Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

davesbrain

Georgia Tech Fan
I now know how the river city folks felt, it's year 3 and it's apparent that professor hill's musical instruments are not going to arrive...

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
On a side note, it is worth noting that Gibbs looked below average. Even when he started running he looked half the speed as last year. Maybe they bottled him up. But it was concerning that our best player didn’t even make it interesting
It was weird watching last night because I thought the same thing. He had 1 or 2 nice runs, but he got tripped up and solo tackled a lot last night. Where that was not happening last year. Mason ran hard and was having some success, would have liked to see Dante more when Gibbs was getting tripped up so much.

I know there wasn’t a lot of room at times as our OL run blocking was highly inconsistent last night. We would create a hole on one play and then not the next 3. I was extremely disappointed watching Cochran, I thought he would be a beast. I’m not sure how he was projected as a top round pick, he did not play well when i watched him.

Scubapro

Banned
Mason and Smith were more effective (and we barely saw Smith). Gibbs looked mediocre.
Thats what happens when you have a crummy offensive game plan....but you know...good players more than make up for poor coaching. At least that was the narrative around here for the past two years.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were starting football season, but I see it's just the circus in town again.

If we are winless after we play Duke, Collins should be fired on the spot - like via his headset before he takes it off to go the locker room. Talent will hit the transfer portal or commit elsewhere regardless, retaining Collins to try and keep those guys around/committed is a waste of resources and will only allow the program to sink deeper.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
On a side note, it is worth noting that Gibbs looked below average. Even when he started running he looked half the speed as last year. Maybe they bottled him up. But it was concerning that our best player didn’t even make it interesting
I agree he didn’t seem to have that extra burst or half step that would have let him break one or two. Gibbs was still very effective running at the start of the game but mason seemed to be more effective later. Still having two guys rush for 195 yds and average 5.5 yds per carry should have produced better results.

Id rather us rest Gibbs and not use him on kickoffs. He doesn’t need to take those extra 5 hits a game over the course of the season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were starting football season, but I see it's just the circus in town again.

If we are winless after we play Duke, Collins should be fired on the spot - like via his headset before he takes it off to go the locker room. Talent will hit the transfer portal or commit elsewhere regardless, retaining Collins to try and keep those guys around/committed is a waste of resources and will only allow the program to sink deeper.
Fire him now and we probably lose a lot of his recruits. Don’t get me wrong, the way the program is headed we probably lose them anyway. It’s a pickle.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
To jgtengineer:

If you'll look at the under performers who came with him from Navy you'll find that your statement isn't accurate. Recruiting was the last staff's major issue. At Navy the entire student body is eligible to be scholarship athletes. Recruiting at Navy is different than at a P5 school in the SE. Coach McCollum was a good recruiter, but he didn't come from Navy. The guys who did were not good recruiters in the P5 conference environment. The last staff needed at least 3 or 4 McCollums, but there was too much loyalty to the former Navy coaches. Gailey refused to hire a good OC. We'll see what happens with the current group. Can Collins be as good of a GM with the coaches as he is with the kids?

But I agree that we have to get off some money. Clemson had 2 offensive coaches making 7 figures until one left for a HC job. Alabama hires former NFL head coaches as assistants.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Collins is deep in the Bill Lewis/Bill Curry territory. Tech fans like coaches who take responsibility for ugly losses and sloppy play, see Cremins and Pastner. Collins has a lot he still needs to learn about game day coaching and being a head coach. Needs to cut out the slogans and get on some people hard this week. A poor performance next week could be devastating for him and the program.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs is fine, better than fine. The offense is less than vanilla. This is the worse offensive scheme I’ve ever seen. The defense knows what is coming every play. The running plays and blocking schemes are generic for high school. The WR route trees are high school level. It’s as if Patenaude has taken every generic play call and created our playbook. Outside of a handful of pass completions down field our best play was when Patenaude’s play call didn’t work and Yates just did his own thing.

Why Brent Key, who is the assistant head coach, hasn’t either resigned due to the ineptness of Collins and Patenaude or beat the stew out of them for the love of GT is beyond me. To Coach Key - you are a GT alum. Can you please handle these 2. How could he watch Collins burn 2 timeouts in the 3rd quarter when everyone in America watching was screaming at the TV to just line up and run the same play to Mason on 2nd and 3rd down. Key and Choice need to mutiny for the love of GT.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
The money never makes sense to do a buyout - and yet teams do it, because there’s a point where the long term damage outweighs the short term cost. We’re not at that point yet. Lose to KSU ? I think you’re there. Have a 1-2 win season, which seems very possible now, and I think you are there. But then I said it last year too (about this coming season). Willie Taggart had a better outlook than CGC does right now.
I agree with you - losing next week or just having a 2 win season; we need to show we prioritize winning regardless of the cost.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the reality is that Georgia Tech is stuck in a rut with a head coach who can't ... coach. And we don't have the money to get rid of him nor any viable options to make a change. We also don't the money to hire even decent assistants, so we are truly in a bind with the folks we have.

