Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Real question is, knowing the buyout. How long can Tstan afford to let this go on. If this keeps up we will continue to bleed fans and media attention.
Tstan has no choice. Do you or many other fans plan to make donations to make overhauling the staff possible? Not trying to start a fight but that’s the question that needs to be answered. It’s been numerous articles (e.g., The Athletic, USA Today, etc.) posted on here about how little revenue our athletic department has compared to other P5 schools and the insane amount of debt that we have. Lots of programs (e.g., Auburn, FSU, LSU) don’t balk at buyouts but check their revenues. They can afford it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Tstan has no choice. Do you or many other fans plan to make donations to make overhauling the staff possible? Not trying to start a fight but that’s the question that needs to be answered. It’s been numerous articles (e.g., The Athletic, USA Today, etc.) posted on here about how little revenue our athletic department has compared to other P5 schools and the insane amount of debt that we have. Lots of programs (e.g., Auburn, FSU, LSU) don’t balk at buyouts but check their revenues. They can afford it.
I'm not interested in donating to buying out coach Collins contract, only to try this experiment again with a different coach. There are inherent limitations at tech that any new coach is going to face
What I am interested in though is a change in coordinators , mainly D at this point.

I really want to see Collins succeed at Tech if at all possible, but it's going to require TStan to push him to make the changes

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not interested in donating to buying out coach Collins contract, only to try this experiment again with a different coach. There are inherent limitations at tech that any new coach is going to face
What I am interested in though is a change in coordinators , mainly D at this point.

I really want to see Collins succeed at Tech if at all possible, but it's going to require TStan to push him to make the changes

