Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Re: the 2021 class, one or two posters here did an analysis to show that we took materially more transfers than those above and around us in recruiting in 2021. I don't have the time to dig it up, but the takeaway is the difference for us was material that year. Hard for me to quantify from the memory bank though.

I'm not sure if Collins is the best recruiter we can get, and so I'm not sure what our ceiling is. I don't expect us to blast into the top 15 as a regular or even frequent visitor, if at all. Context matters too i.e., it would certainly be easier to sell a winning program that he is directing.

Let's say top 30 is near the ceiling. Where are you going with that? Regardless of scheme, to me that translates to top 5 ACC most years or thereabouts, and enough to minimally win the Coastal 1 out of every 5-6 years like the prior two regimes (not accounting for our 6-6 year where two teams ahead of us were disqualified and was basically our average GT season result). We'll still have highs and lows off that.
Which is why I said "over time". In any given year things can push up or down some, but in other years, the teams around you may have had more transfers, thus artificially inflating your recruiting numbers. For the time being, it's a small sample size, 2 classes. But the 48 is just as real to me as the 27 (and I get that you don't agree, and that's fine).

So, the ceiling, and where I'm going with it: What I'm establishing is the whole "scarcity of skills" thing. That is, if Collins really is an ELITE (no irony) recruiter, and if he was at UVA he'd be pulling in top 20 classes, and if he was at Clemson he'd be pulling in top 3 classes.

It's SUPER DUPER rare to get a guy who is an ELITE recruiter AND an elite x's and o's guys, and those guys don't stay at GT. They end up at Bama, or Oklahoma, or Texas, or USC or Ohio State. So, if Collins really IS the best you can hope for that'll stay at GT, which is an Elite recruiter, and a "meh" everything else, and what it's getting you is a team that doesn't look like it can find its *** with both hands, then perhaps that's not the right model for GT.

Maybe "average in the grand scheme of things recruiting combined with below average coaching" is not going to give you guys the results you want.

Maybe the cards are so stacked against recruiting at GT that it's not a viable path as the trait to go all-in on, and your best bet was your last bet, because if you cap out at "average" due to structural issues, if you do anything other achieve at the very highest level possible, you're in trouble.

Side note: I think you're going to win easily this coming weekend, but Bohannan probably thinks he's on the wrong sideline, and if he gets a chance to run it up, my bet is he will.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
If you’re a decent team, you have to score in the red zone and keep the other team from scoring on their last drive.
My biggest coaching issue in the game was the weak *** prevent on that last drive. Send some blitzes early and go make a play. Worse thing that happens is they score and we get the ball back with time. And if they score quickly they don’t go for two either, in my opinion.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
So you're basing your opinion on one game against one of the best defenses in the country and ignoring the rest of his record?
Just sayin'...
How many games has he coached without an all world QB? And I think DJ and Clemson will be just fine just saying they looked like hot garbage with two of the greatest players in ACC history back there

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How many games has he coached without an all world QB? And I think DJ and Clemson will be just fine just saying they looked like hot garbage with two of the greatest players in ACC history back there
Oh, I get it. If his offense does well, it's the players, and if it does poorly, it's him. I think I understand...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... although I think Curry and Ross had less to work with...

Georgia Tech coaching records through first 23 games:

Collins: 6-17
Johnson: 18-5
Gailey: 13-10
O'Leary: 11-12
Lewis: 10-13
Ross: 5-18
Curry: 2-20-1
Rodgers: 13-10
Dodd: 15-8

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Inside the 15 going for a score I do not like to see mass substitutions or hurry ups. This is not the place for a mistake. Keep things simple . Coach should think one play ahead when play calling and not complicate anything unnecessarily. Avoid slow developing plays and plays to lose big yardage, especially on early downs. From inside the 5 I would run Mason quick and straight ahead until the last down. Its a no brainer and not the place to be cute .
Actual colloquy between Bobby Dodd and Bill Curry during Curry's first season:

Dodd: "Son, what did I tell you about plays inside the 5 yard line?"

Curry: "You said to always run the ball."

Dodd: "And when you got down to the 4 yard line yesterday on 3rd down, what did you do?"

Curry: "I called a pass."

Dodd: "And what happened?"

Curry: "It was incomplete."

Dodd: "So, I guess I was right, wasn't I?"

Curry (with a sigh): "Yes, coach."

It's a great rule and should be followed in almost every circumstance.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I love when someone posts something like this:

We beat FSU last year. Stop making overreactive judgments off one game.

