Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the SEC West is tough but if you want to win it all you likely gotta beat whoever comes out of it and at lsu you can be that team. And each of LSU's last 3 coaches has won a natty. How many coaches ago was it that Notre Dame won one? It's definitely possible at notre dame but i think much more likely at lsu
I don't believe CBK would have done this unless the money was HUGE - yes, LSU has won 3 NC's in the 2000's, so I don't disagree with your premise, but coaches don't last at LSU - Kelly could have stayed at ND for another 15 years if he chose to. He went to a school where, yes, he can compete for NC's, but what got him to put himself into the Baton Rouge fire is 12-15 million per year.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe CBK would have done this unless the money was HUGE - yes, LSU has won 3 NC's in the 2000's, so I don't disagree with your premise, but coaches don't last at LSU - Kelly could have stayed at ND for another 15 years if he chose to. He went to a school where, yes, he can compete for NC's, but what got him to put himself into the Baton Rouge fire is 12-15 million per year.
Probably his retirement gig. Win or lose, he’s set for life.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Kelly is already the winningest coach in Notre Dame history and he still never really came close to a National Title. The reason he's leaving is simple: he realizes he never will win a title at Notre Dame, so he's headed someplace he knows he can.

He's already set for life. It has very little if anything to do with money.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol and Nick Saban probably had three other 5 start RB's behind him getting blocked for by a stable of 5 star linemen that he recruited there. Funny we don't have any of those 5 star anythings even though this staff claimed it would be easier to recruit here than at Bama (won't forget that).
No, he had to recruit his first black athlete RBI, Wilbur Jackson, into a very difficult atmosphere.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is already the winningest coach in Notre Dame history and he still never really came close to a National Title. The reason he's leaving is simple: he realizes he never will win a title at Notre Dame, so he's headed someplace he knows he can.

He's already set for life. It has very little if anything to do with money.
I actually disagree. Two reasons:

1. The money is huge and would be hard for anyone to turn down.

2. It might actually be a little easier right now to win a NC at Notre Dame than at LSU. At ND all you have to do is get in the playoffs and pull off one upset win. At LSU you might not even win your own division let alone claw your way out of the SEC to a championship.

He has chosen a harder path, not an easier one. Money is the only way to compensate for the increased stress he is getting ready to take on.

slugboy

Staff member
I actually disagree. Two reasons:

1. The money is huge and would be hard for anyone to turn down.

2. It might actually be a little easier right now to win a NC at Notre Dame than at LSU. At ND all you have to do is get in the playoffs and pull off one upset win. At LSU you might not even win your own division let alone claw your way out of the SEC to a championship.

He has chosen a harder path, not an easier one. Money is the only way to compensate for the increased stress he is getting ready to take on.
I wish the ACC were a strong conference this year. I think this is a shot across the bow of “staying independent”.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
2. It might actually be a little easier right now to win a NC at Notre Dame than at LSU. At ND all you have to do is get in the playoffs and pull off one upset win.
That is the problem right there.

The SEC champ gets an AUTOMATIC invite to the championship. No independent does. So tell me again exactly how it's easier for an independent to get in to the playoffs, especially when they will never, ever play an auto bid team.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is already the winningest coach in Notre Dame history and he still never really came close to a National Title
Curious what you consider close. He played in one BCS championship game and two CFP playoffs during his tenure. I would call that “close”

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That is the problem right there.

The SEC champ gets an AUTOMATIC invite to the championship. No independent does. So tell me again exactly how it's easier for an independent to get in to the playoffs, especially when they will never, ever play an auto bid team.
All ND has to do is go undefeated or have a strong one loss season. There network and their 65 million fans do the rest. At LSU they have to make the SEC championship to even have a shot.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And got absolutely DESTROYED 42 -14. They didn't even belong in that game at all.
But this year they would have a good chance of beating anyone not named Georgia. It’s all about timing and how many times you get to roll the dice on a dream season (see Clemson) and most years at ND they can roll the dice a lot more times than LSU can.

kalld12

Banned
Being realistic (forgetting the buyout), you need 3-5MM for a head coach and a million each for OC and DC. Getting that money will not be easy. I realize if you go G5, you could spend less but more risk in that as well as pointed out by the Collins hire. But at this point, changes have to be made. I think TStan supporting Collins for another year could be the hill he dies on (if he realistically has money to buy Collins out).
This is chump change for certain donors, it comes down to how bad they want to win. We will see what happens and whether their willing to go out and spend the $ to get experienced and proven OC and DC.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They've done that the last 4 years in a row.

No title. Not even close to one.
I think you are missing the point. We are talking about SHOTS at the title. The more shots the better chance you might get lucky and hit the jackpot.

LSU has to be absolutely jacked and loaded to even climb out of their own division, let alone win the SEC. That to me is a harder path to the playoffs.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
But this year they would have a good chance of beating anyone not named Georgia.
Have you ever watched them play? They're not that good at all. As always they schedule mostly losing teams and this year they've barely managed to beat them.

BARELY held on against 6-6 Virginia Tech 32-29
BARELY held on against 6-6 North Carolina 44-34
BARELY held on in overtime to beat 5-7 Florida State 41-38
BARELY held on against 4-4 Toldeo 32-29

Get the picture now?

They will lose the first game of any playoff they get into. Huge.