I have seen the call for a new DC a lot over the last 24 hours. From many posters, not just you. WTBS, CPJ... we all know is a highly respected X's and O's guy. Not many know the game any better than him and I think most rational fans would agree. He changed DC's as often as some people change their socks or underwear. And guess what? Nothing changed!!!!!! Operating under the constraints that exist at GT (budgetary, academic,etc.) are WE SURE that changing coaches will fix the situation? Or is it a symbolic act similar to sacrificing virgins to the FB gods in an attempt to appease the mob? Then we have to wait 2 or 3 more years while guys learn the new system,etc., etc. Are some of you really advocating a "roll the dice, it can't get no worse" approach? I used to be a loud and vocal member of the mob myself but I became aware that the more things change, the more they stay the same. But that's just me. I am in the camp of let's give the guys we have 6 years to see what happens. Unlike the last 4-5 years (approx.), every game we have played this year has kept me engaged until the last minute or 2 (excluding Pitt and KSU). It is entertainment at the end of the day and I have been entertained for the most part this year. To date I might add. I know that past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results as I do particpate willingly in the market and have for decades. Cheers my jolly good fellows.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Virginia is a good team and they played at home and they have one of the best quarterback in the county and we still played with them and could have won. We played good and they played a little bit better than we did. it’s college football and the margin for wins for most is razor thin. So tech nation stop to wining and complaining and just support our team and coaches Bc they are just a few superior teams and the rest can win or loose on ever given Saturday. So just support Georgia tech Bc win lose or draw the next week I will always support the jackets. I’m a life long fan of Georgia Tech and have never went to school there nor could care less about the school but I’m a die hard Georgia Tech fan. Always have and always will be.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have seen the call for a new DC a lot over the last 24 hours. From many posters, not just you. WTBS, CPJ... we all know is a highly respected X's and O's guy. Not many know the game any better than him and I think most rational fans would agree. He changed DC's as often as some people change their socks or underwear. And guess what? Nothing changed!!!!!! Operating under the constraints that exist at GT (budgetary, academic,etc.) are WE SURE that changing coaches will fix the situation? Or is it a symbolic act similar to sacrificing virgins to the FB gods in an attempt to appease the mob? Then we have to wait 2 or 3 more years while guys learn the new system,etc., etc. Are some of you really advocating a "roll the dice, it can't get no worse" approach? I used to be a loud and vocal member of the mob myself but I became aware that the more things change, the more they stay the same. But that's just me. I am in the camp of let's give the guys we have 6 years to see what happens. Unlike the last 4-5 years (approx.), every game we have played this year has kept me engaged until the last minute or 2 (excluding Pitt and KSU). It is entertainment at the end of the day and I have been entertained for the most part this year. To date I might add. I know that past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results as I do particpate willingly in the market and have for decades. Cheers my jolly good fellows.
I’m curious how you came up with 6 years being the appropriate amount of time to give a DC to field a defense that isn’t awful. We won’t have much of a fan base left in 20 years accepting that level of mediocrity.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m curious how you came up with 6 years being the appropriate amount of time to give a DC to field a defense that isn’t awful. We won’t have much of a fan base left in 20 years accepting that level of mediocrity.
Perhaps it's simply arbitrary or random. Or perhaps I saw how effective changing them every 2-3 years was when we did it under our last coach (whom I believe knew more about the game than any of us who post here regularly). If i saw otherwise I might believe differently but my belief in the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus has waned as I have grown older.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Virginia is a good team and they played at home and they have one of the best quarterback in the county and we still played with them and could have won. We played good and they played a little bit better than we did. it’s college football and the margin for wins for most is razor thin. So tech nation stop to wining and complaining and just support our team and coaches Bc they are just a few superior teams and the rest can win or loose on ever given Saturday. So just support Georgia tech Bc win lose or draw the next week I will always support the jackets. I’m a life long fan of Georgia Tech and have never went to school there nor could care less about the school but I’m a die hard Georgia Tech fan. Always have and always will be.
Sorry, but UVA is not very good and their QB is alright. They won’t finish ranked. The ACC has 3 decent teams - Wake, Pitt, and Clemson. I’m like you - I’m a Yellow Jacket till I die but that doesn’t mean I gotta sit here and take it from coaches who aren’t Yellow Jackets for life. In a few years from now, Collins will be a position coach at a mid tier SEC school, and you and I will still be here. I will give Collins credit for getting Gibbs to sign as I’ll be able to pull for him for a few years in the NFL. Just like I’m grateful to Gailey for getting us Calvin.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry, but UVA is not very good and their QB is alright. They won’t finish ranked. The ACC has 3 decent teams - Wake, Pitt, and Clemson. I’m like you - I’m a Yellow Jacket till I die but that doesn’t mean I gotta sit here and take it from coaches who aren’t Yellow Jackets for life. In a few years from now, Collins will be a position coach at a mid tier SEC school, and you and I will still be here. I will give Collins credit for getting Gibbs to sign as I’ll be able to pull for him for a few years in the NFL. Just like I’m grateful to Gailey for getting us Calvin.
Not quite sure what your definition of "good" is. If it is only labeled as one of the top 25 teams in the country. then there must be 100 others that are downright awful. Virginia is a solid team. Do they have some losses still on their schedule? Sure. But just because they beat Tech, doesn't mean they aren't good.

The unwillingness to admit that other teams are better and that GT isn't very good is just mind-blowing. I don't quite understand what your expectations for this season were, would love to hear.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are doing better this year but not good ENOUGH.It was said in Aug, the schedule will make us look worse than we really are probably. but-I was hoping that that the best DEF game of season wouldn't come in game 4..

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not quite sure what your definition of "good" is. If it is only labeled as one of the top 25 teams in the country. then there must be 100 others that are downright awful. Virginia is a solid team. Do they have some losses still on their schedule? Sure. But just because they beat Tech, doesn't mean they aren't good.