Thank God for other sports where we do have a chance; like golf, baseball, and basketball.

I lived through Pepper Rogers, Bill Curry, and all of that era where we were close to existing D1 football altogether. We won't do that today because we have the ACCN payouts now, so we can do just fine financially by staying and sucking it up much like Vandy is doing. In fact, I think we are now, officially Vandy ... content to bottom feed and use the conference money to fund other sports.

At least with Curry and Ross, we had hope better days were ahead. For the next 5 years, I fear we are the boat in the harbor tipped up on its side where the fishing is good but little else.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
There are good coaches out there that are not getting paid millions of dollars. Without looking up the guy's name, I have no idea who the head coach of UNI is. I'm pretty sure he doesn't make the same money as our million dollar coach does, but he sure did have his team prepared to play football. I think Mr. Collins a good man and has good intentions. However, this is a Todd Stansbury issue. The football program is dying a slow death and his job is to keep that from happening and make it whole. In my opinion, I don't think he is a good AD.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
There are good coaches out there that are not getting paid millions of dollars. Without looking up the guy's name, I have no idea who the head coach of UNI is. I'm pretty sure he doesn't make the same money as our million dollar coach does, but he sure did have his team prepared to play football. I think Mr. Collins a good man and has good intentions. However, this is a Todd Stansbury issue. The football program is dying a slow death and his job is to keep that from happening and make it whole. In my opinion, I don't think he is a good AD.
Just like in business, there is nothing more expensive than a bad hire…. The cost and the opportunity cost of the time you spend with the bad hire can really impact an org’s results. We’re there and yes, that does fall to the AD. (The money donors who didn’t want that high school offense anymore will get away scott free)…

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, as we discuss changes and I certainly think it is an appropriate topic, one issue that does concern me is the ability to identify coaches who can be successful at GT GIVEN our constraints. As has been pointed out, Gailey could not find an OC (nor did he seem to want to), Paul churned through a couple of DC's with no luck. And both of these men were/are good FB minds. What (given our budget) is a successful strategy for hiring young and upcoming talent in this game? We have all seen the schools who churn coaches....without results to the bottom line. I want change if it comes to that but not just for the sake of making change and/or hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
To jgtengineer:

If you'll look at the under performers who came with him from Navy you'll find that your statement isn't accurate. Recruiting was the last staff's major issue. At Navy the entire student body is eligible to be scholarship athletes. Recruiting at Navy is different than at a P5 school in the SE. Coach McCollum was a good recruiter, but he didn't come from Navy. The guys who did were not good recruiters in the P5 conference environment. The last staff needed at least 3 or 4 McCollums, but there was too much loyalty to the former Navy coaches. Gailey refused to hire a good OC. We'll see what happens with the current group. Can Collins be as good of a GM with the coaches as he is with the kids?

But I agree that we have to get off some money. Clemson had 2 offensive coaches making 7 figures until one left for a HC job. Alabama hires former NFL head coaches as assistants.

Buddy Bohannon monken and crew were fine on field coaches that did their jobs right now even key looks to be incompentent because of what is going on. Pretty obvious recruiting isnt the end all be all if you cant coach.

Collins is just like tyson summers was it georgia southern. Said all the same BS. Even recruited a little better than fritz... Only ton suck get canned and they promoted a guy on the staff who embraced southerns established identity and started winning again. Maybe key is that guy maybe key gets the job and decides to run thr ball and have a play action passing game running more I and power. Aka what chans teams were actually good at.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Doing some digging into CGC’s contract will lead you to these facts…

+ 7 year deal worth 23.1 million
+ He is in year 3 currently, making 3.2 million
+ If he is fired within the first four years, he will get all 23.1 million.
+ If he is fired after year 4, he will get 2.4 per year for the years remaining on the 7 year contract.

In conclusion, if we fire him this year, we would fork out 13.8 million. If he is fired at the end of next season (at the end of 4 years) his buyout would be 7.2 million. He isn’t going to get fired this year; that’s a lot of money that I don’t think will be put up or raised. Financially, it’s smarter to wait until the end of next season to can him. That means we may have to deal with this for 23 more games….
Thanks for looking this up. I really think the play here is to pay up for a good OC. Win some games and make Geoff look better than he is with the thought of pawning him off on another program (TN could be a good candidate) without having to pay the buyout. This is kinda what investment capital companies do in business.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So, as we discuss changes and I certainly think it is an appropriate topic, one issue that does concern me is the ability to identify coaches who can be successful at GT GIVEN our constraints. As has been pointed out, Gailey could not find an OC (nor did he seem to want to), Paul churned through a couple of DC's with no luck. And both of these men were/are good FB minds. What (given our budget) is a successful strategy for hiring young and upcoming talent in this game? We have all seen the schools who churn coaches....without results to the bottom line. I want change if it comes to that but not just for the sake of making change and/or hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.
We need and identity and a coach capable of doing more with less