Division 1 team. All this feel good and everything is perfect creates a soft team.

FolkHall

Georgia Tech Fan
Collins has spent more time on things like the Juice crew, Waffle House food truck for the players, flying his players on a non-commercial jet to ACC media day, making sure his players feelings aren’t hurt, etc. than coaching a Division 1 team. All this feel good and everything is perfect creates a soft team.
Don't forget the money downs...

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Unless the big money donors are ready to pony up in a big way, Collins is here for 2 more years. At a school that harps on innovation, we certainly lack that on the field. Watching Lane Kiffin's offense is a thing of beauty. There certainly have to be young, innovative minds ready to take the next step. Thacker and Patenude seem like likeable guys, but they certainly aren't getting it done. A lot of this falls on our head coach who seems to be learning on the fly. If Collins is as close to O'Leary as he describes, it would be worth a shot to ask for help.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Who’s ready to see how Thackers “triple option Tuesday” practices are going to pay off this weekend??
1631022218146.png

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
For 2 seasons we have been told that we are in the biggest Transition in the history of football. When we watched games, we saw players looking lost out on the field or out of position. We watched strange choices in play calling and game management. It was all the Transition.

After Saturday, the smoke has cleared a bit. It is apparent that most of the issues we were seeing for the last two seasons were bad coaching, not the Transition. We have the wrong coaches in place, not the wrong players.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In business, whenever we opened a factory in a developing country, we never started with our most advanced products. We would start manufacturing our most basic products to give the new employees time to learn our management style, get familiar with expectations, and earn the right for more advanced production techniques.

I recall one coach who was basically a turnaround coach. Run as few plays as possible, emphasize only the high percentage plays, and give them time to "learn to win". Focus on skill development first. Sounds similar.

I get the impression Geoff enjoys every part of his job except actually coaching. Start talking about Waffle House, NIL, social media, Mercedes Benz, new swag ... and his eyes light up. Watching him answer actual coaching questions, and he gets very testy ... fast.

If he truly sucks, TStan needs to force him to make personnel changes. I am really concerned that we are going to lose to Kennesaw State and Geoff is going to be screaming, "Broken Arrow".

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
how do you know that? i really, really doubt it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I recall one coach who was basically a turnaround coach. Run as few plays as possible, emphasize only the high percentage plays, and give them time to "learn to win". Focus on skill development first. Sounds similar.

I get the impression Geoff enjoys every part of his job except actually coaching. Start talking about Waffle House, NIL, social media, Mercedes Benz, new swag ... and his eyes light up. Watching him answer actual coaching questions, and he gets very testy ... fast.

I have had similar thoughts as this. My background was in manufacturing and operations and a trick to success when one has multiple obligations and priorities is being able to focus on the critical and ignore (or delegate or do as little as you can get by with) the other stuff. I have seen guys who loved the meetings, the shiny new corporative initiative of the month, visiting and hosting customers and vendors, employee events, representing the company at various fundraisers and charity things, etc. But they didn't like the actual dirty work of making the product better and cheaper than the competitors. A mentor once told me as I was coming up that "the main thing to succeed is to make the main thing the main thing." In other words, you cannot lose focus as to why you are actually in business. That was his forte and I did my best to emulate him. The greatest manager/leader I ever worked for. He never lost focus or intensity regarding the details.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
In business, whenever we opened a factory in a developing country, we never started with our most advanced products. We would start manufacturing our most basic products to give the new employees time to learn our management style, get familiar with expectations, and earn the right for more advanced production techniques.

If he truly sucks, TStan needs to force him to make personnel changes. I am really concerned that we are going to lose to Kennesaw State and Geoff is going to be screaming, "Broken Arrow".
How about we bet CGC that if we lose to KSU, he has to switch positions with Bohannon. Talk about lighting a fire under someone's behind.

TheNaturalScientist

Jolly Good Fellow
Have anybody notice that nothing been twitted since Friday from the coaches. It been nice to here the noice from them I sure hope they been spending this time to figure out to how two get this team to play with fire and energy.
I was going to say the exact same thing. The football account posted something late last night but it has been mostly mum which is good imo

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without fundamentals and basics, the rest of it doesn't even matter. I know we have a lot of fanboys who think we can recruit our way to success, but although we can strive to recruit better, that is not or never will be how we get there, assuming we get there again. It will be player development, gameplan, in-game coaching, accountability, etc. GT will always need intangibles to go with the tangibles.

I will continue to be amazed at the number of GT fans/alums that allowed UGAGers or others to actually make them feel "bad" based on the previous offensive scheme we ran. Based on things I have heard, this was a major reason many wanted to see it go.

Now, with that said, it is gone, and I strongly believe we must find that special coach that can bring a modicum of success to the flats.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Name the acc teams who are worse
It’s not an argument of who is worse. The ACC as a whole is garbage. We are definitely between the bottom and middle of that garbage. We’ll win some games because, like we saw last year, there will be 3-5 Saturdays where we play ok and the other team will suck. We will be on the suck side more often but we’ll win some games even with the lousy coaching. I can’t predict which days garbage teams will play like garbage or play like average so I can’t predict which games will be which. I’ve just seen enough football in my 52 years to know a lot of teams are in the same boat as us so we’ll get some W’s here and there.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Football is playing through adversity. Hitting the other guy harder than he hits you. Knowing the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. Playing as a team, eliminating individual mistakes, and having that mean streak, get after your butt mentality. We are lacking in some of these.