Then proceeds to post stuff like this immediately after:

The guy that scored 3 on Saturday now that he doesn’t have Lawrence and Etienne? Just saying

Maybe you should take your own advice dude. Just saying

slugboy

Staff member
We should just keep Geoff for a figurehead HC and recruiter, and hire some competent coordinators for the x's and o's. Geoff is a good recruiter, but that's all.
It’s not just the x’s and o’s. At least on the offensive side, Key is going to know blocking schemes, and Patenaude has receivers coming wide open. Our playbooks are OK. They’re probably not amazing, but they’re good enough to win with. I’m sure the diagrams with the x’s and o’s are looking great. It’s the execution that’s killing us.
It’s still stuff like lining up on time, getting your play calls in, communicating assignments with the rest of the line, hitting the right hole, and fundamental stuff. It’s stuff like slipping and falling down in coverage or on your route. It’s (not) getting a jam on the line in pass coverage or (not) disrupting routes. It’s taking the right angle on a tackle, or running to the right hole to make a tackle.
At one point, I saw Cochran with two players to block and he tried to split the difference (neither got blocked). That’s not just on Cochran—you gotta have a way to shift blocking assignments and maybe have the back pick up the outside rusher. We have 5th year seniors on the OL; defenders shooting the gap between guard and tackle shouldn’t happen like it did.

On a different topic, I’d like to have some plays with a fullback or an H-back. For a team where you hear “#BpBuSp” (big people beat up small people), Saturday was a clear “we were bigger and stronger” opportunity.

Frustrated Head GIF

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Inside the 15 going for a score I do not like to see mass substitutions or hurry ups. This is not the place for a mistake. Keep things simple . Coach should think one play ahead when play calling and not complicate anything unnecessarily. Avoid slow developing plays and plays to lose big yardage, especially on early downs. From inside the 5 I would run Mason quick and straight ahead until the last down. Its a no brainer and not the place to be cute .
100%.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
Six wins, all against teams with loosing records. Losses to Citadel, Syracuse, and Northern Illinois. There is no way to feel good about the program at this point. Coach keeps saying we are improving. We need to be able to measure improvement with wins.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s not just the x’s and o’s. At least on the offensive side, Key is going to know blocking schemes, and Patenaude has receivers coming wide open. Our playbooks are OK. They’re probably not amazing, but they’re good enough to win with. I’m sure the diagrams with the x’s and o’s are looking great. It’s the execution that’s killing us.
It’s still stuff like lining up on time, getting your play calls in, communicating assignments with the rest of the line, hitting the right hole, and fundamental stuff. It’s stuff like slipping and falling down in coverage or on your route. It’s (not) getting a jam on the line in pass coverage or (not) disrupting routes. It’s taking the right angle on a tackle, or running to the right hole to make a tackle.
At one point, I saw Cochran with two players to block and he tried to split the difference (neither got blocked). That’s not just on Cochran—you gotta have a way to shift blocking assignments and maybe have the back pick up the outside rusher. We have 5th year seniors on the OL; defenders shooting the gap between guard and tackle shouldn’t happen like it did.

On a different topic, I’d like to have some plays with a fullback or an H-back. For a team where you hear “#BpBuSp” (big people beat up small people), Saturday was a clear “we were bigger and stronger” opportunity.

Frustrated Head GIF

I agree entirely that we lost because of inability to execute decently designed plays.

But lack of execution / preparation comes back to coaching (not that you were saying anything different). We just didn't make the plays we needed to and killed ourselves; not with penalties this time but blown opportunities and epically dismal FG kicking.

I don't really question the 4th and 3 call to go for a TD. It was a toss up as to whether to take the FG (probably as it was EP distance) or go for the TD. If you miss it, just hold the other team and get the ball back at the 50 or so.

While I haven't (and won't) read all 47 pages of this, one thing that really pissed me off was the video shot of Collins laughing when talking to the ref after calling the first of the two TOs. This was the one to prevent delay of game I think. Nothing funny about being incompetent.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
All We’re going to hear said is it’s us against the world… Bringing the family together… Closing the wagons… we’ve been abandoned… The haters…
after some reflection, this may be our best bet moving forward this season. Win one for coach best friend, since all the fans are mean to him. Us against the world.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
One other good thing about last night is that the football team was directly behind the Ramblin Reck instead of a long single file line of cheerleaders between the car and the players. Not much, but it is something.
Really? That’s your issue?

Jolly Good Fellow
Please don’t say Whisenhunt
Full disclosure; I loved Paul as GT coach. His TO gave us an identity that everyone in CFB recognized. Running the ball shortens games and empirically protects defensive liabilities... No way Clemson hangs 73 on us last year if they only get 10 possessions (..and 73-0 is worst loss in Tech history..the equivalent in the 2000's of 222-0 in 1919)
But...Paul had exhausted his goodwill among Tech fans and a change was demanded...
So...we hired Geoff... which I thought, like many (most) of you was a good fit,,, Maybe it still works out...I hope so much that it does...
I did not want Whisenhunt (although he is/was one of GT's great players)...
But...IBB, in fairness, would Ken W teams have won more or less than three games, in two seasons plus Northern Illinois?