Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We are definitely between the bottom and middle of that garbage.
I don't agree that the ACC is garbage. However, I think you are in a different universe if you thing GT is anywhere but at the very bottom of the ACC right now. Nowhere close to even sniffing the middle.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It is a lot easier and cheaper to buy out an assistant coach's contracts. First put them on notice that unless performance improves will first be demoted and then contract not renewed. That would force him to start looking. Any decent AD also should have a list of possible hires for "just in case" someone leaves unexpectedly. It is also possible to hire consultants that can't do direct coaching. There will always be guys available once the season is over and the firings start. We are probably stuck with what we have now but could see a change in responsibility until the season is over. Two missed FG's or one that wasn't taken and if made we aren't having these conversations. There are still problems that need correcting.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
For 2 seasons we have been told that we are in the biggest Transition in the history of football. When we watched games, we saw players looking lost out on the field or out of position. We watched strange choices in play calling and game management. It was all the Transition.

After Saturday, the smoke has cleared a bit. It is apparent that most of the issues we were seeing for the last two seasons were bad coaching, not the Transition. We have the wrong coaches in place, not the wrong players.
I remember when Paul was asked about the transition to Collins, he said something to the effect of "these guys are football players". That they had mostly played in the type of offense Collins runs in high school, and that it shouldn't be exceedingly painful.
I tend to believe him.
I think with a competent coach, things shouldn't have been nearly this bad. He has made way too much of the "transition".

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree that the ACC is garbage. However, I think you are in a different universe if you thing GT is anywhere but at the very bottom of the ACC right now. Nowhere close to even sniffing the middle.
Did you see the acc conference record this past weekend? We are the garbage and the dumpster holding it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Did you see the acc conference record this past weekend? We are the garbage and the dumpster holding it.
ESPN marketing hubbabubba. Miami isn't to top of the ACC and losing big to Alabama is no surprise to anyone who wasn't trying to get eyeballs on TV. Louisville was pitiful last year, and I wouldn't expect them to beat anyone except maybe GT. UNC and VT are both ACC teams. I didn't get to see the Clemson game since I was at BDS, but they weren't exactly blown out, the difference in that game was a pick six on defense. Duke and GT are at the bottom of the league. It may turn out at the end of the season that the ACC is the bottom P5 conference. That still isn't known at this point. If you want to follow the Barstool methodology of sports analysis then go right ahead, but I am not following along.

Any implication that GT is a mid-tier ACC team are delusional at this point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree with this after rewatching the game. The potential is there but we got outcoached flat out. We left at least 10 points and probably more like 21+ on the field. The dline and some secondary play concerns me but if we can look like an actual P5 team from an execution level we can make a bowl this year. However , the fact that these coaches can’t figure it out in 2+ years is concerning. Can’t we hire at least 1 or 2 people to teach them how to coach on game day?

100% we got out coached. If you read the interview with NIU's coach, he really didn't make any PHD level adjustments. He just adjusted his personnel and played "big boy" football...and our guys didn't meet the challenge. We got punched in the mouth and did not punch back.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The ACC played three top 10 teams OOC. The rest of the Power 5 played 1 combined. That was never going to go well. Duke and GT were pretty embarrassing though.
If Ga Tech were in the SEC-East they'd have a better shot at winning a conference game this year than they do winning an ACC game at this point. Folks make these conference comparisons look much simpler than they are.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I remember when Paul was asked about the transition to Collins, he said something to the effect of "these guys are football players". That they had mostly played in the type of offense Collins runs in high school, and that it shouldn't be exceedingly painful.
I tend to believe him.
I think with a competent coach, things shouldn't have been nearly this bad. He has made way too much of the "transition".
Collins is still in the grace period of "You can't believe how bad a team Johnson left me". I've seen guys do it in business and industry and they get away with boobery on their behalf until somebody catches on. Of course, GT being GT I am astonished nobody in charge has caught on. Apparently it is easier for a student to get into Tech than get a coach out of Tech.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
100% we got out coached. If you read the interview with NIU's coach, he really didn't make any PHD level adjustments. He just adjusted his personnel and played "big boy" football...and our guys didn't meet the challenge. We got punched in the mouth and did not punch back.
No , but our coach loves them. That has been good for 3 wins a year. Wonder where those 3 wins will come from this year.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC played three top 10 teams OOC. The rest of the Power 5 played 1 combined. That was never going to go well. Duke and GT were pretty embarrassing though.
I would argue that the Louisville loss was also just as embarrassing. I understand that at least Louisville played a P5 team, but Ole Miss is at best a mid level sec team and Louisville didn't even look like they belonged on the same field. In addition, all eyes were on that game since it was the only one on last night, whereas likely very few people actually watched our's or Duke's games.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that the Louisville loss was also just as embarrassing. I understand that at least Louisville played a P5 team, but Ole Miss is at best a mid level sec team and Louisville didn't even look like they belonged on the same field. In addition, all eyes were on that game since it was the only one on last night, whereas likely very few people actually watched our's or Duke's games.
Ole Miss is a ranked SEC team and they beat Louisville by the same amount we did last year. If that was considered embarrassing then people must not know how bad Louisville actually is right now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Listen, we suck. I know. We all know. But a lot of teams suck. And many of them are in our conference. We sucked last her and still beat NC State. That’s all I’m saying. I’ve watched a lot of football in my days and nothing surprises me. I think we’ll win at least 4 games because I’ve seen other ACC teams crap the bed as well as us.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What is so unbelievable is how much less this team is than the sum of its parts.
You don't know the half of it. Sometime in the late 1970s, Doug Dickey was at Florida and had a team chock full of NFL prospects. Ten of them were drafted. They won 1 game and that was against Tech. When he came back to Florida to visit years later as AD of Tennessee, his name was announced as a welcoming gesture that was typically given to all visiting ADs and officials at Florida Field. I was at that game and it was the longest, loudest, sustained booing I have ever heard.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Collins is still in the grace period of "You can't believe how bad a team Johnson left me". I've seen guys do it in business and industry and they get away with boobery on their behalf until somebody catches on. Of course, GT being GT I am astonished nobody in charge has caught on. Apparently it is easier for a student to get into Tech than get a coach out of Tech.
Grace period ended Saturday.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Listen, we suck. I know. We all know. But a lot of teams suck. And many of them are in our conference. We sucked last her and still beat NC State. That’s all I’m saying. I’ve watched a lot of football in my days and nothing surprises me. I think we’ll win at least 4 games because I’ve seen other ACC teams crap the bed as well as us.
I hear you. Tech is capable of just about anything. Collins manages to lose to the Citadel and damn if the same team doesn't beat Miami. Everyone has heard of the infamous "Rudy Game" where Notre Dame beat us 69-14 late in the year. The next week we lost to a bad Navy team. Somehow, we managed to beat a reasonably decent UGA team the very next week. It is what Tech does.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You are correct, but that would mean we would be again adding debt to our ledgers which will hamstring us for another 5 years and prohibit us from spending what we need to on the program. We REALLY need CGC to turn this around in the next year...
Look, Bill Curry took a 1-9-1 team and beat Alabama in the opener. Geoff had 9 months to prepare for THIS.

He can't coach. Last week may have been his high point.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
You are correct, but that would mean we would be again adding debt to our ledgers which will hamstring us for another 5 years and prohibit us from spending what we need to on the program. We REALLY need CGC to turn this around in the next year...
It’s a binary outcome - we need him to turn it around quickly, or we need him to be terrible so we can rip the band aid off and take our medicine. Anything in between is a death spiral.