Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But the absolute worst thing I saw, and to me, fair or not, main failure which led to losing the game was when he abdicated his decision making power to the crowd. We had a chip shot FG in our pocket, and he sent us out to get it, then let the crowds booing change his mind. Those 3 points would have been the game. It is absolutely inexcusable for a P5 head coach to let a crowd determine his coaching strategy. A lot of people have defended him these last couple of years, and I have been one of them. I can in no way defend this.
I haven't watched the broadcast. In the stands last night, I wasn't happy about kicking the field goal. (Just in my head, I wasn't booing.) Has anyone provided any other explanation than changing the play because of crowd displeasure? Like I said, I wasn't happy about sending the field goal unit out, but I was equally unhappy about using two timeouts by midway through the 3rd quarter. I would much rather have a coach who knows what he is doing, and at the press conference after winning the game says that he did what he knew was right and that fans get excited sometimes but they don't always have the answers.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
I haven't watched the broadcast. In the stands last night, I wasn't happy about kicking the field goal. (Just in my head, I wasn't booing.) Has anyone provided any other explanation than changing the play because of crowd displeasure? Like I said, I wasn't happy about sending the field goal unit out, but I was equally unhappy about using two timeouts by midway through the 3rd quarter. I would much rather have a coach who knows what he is doing, and at the press conference after winning the game says that he did what he knew was right and that fans get excited sometimes but they don't always have the answers.
Although I favored going for it on fourth down instead of taking the points, once it was determined to take the points with a field goal attempt it was utter stupidity to waste a timeout to reverse course. Once you’ve decided to kick, then you kick, unless it is at the end of either half when losing a timeout doesn’t much matter. I’d like to know his reasoning as well.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think Roof was forced on CPJ?
We had an open DC spot, Roof was at Penn State, and he came back to his alma mater hoping for a warm reception. He is statistically one of our better DCs of the CPJ era, but I think he catches the most grief.
If there was a defensive trend under CPJ, it’s DCs using the existing assistants, and bringing few to no assistants with them.
CPJ expressed frustration with Roof, but he only had one DC that he seemed happy with, and that’s half a season of Charles Kelly (who is at Alabama as Asst DC right now).
From people in the program.

Ted had a good year because the turn overs just kept coming that year. I just wish we could have gotten Nate Woody then instead of Ted, but hindsight is 20/20.

But it is what it is. Tech doesn't have an unlimited budget, and was worse at the time if I recall correctly.

slugboy

Staff member
My guess is that GT was his one and only shot at coaching at a P-5 school, but that's just a guess.
CPJ got a higher offer from us, but at least two other schools were bidding against us.
Auburn almost hired him away.
Auburn denies this, but they seem to have been testing out the idea. My really amateur guess is that the AD thought it was a great idea, and a few of the money people who dominate Auburn were against it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Preparedness comes from the pregame and weekly mindset leading up to the game.

And the reason we are not prepared is CGC is boosting players morale not tearing them apart and ripping them. Love is not the answer here anymore and being a softie and caring about players needs to take a back seat to hardline discipline, no swag, and hard nasty work if CGC wants to keep his job and career.
True love to our children includes discipline and bring fair and firm. So true love is part of the answer. The quit being a softie is the big issue.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I’ve seen posts here from people at the game that may watch the broadcast, don’t. You’re welcome. It’s no better on tv.
Also a lot of Butch Jones talk, y’all remember he beat the lord of the triple option right?
Thanks for the heads up. I am st6 considering watching on Tuesday and not earlier, because I didn't want to spoil today or Monday...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
CPJ got a higher offer from us, but at least two other schools were bidding against us.

Auburn denies this, but they seem to have been testing out the idea. My really amateur guess is that the AD thought it was a great idea, and a few of the money people who dominate Auburn were against it.

Duke was one of the schools for sure.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Hi guys, I am new here. I’ve been away from Atlanta for the past 15 years but moved back earlier this year. Yesterday’s abomination was our first game with season tickets but enough of my pity party.

Regarding the subject of this thread, I don’t think Tech fires him yet, although dropping to 0-2 next week would put a lot of pressure to do so.

Have there ever been performance clauses in coaching contracts? CCG was there when I was in school and although we were consistently good, we weren’t great nor could we defeat the dwags so I understood when we let him go. But for CGC, the only consistency is that each year has been more embarrassing and worse than the previous year. Why can’t there be a minimum performance bar in these contracts where they can get terminated for gross negligence?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Hi guys, I am new here. I’ve been away from Atlanta for the past 15 years but moved back earlier this year. Yesterday’s abomination was our first game with season tickets but enough of my pity party.

Regarding the subject of this thread, I don’t think Tech fires him yet, although dropping to 0-2 next week would put a lot of pressure to do so.

Have there ever been performance clauses in coaching contracts? CCG was there when I was in school and although we were consistently good, we weren’t great nor could we defeat the dwags so I understood when we let him go. But for CGC, the only consistency is that each year has been more embarrassing and worse than the previous year. Why can’t there be a minimum performance bar in these contracts where they can get terminated for gross negligence?
The only performance things in his contract is bonuses for reaching certain accolades, I’m shocked nobody has started doing a minimum performance bar type thing.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
When he said this team has made strides and strides I asked my wife did he just really say that? People got mad at CPJ when he would say this is on me or the coaches just didn't do enough. I just don't know what to say anymore.
Yeah and he said “you can see the improvements” he didn’t sound sincere and kind of felt like he said to put on the image like everything is A OK.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
When we lose next week and I’m pretty sure we will Bc we won’t being two stop there running game do you think Collins would resign and if he did that would that mean we wouldn’t half to pay out the remainder of his contract?
CGC has over 23 million reason$ not to resign without payment.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
My 2 cents after the almost 24 hour rule. I realize many will laugh me off as I'm a vocal supporter of what Collins is selling.

Collins oversees the program and is ultimately responsible for what happens on and off the field. He's not going anywhere for at least 15 months, IMO, because of the contract. It would be better to fix the issues around him and for whatever issues we have on the field, that dude has gotten our foot in the door (and ink on the papers) of a lot of talent that wouldn't even consider us before he was hired.

We need a better OC and QB coach. Patenaude needs to go and we don't need another rah rah recruiter on staff. We need an offensive expert to take over that side of the ball.

Collins does need game management advice. That should be Key as the assistant head coach whatever that title means. They seem to be big on analytics so put an analytics guy in the press box and on the head sets. Know when to take calculated risks and know when to settle for the FG and crap like that.

I don't care about ATL charts or depth charts or any of that but if we're going to play 30 guys on defense then figure out a better substitution pattern.

CPJ and the triple option isn't walking back through that door. Move on. That's not about CPJ vs CGC like every thread seems to want to do. It's just a fact CGC could resign tonight and we aren't hiring and going back to the triple option.

Just remember recruits and their family read these forums. Consider that when lashing out. We all love GT at the end of the day.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

CPJ himself confirmed that Auburn extended him an offer. He turned it down.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looks like its techs turn for the next butch jones or will muschamp. Iiwii but ultimately stansbury the canadian dude needs to go when collins does. He is as stupid as anyone i have seen lately