Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The team is better than what we saw tonight. It happens. I can accept that and move on as much as it hurts. We need to hire some experience to help Geoff. Geoff cannot manage a game clock. This is fixable. Hire him a consultant to help him critically evaluate the team and coach him. Let him do his hype/swag/waffle house thing. He is good at it, but he needs an experienced mentor to help him get to the level of a P5 coach.
When you’re making $3M and change a year and you have a P5 job, you better know that stuff already
If he doesn’t have a grip on this five years in as a coach, all a consultant would be is another waste of good money

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Who intimated it?
I know Jeff pretty well anyway
But a good friend of mine talked to him about the South Carolina job

remember, he took over at southern after van gorder pretty much trashed the option - literally and metaphorically- and went 3-8 in his lone season in statesboro and then after Chris Hatcher’s 3 years there (I met BVG. Wasn’t impressed. I liked Hatcher a lot. Really wanted him to succeed)
I’ve known Jeff a long time. Very good coach
And an even better person

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been pretty pro-Collins throughout his entire tenure. Even through The Citadel loss. But this is bad… this is so bad. Inexcusably bad. He’s got to hold on through this year because we just don’t have the money to hire anybody else, but if he doesn’t win more than 3 games he needs to go. This is past the point of embarrassing. It’s to the point where a huge chunk of the fanbase is apathetic. That’s hard to come back from. One random 8-9 win year won’t get those fans back. If he loses to KSU next week he should be fired before midnight.

The only trouble with firing him though, is I'm afraid a lot of his more talented recruits and players will leave as well. Gibbs, Sims, Blackburn, Blackstrain, Jaron Willis, Antonio Martin, etc. That means the next guy that comes in will have an even bigger rebuilding project ahead of him. I’m afraid this tenure is going to put a nail in the coffin of the Georgia Tech football program. We’re already so far behind, if CGC gets fired and our more talented players leave there’s no way we will catch up anytime soon, probably not ever.

I wasn’t in town today because of work and won’t have a chance to be in the ATL on a gameday until the UNC game, but this loss took all of the wind out of my sails this year. I was looking forward to coming back to tailgate and see all my old buddies and teammates, but now I almost don’t even want to come back. If we lose to KSU next week there’s a good chance I take a break from GT football for the year. I’ll unfollow social media accounts and probably suspend my GT Swarm account just so I can limit my interaction with the program. I’m scared Tech football will be doomed as a cellar dweller. TStan is definitely going to have to make some tough decisions soon. Whether that’s pushing CGC to fire assistants, getting him to accept a demotion to an assistant, or firing him altogether. It’s going to be rough around the Flats during fall/winter of 2021 it seems. Here’s to basketball and baseball seasons

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
I can only take the buddy buddy blow smoke yo my a$$ approach for so long and about had enough of it last season, but thought hey Covid free pass right.
Last night was inexcusable. I thought he was a defensive coach…?

put up or shut up.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

Just sound sad and depressed

Thanks for posting this. It was worth the 10 minutes to listen. To my surprise, it was not an excuse-laden take from Collins. I thought it was pretty matter-of-fact, actually. One reporter asked a question about a specific poor decision that a player made, and Collins went out of his way to take responsibility for the error rather than blaming the player (as any coach should).

This was a horrible loss and a pathetic showing. It was another comedy of errors that made our student-athletes look bad and our coaches look much worse.

That being said, the season has to play out. Win 6+ games, and this game won't matter very much. The reason most Tech fans are so upset with this loss is not the 1 game it adds to the L column, it's what it says about the reality of where this team is right now. Many of us were buying enough of the hype to think we could make a bowl game this year. This loss is so bad because it is a very poor prognostic indicator of what is to come.

As others have said, the program is on the brink of declining to a low not seen since 1994 (or perhaps even worse). At the same time, this despair could be a distant memory by the end of October if the team can somehow manage to string together a few wins against mostly beatable teams outside of Clemson. I live over 1800 miles from Atlanta and am experiencing a little buyer's remorse about the tickets I bought to the homecoming game, but I'm not giving away my tickets (I definitely wouldn't be able to sell them right now, that's for sure). Even if the coach needs to go, I believe the student-athletes are deserving of my support. Time will tell. I'm no longer optimistic but will still tune in to see how it unfolds...or unravels as the case may be.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I want to see some punch mouth football.
I want to see an offense with a little misdirection. Presently you can tell where the ball is going the minute it’s snapped.
A defense that gets after your butt.
More blitzing. And more stunts.
To heck with culture, play fundamental football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is a restatement, but clearly some are not heeding the intro warning on this thread. Namecalling, personal attacks on players, coaches, other posters, and foul language aimed any of them will not be permitted.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
“The strides we’ve made, you can see them.”

Come on Collins, saying stuff like this is only making it worse. It may be obvious to you at practice, but it's not translating at game time .
I'm tired of hearing this from him 6-17 record so far and we're still seeing the same report. The guys battled, that was a good team, progress, etc. Progress will be when we win Games not participation points. Collins legacy so far is being elite and memorable embarrassing loses, not wins .

Right now we are still miles away from elite nd in fact , if you take away the hype we really showed last night that we haven't progressed much.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The team is better than what we saw tonight. It happens. I can accept that and move on as much as it hurts. We need to hire some experience to help Geoff. Geoff cannot manage a game clock. This is fixable. Hire him a consultant to help him critically evaluate the team and coach him. Let him do his hype/swag/waffle house thing. He is good at it, but he needs an experienced mentor to help him get to the level of a P5 coach.
This may be our best course of action going forward. Hire a consultant to coach Collins and evaluate what is going wrong. If he fails, at least, Collins’s buyout is decreasing. If Collins improves enough to be a decent coach, our prayers were answered.

Last edited: