Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
Wrong. Pitt always has good QB play. And they will next year as well. I bet whoever their QB will out perform whoever we have a QB. We haven’t had a QB get better year to year since Thomas.
do you people even like this team? sometimes i think you guys need to step away if you just get so negative year after year. jeff sims literally improved this year in almost every statistic

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If our only issues were at QB, TE, and OL, then that makes sense. But places where there was no transition regressed.
Ted Roof ran a 4-2-5. We had one year at 3-4 under Nate Woody. What possible reason is there for defensive regression?
We didn’t change our blocking on field goals and extra points, and it took years to get that (mostly) squared away.

DL was in shambles especially DT. Back 7 had to adjust to seeing seeing actual route concepts and techniques. The former is something we are finally get squared away. The latter shouldn’t take 3yrs

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
slovis is not close to kenny pickett. not even a guarantee he’s the starter
Slovis was #2 overall on Kiper's big board going into the 2021 season. Even with his injuries he was still projected to be a 2nd-3rd round pick if he came out. You may be underselling him a bit. He will certainly be the starter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Commentators get a set of talking points from each press office and just read. I have the SEC Network play in the background and it doesn't matter who the pundit is, the words are almost identical. There are a few good ones, but overall ... not a lot of originality.
I've gotten to where I can hardly listen to a college football game anymore. The commentary is notoriously fact free happy talk aimed at at that part of the audience that knows very little indeed about football and making fans fro both sides feel good. When I think back to Lee Grosscup, John Unitas in his first couple of years, or even Don Meredith the contrast ia disheartening. Those people would actually call out bad play on a regular basis and, if a team wasn't very good, would go ahead say so. Nowadays there is always something nice to say about really wretched performances. I understand this, but it really does make listening to games difficult.

One partial exception: our own Roddy Jones. Roddy pretty much calls it as it is, though he's gotten suspiciously more cheerful in the last year or so.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Actually being factual.

The only distortion of the truth here is saying Johnson was consistently winning 7-9 games.

This board is passionate in its defense of Johnson I’ll tell you that.
But you aren't
9 wins was gailey's spike. Saying 7-9 suggests it happened more often.
No one says johnson was consistently winning that many its an average with him but you know don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Slovis was #2 overall on Kiper's big board going into the 2021 season. Even with his injuries he was still projected to be a 2nd-3rd round pick if he came out. You may be underselling him a bit. He will certainly be the starter.
And more importantly, they're returning most or all of that OL. They'll be the odds-on favorite to take the Coastal.

slugboy

Staff member
DL was in shambles especially DT. Back 7 had to adjust to seeing seeing actual route concepts and techniques. The former is something we are finally get squared away. The latter shouldn’t take 3yrs
I’m not sure what I’m missing, but I’d think that the back 7 would at least get up to Ted Roof levels on a per-possession basis in 2020 based on technique, scrimmaging against RPO, S&C, etc.
Didn’t we have at least as much talent as Ted had in 2016-2017?
You might just mean that the DL was in shambles in 2018 and that’s what Collins inherited, but was the DL (and front 6) that much less athletic than what Ted had up until 2017?
Collins said he was focused on culture, but if I was a defense-minded HC in 2019, I’d have looked at the defense and said “I can get a quick win there and make it a lot better”. As a coach, you need all the wins you can get.
In the ACC, only Duke gave up more points than us, and I think that’s because they got worse from last season to this season.
It’s not just a “ball control offense kept the number of possessions down” difference. We got worse on each possession, and our picks are down—you’d think if the other teams are getting more possessions, we’d get more picks instead of less.
If Collins was focused on HC work and culture, and left assistants in charge of building the defense, it doesn’t take 3 years to figure out that the defense is going backwards or treading water. He couldn’t have thought that he could wait to fix that, could he? It doesn’t take 3 years of a team looking great Monday-Friday but not on Saturday to figure out that you have a problem.

My really naive guess — and this is speculation — is that he thought he had cover to get to the end of his contract and fix it eventually during the 7 year contract period and that he had bigger fish to fry.

Towers214

Georgia Tech Fan
i think people are very jaded from the paul johnson era about what it takes to be good in today’s day and age

paul basically wanted to coach his offense and do nothing else and i understand since it was successful. he didn’t recruit as hard or as well as a lot of other coaches and he didn’t wanna market and schmooze the boosters at all. collins came in and was the polar opposite always trying to sell, market and recruit and because he didn’t see success it really rubbed our fanbase the wrong way into thinking that social media and recruiting aren’t important in today’s game.
It is percent increase. It’s high because it’s starting from a small base. We could have gone from 4 people to Collins and Thackers family and made that list. Notice we aren’t on the absolute number chart. Congratulate you’re marketing boy once we are on the absolute growth chart (which based on Cincinnati is driven by wins and success).

JacketFan137

Banned
It is percent increase. It’s high because it’s starting from a small base. We could have gone from 4 people to Collins and Thackers family and made that list. Notice we aren’t on the absolute number chart. Congratulate you’re marketing boy once we are on the absolute growth chart (which based on Cincinnati is driven by wins and success).
ba humbug. no need to be happy about anything ever. let’s just always seek the negative in literally every situation possible!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My really naive guess — and this is speculation — is that he thought he had cover to get to the end of his contract and fix it eventually during the 7 year contract period and that he had bigger fish to fry.

If I were to specualte, which is code word for "I am about to speculate", he made a mistake that I have seen others make in my former line of work (manufacturing)...he spent his time on the aspects of the job that he personally enjoys and left the other aspects to his staff, which wouldn't or couldn't take care of the rest due to their skillsets or experience. It happens frequently in the "real world" and I believe we are seeing it play out here. I have to believe he sees the error of his ways. What remains to be seen is does he have the time and the skillset to pull this off? As a GT fan, I hope that he does.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
ba humbug. no need to be happy about anything ever. let’s just always seek the negative in literally every situation possible!
Don't you think it is important to be realistic? Metrics mean something and the best way to interpret them is to calibrate them against a standard. It's not about being happy or negative. It's about setting competitive goals and evaluating your performance against that benchmark.

slugboy

Staff member
If I were to specualte, which is code word for "I am about to speculate", he made a mistake that I have seen others make in my former line of work (manufacturing)...he spent his time on the aspects of the job that he personally enjoys and left the other aspects to his staff, which wouldn't or couldn't take care of the rest due to their skillsets or experience. It happens frequently in the "real world" and I believe we are seeing it play out here. I have to believe he sees the error of his ways. What remains to be seen is does he have the time and the skillset to pull this off? As a GT fan, I hope that he does.
He’s had a lot of “wake-up and smell the coffee moments" in three+ seasons, though. The Citadel, Duke, VT and UGA in 2019. UCF rubbing it in, Syracuse, Clemson rubbing it in (!!!), BC, and Notre Dame in 2020. NIU, Pitt, UVA, VT, ND, and UGA in 2021.
Admittedly, he was told to wake up before the season in 2021, and the cards were put plainly on the table after ND 2021.
We didn't see any changes in 2020, and in 2021 we saw only minor changes (2 back backfields and a 3-3-6 defense). For a bad analogy, the fire was in his office and he wasn't looking for the extinguisher yet.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s had a lot of “wake-up and smell the coffee moments" in three+ seasons, though. The Citadel, Duke, VT and UGA in 2019. UCF rubbing it in, Syracuse, Clemson rubbing it in (!!!), BC, and Notre Dame in 2020. NIU, Pitt, UVA, VT, ND, and UGA in 2021.
Admittedly, he was told to wake up before the season in 2021, and the cards were put plainly on the table after ND 2021.
We didn't see any changes in 2020, and in 2021 we saw only minor changes (2 back backfields and a 3-3-6 defense). For a bad analogy, the fire was in his office and he wasn't looking for the extinguisher yet.
That that does not kill you makes you stronger...let's hope CGC is up for the task...

JacketFan137

Banned
Don't you think it is important to be realistic? Metrics mean something and the best way to interpret them is to calibrate them against a standard. It's not about being happy or negative. It's about setting competitive goals and evaluating your performance against that benchmark.
the trend is positive. that’s something to be proud of and shows something is happening. we’re never going to be at the very top as our fanbase is older and smaller

Jmonty71

Banned
While we are all on the "fire Geoff Collins" rant. I will say this. He is the one person that will determine his fate. He comes out flat, next year and loses the first 3 games, he should be fired right after. Heck, losing to Western Carolina alone, warrants the firing. Personally, I don't think he stays with GT, after the next season. I see maybe a 4 win season. 4 wins will not save his job. Not remotely close... So, I think we have 1 more year of this (coach)... Using coach in the loosest of terms.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We heard, weekly, in Geoff's press conferences ... "We did not execute well in the game. Our goal is to play to an ELITE level and we will be doing a top to bottom review of EVERY aspect of our program on Monday and we know what needs to be fixed and we will fix it."

THEN ... we found out that Geoff did not have a weekly top to bottom review. (Top to bottom review to me is a review of performance to plan by department with each manager reporting out his performance and his plan to return to plan by X date.) He admitted that he OUTSOURCED this to a survey company who determined that changing the soda in the locker room would be a good idea.

I do not believe it is Geoff's style to aggressively manage performance and I believe that is what is necessary. If you visit the football museum at Alabama, there is a huge set of metric boards reporting Weekly Goal, Performance to Date, and Actual by Week (Game) with who is responsible (player, coach). Coach Gene Stallings credited the laser focus on delivering on those numbers as key to both his management style and Alabama's winning the 1992 Natty. Where did he learn this from? His mentor, Tom Landry, head coach for the Dallas Cowboys. (Tom was an engineer by training and brought a process mindset to coaching football.) Who learned from Stallings? Dabo Swinney.

It continues to amaze me that Georgia Tech leads the world in engineering but can't, for whatever reason, apply this thinking to our athletic teams. But then again, ADTS isn't an engineer and may not have a clue as to how apply technical thinking to solving problems either.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
the trend is positive. that’s something to be proud of and shows something is happening. we’re never going to be at the very top as our fanbase is older and smaller
No offense, but try to push that narrative in any Fortune 50 executive level meeting. I would give you 5 minutes before the CEO heads for HR to have you replaced.