Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Full disclosure; I loved Paul as GT coach. His TO gave us an identity that everyone in CFB recognized. Running the ball shortens games and empirically protects defensive liabilities... No way Clemson hangs 73 on us last year if they only get 10 possessions (..and 73-0 is worst loss in Tech history..the equivalent in the 2000's of 222-0 in 1919)
But...Paul had exhausted his goodwill among Tech fans and a change was demanded...
So...we hired Geoff... which I thought, like many (most) of you was a good fit,,, Maybe it still works out...I hope so much that it does...
I did not want Whisenhunt (although he is/was one of GT's great players)...
But...IBB, in fairness, would Ken W teams have won more or less than three games, in two seasons plus Northern Illinois?
Tbh I think anyone wins more than 3 at this point

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Aide: "Coach Collins? It's time for our post game report."
Collins: "OK. I want to have a prop. Let me use this ball during the presser."
Aide: "That's fine sir. But, um ... that's a basketball. Don't you think a football would be more appropriate?"
Collins: "Which one is that?"
Aide: "It's the oblong one. The one that says "Rawlings" on the side"
Collins" 'Oh, yeah. Gotcha. Anything else I should know?"
Aide: "No, that's enough."

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I love when someone posts something like this:

Then proceeds to post stuff like this immediately after:

Maybe you should take your own advice dude. Just saying
Just counter acting all the immature nonsense here. But you win I’ll step out of this thread. This is the most miserable *** fan base on earth. Enjoy the season

slugboy

Staff member
Full disclosure; I loved Paul as GT coach. His TO gave us an identity that everyone in CFB recognized. Running the ball shortens games and empirically protects defensive liabilities... No way Clemson hangs 73 on us last year if they only get 10 possessions (..and 73-0 is worst loss in Tech history..the equivalent in the 2000's of 222-0 in 1919)
But...Paul had exhausted his goodwill among Tech fans and a change was demanded...
So...we hired Geoff... which I thought, like many (most) of you was a good fit,,, Maybe it still works out...I hope so much that it does...
I did not want Whisenhunt (although he is/was one of GT's great players)...
But...IBB, in fairness, would Ken W teams have won more or less than three games, in two seasons plus Northern Illinois?
Whisenhunt would probably have been “more” conventional on offense. I suspect he’d have pulled in someone to coach a 3-4 defense like others he’s seen, but that’s total speculation. I think he’d have done better last season, but I’d wonder how high his ceiling would be.

Jolly Good Fellow
Whisenhunt would probably have been “more” conventional on offense. I suspect he’d have pulled in someone to coach a 3-4 defense like others he’s seen, but that’s total speculation. I think he’d have done better last season, but I’d wonder how high his ceiling would be.
Slugger, I'm not worried at the moment about GT ceiling...I am worried about the floor.....

slugboy

Staff member
Slugger, I'm not worried at the moment about GT ceiling...I am worried about the floor.....
Me too, right now, but at the time we were all looking for upside.

I wanted Louisville’s coach, and they’re one of the teams we thrashed.

We have Collins, and he’s a known quantity, and all the alternatives look good in comparison. We’re probably both overrating the other coaches we were evaluating and our odds of landing them.

If we’d hired on of the other coaches and gotten 3-4 wins a year the first two years, there would be a lot of noise hear asking why we didn’t hire Collins (who would probably be doing well at Temple right now). I doubt the other coaches would have lost to the Citadel AND NIU, though; so, yeah, I think this is a pretty low point right now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And CGC is not a Ross, & this is not 1990.

The one thing CGC has working in his favor is the transfer portal has made it easier for him. Guys like Ace Eley, Ryan Johnson, Devin Cochrane, Kenneth Kirby, Kyric McGowan, Tyler Davis are/were all eligible immediately. Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, and CPJ didn't really have that luxury. They had to recruit and develop their guys.

As I keep saying, this is a roster that can compete for the Coastal and win at least 6 games. CGC has a very real history of sh!tting the bed against lower level teams early and finishing strong. We could still end up with 6+ wins...but CGC needs to get it together and show marked improvement between now and the end of the KSU game. This isn't Temple...we're a P5 program and the media is unforgiving if you talk the talk and don't walk the walk. To this point, CGC has done a lot of talking but hasn't backed it up.

I'm coming off my initial rage from losing to a pitiful NIU team, and unbelievably, rewatching the game has calmed me down some because I can see where there's potential for us. We have some really good players on both sides of the ball...even potential stars. However, potential is just that until we actually execute and do what we're capable of.

I'm going to back off the ledge for now...come KSU, if we continue to play to the level of our opponents, I'm walking up to that ledge and kicking any love I have left for CGC over it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
7 wins most years and a bowl and a shot at an acc title every 4

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
The one thing CGC has working in his favor is the transfer portal has made it easier for him. Guys like Ace Eley, Ryan Johnson, Devin Cochrane, Kenneth Kirby, Kyric McGowan, Tyler Davis are/were all eligible immediately. Ross, O'Leary, Gailey, and CPJ didn't really have that luxury. They had to recruit and develop their guys.

As I keep saying, this is a roster that can compete for the Coastal and win at least 6 games. CGC has a very real history of sh!tting the bed against lower level teams early and finishing strong. We could still end up with 6+ wins...but CGC needs to get it together and show marked improvement between now and the end of the KSU game. This isn't Temple...we're a P5 program and the media is unforgiving if you talk the talk and don't walk the walk. To this point, CGC has done a lot of talking but hasn't backed it up.

I'm coming off my initial rage from losing to a pitiful NIU team, and unbelievably, rewatching the game has calmed me down some because I can see where there's potential for us. We have some really good players on both sides of the ball...even potential stars. However, potential is just that until we actually execute and do what we're capable of.

I'm going to back off the ledge for now...come KSU, if we continue to play to the level of our opponents, I'm walking up to that ledge and kicking any love I have left for CGC over it.
Agree with this after rewatching the game. The potential is there but we got outcoached flat out. We left at least 10 points and probably more like 21+ on the field. The dline and some secondary play concerns me but if we can look like an actual P5 team from an execution level we can make a bowl this year. However , the fact that these coaches can’t figure it out in 2+ years is concerning. Can’t we hire at least 1 or 2 people to teach them how to coach on game day?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this after rewatching the game. The potential is there but we got outcoached flat out. We left at least 10 points and probably more like 21+ on the field. The dline and some secondary play concerns me but if we can look like an actual P5 team from an execution level we can make a bowl this year. However , the fact that these coaches can’t figure it out in 2+ years is concerning. Can’t we hire at least 1 or 2 people to teach them how to coach on game day?
A coach to coach the coaches...

Indeed we have the talent on the field. The sideline is where we're lacking.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
i dont understand the bolded part. i mean if we did that, why not just have them be the HC/OC/DC. cut out the middle man.

thats just hiring new coaches with extra steps

ballground burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
I almost destroyed the TV when he pulled the field goal team off at the 2.........and wasted a timeout to do it??

Who cares if there was booing at the time? We had the backup QB and uncertain performance of the O-line, take the points and keep the momentum.

I need to hear Coach own this decision and address it publicly or I'm done, and I lived through the Bill Lewis era and thought that was our low point.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
i dont understand the bolded part. i mean if we did that, why not just have them be the HC/OC/DC. cut out the middle man.

thats just hiring new coaches with extra steps
it’s mostly tongue in cheek. You’d think there is a former coach who could mentor CGC or someone in this stuff though

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s all coaching. A good coach doesn’t allow a punt returner to decide anything. A good coach tells a punt returner who is clearly making stupid decisions to just fair catch it. A good coach doesn’t waste 2 timeouts on a drive in the 3rd quarter. A good coach doesn’t have 14 players on the field when the other team lines up to run a play. A good coach doesn’t have his entire defense looking at the sideline when the other team is about to snap the ball. A good coach doesn’t have his players running out of bounds when we are trying to run clock. A good coach doesn’t have his players stay in bounds when we need clock. We are clueless and Choice and Key need to give out code red to the other coaches. Patenaude and Thacker are dead men walking.

The only noticeable improvement was the very first play of the game. We kicked the ball thru the end zone instead of giving up a return to the 35 like we did all last year. That‘s it. Sims was worse. The running game was worse. The passing game was non-existent minus a few. During the telecast I did not hear the name of one of our defensive linemen for 3 hours. Gibbs was having to juke just to get back to the line of scrimmage. We will win about 4 games because as bad as we are there are several ACC teams worse.
Name the acc teams who are worse

Jmonty71

Banned
I almost destroyed the TV when he pulled the field goal team off at the 2.........and wasted a timeout to do it??

Who cares if there was booing at the time? We had the backup QB and uncertain performance of the O-line, take the points and keep the momentum.

I need to hear Coach own this decision and address it publicly or I'm done, and I lived through the Bill Lewis era and thought that was our low point.
The booing was from the poor plays, that led to having to try a FG. I would of taking the points... Again, if our kickers can't kick a 25 yard FG, then we have other issues