The unwillingness to admit that other teams are better and that GT isn't very good is just mind-blowing. I don't quite understand what your expectations for this season were, would love to hear.
I’m not arguing with anyone. I responded to a poster who said UVA was good and had one of the best QB’s in the country. I don’t think UVA is that good. They are decent. They are 6-2 with the 6 wins being William and Mary, Illinois, Miami, Louisville, Duke, and GT. None are ranked or are considered good by anyone. They lost by 20 to the 1 ranked team they played. That’s why I say they are decent but they aren’t “good”. And there QB is alright but he puts up stats against teams that are just bad. Of course, he looks like a stud against us but every QB does. I don’t even know who VT will play at QB on Saturday, but I do know whoever it is will put up at least 250 yards passing on us.

As for my expectations, they were and are low because in the 2.5 years of this staff they’ve shown little when it comes to 60:00 to 0:00. And that is all that matters. I fully admit I’m a grown man and I fell for the rhetoric. I still hope all the rhetoric turns out being real, but the data speaks for itself. I fully expect the OLinemen to whiff, etc because I agree it takes several years to build the lines which is why wins and losses do not matter to me now or in year 1 or 2. But there is no reason that our upperclassmen in the secondary continue to take bad angles and not wrap up. None. There is no reason we have to burn timeouts because we don’t know how to manage a clock. Our QB is obviously not being coached at all regarding the mental aspects of QB. But again, as a fan, I fall for words. I really thought the month of October could set the tone (avenge Pitt, beat Duke, beat UVA, beat VT) and we’d have some momentum. So far we got thrashed twice and thankfully Duke‘s defense sucks as bad as ours and we made some plays to snatch that game. But at the end of the season the question will be, did GT take steps forward. I don’t see it. What I see is more rhetoric coming about the recruiting class, some ”high level” transfers coming in, and a lot of fluff. I’ll be in the stadium this Saturday and am expecting a win because that is the pattern and because VT is as bad as we are.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
s for my expectations, they were and are low because in the 2.5 years of this staff they’ve shown little when it comes to 60:00 to 0:00. And that is all that matters. I fully admit I’m a grown man and I fell for the rhetoric.
I look at it differently. Butch Jones was the seventh (yes, 7th) choice for Tennessee in the coaching search. No one wanted the job. No one wanted the job when Pruitt was hired. Literally. And this is a program that is Top 5 facilities, an incredible fanbase, huge swag sales, private aircraft and oodles of donors.

What can we reasonably expect for Tech? Do we really think we are going to bring in a proven winner? I doubt it. Not with our facilities and our debt. Look at some of the lower tier programs (South Alabama, UAB, Kennesaw, etc) and they are all building brand new facilities with a nice game day atmosphere at a fraction of the cost of our program.

I'm not sold on Geoff. But, he is the only guy that ran INTO the burning building and for that, I'm a wait and see guy. I honestly don't know who would want the job, so godspeed and good luck. Perhaps we will be in a different place in two more years. But did we really have to wander in the desert for 5 years after CPJ? Maybe we did ... but without an "edge" ... I think we will struggle against almost anyone in the Top 25.

*** This comment is brought to you by Jack Daniels, the official whiskey of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets and the World's Best Selling Whiskey. ***

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone agree that there is improvement from years 1-2 to 3? I believe so for offense and special teams, but our defense actually seems worse than in ‘19

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone agree that there is improvement from years 1-2 to 3? I believe so for offense and special teams, but our defense actually seems worse than in ‘19
Defense no , offense better running backs, OL no, special teams yes but in kickoffs and FG's punting no but with the punter we had I wouldn't think it would

slugboy

Staff member
Before the UVA game, our defense was rated higher in SP+ and FEI than it had been in years.

There’s no way it’s worse than it was in 2019

Opponent Points per play (lower is better)
2020 (weird year)0.457

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
@slugboy here you go:

Overall, Offense, Defense

2021 81, 75, 83
2020 101, 92, 88
2019 100, 94, 93
2018 56, 19 , 102
2017 39, 23 , 47
2016 37, 29 , 66
2015 56, 78 , 42
2014 11, 2, 58
Our defensive SP+ rank last week was 47. UVA’s offense was 15. I think it’ll take a dip after this past week, but they were expected to win that matchup.

What numbers are you using?