Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
In what world do some of you still believe Collins knows defense? How much data do you need? He road coat tails while an assistant. Once he became a head coach it all disappeared. I wonder why? Maybe because the coat tails at Miss St and Florida are gone. If the guy knew defense he wouldn’t have let this happen to his career. He is a dead coach walking and he, TStan, and all of us know it. He’s only being retained because of money not because there is faith in him. It’s just awkward. We will pay him because we can’t afford to fire him and he will stay because no one will pay him this much ever again. Its gonna be an odd 2 years.
Didn’t someone say the money to fire him was there if needed?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
In what world do some of you still believe Collins knows defense? How much data do you need? He road coat tails while an assistant. Once he became a head coach it all disappeared. I wonder why? Maybe because the coat tails at Miss St and Florida are gone. If the guy knew defense he wouldn’t have let this happen to his career. He is a dead coach walking and he, TStan, and all of us know it. He’s only being retained because of money not because there is faith in him. It’s just awkward. We will pay him because we can’t afford to fire him and he will stay because no one will pay him this much ever again. Its gonna be an odd 2 years.
I mean that's a possibility as well.

Don't you think it's possible the other way around?

Look I'm the last person who is going to defend CGC, but I'm trying to look at this all rationally.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here’s my problem with this year. Before the season started I saw 7 wins in the schedule. Granted, I was assuming the defense would not totally fall apart this year. I also thought we would finally know how to make substitutions, not screw up time outs, players would know their assignments and we would quit stupid penalties and turnovers.

These were reasonable expectations in year three of a program. Do these basic things and Tech had more than enough talent to beat all the weak sisters in our schedule. I hate that we are now suggesting that our current level of incompetence is to be expected and we should only expect marginal improvement next year. The bar is being set lower and lower.

But if people are ok with that I honestly wonder what year under CGC we would finally win 10 games. Or is 6 or 7 years our ceiling now?

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s my problem with this year. Before the season started I saw 7 wins in the schedule.
I was about the same. I saw 6. I figured we'd be right at .500 this year, maybe a tad over. I certainly didn't expect another trainwreck season.

These were reasonable expectations in year three of a program. Do these basic things and Tech had more than enough talent to beat all the weak sisters in our schedule. I hate that we are now suggesting that our current level of incompetence is to be expected and we should only expect marginal improvement next year. The bar is being set lower and lower.
Well said. True as well.

Most times a new coaching staff comes in you definitely suffer year one. Year two you still suffer a bit but you normally can see things coming together. You're in a few ballgames and are just coming up on the short end of the stick; a stupid mistake here or there costs you two ballgames.

But by God by year three you should be well on your way. You shouldn't STILL be a 3 win team getting completely blown out by pretty much everybody week after week.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean that's a possibility as well.

Don't you think it's possible the other way around?

Look I'm the last person who is going to defend CGC, but I'm trying to look at this all rationally.
I am looking at it rationally. I was all on the hype train even though we all saw his game day coaching in year 1. I overlooked it because it was year 1 and like Northeast posted 2 above we all gave him a pass for substitution issues, penalties, and assignment issues. Then year 2 came and we got shredded by teams who now had a year of film on Patenaude’s offense and Collins defense. Then year 3 has been the worst season I can remember, not because of wins or losses, but because we just look inept in all phases. Our QB’s (name either) continue to just gift wrap turnovers, our OLine is as inept as year 1, our defense is worse than year 1, and this was a totally wasted year regarding QB development. The only thing we do better in year 3 than year 1 is we now have a guy who can now put kickoffs in the end zone. That’s it.

As to Collins defense, if he knew what he was doing he wouldn’t have waited until year 4 to show it. Do I hold out some hope? Unfortunately, I do. That’s where my irrationality comes in as a fan. I will listen to the hype, hear about recruits, hear about the changes during spring practice and summer practice and I’ll admittedly get a little stoked. But rationally we know what will happen because he’s not magically gonna turn into a competent coach. We play Clemson in the first game. That’s a staff that you can guarantee will competently address their shortcomings and they’ll come at us like a wolf released from a cage. If you really look at it, the past 2 seasons were completely wasted because he doesn’t know how to coach. You would think if we were losing we’d at least be growing as a team. We did the worse thing that can be done - we lost but took nothing from it. Like I said, we are a dead program under him but we have to play it out for 1 or 2 more seasons because we can’t afford to fire him and he isn’t going to resign and leave the money. So everyone will smile at each other and we’ll go through the motions like we did this season.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I am looking at it rationally. I was all on the hype train even though we all saw his game day coaching in year 1. I overlooked it because it was year 1 and like Northeast posted 2 above we all gave him a pass for substitution issues, penalties, and assignment issues. Then year 2 came and we got shredded by teams who now had a year of film on Patenaude’s offense and Collins defense. Then year 3 has been the worst season I can remember, not because of wins or losses, but because we just look inept in all phases. Our QB’s (name either) continue to just gift wrap turnovers, our OLine is as inept as year 1, our defense is worse than year 1, and this was a totally wasted year regarding QB development. The only thing we do better in year 3 than year 1 is we now have a guy who can now put kickoffs in the end zone. That’s it.

As to Collins defense, if he knew what he was doing he wouldn’t have waited until year 4 to show it. Do I hold out some hope? Unfortunately, I do. That’s where my irrationality comes in as a fan. I will listen to the hype, hear about recruits, hear about the changes during spring practice and summer practice and I’ll admittedly get a little stoked. But rationally we know what will happen because he’s not magically gonna turn into a competent coach. We play Clemson in the first game. That’s a staff that you can guarantee will competently address their shortcomings and they’ll come at us like a wolf released from a cage. If you really look at it, the past 2 seasons were completely wasted because he doesn’t know how to coach. You would think if we were losing we’d at least be growing as a team. We did the worse thing that can be done - we lost but took nothing from it. Like I said, we are a dead program under him but we have to play it out for 1 or 2 more seasons because we can’t afford to fire him and he isn’t going to resign and leave the money. So everyone will smile at each other and we’ll go through the motions like we did this season.
I'm just as annoyed as you are believe me. I'm certainly not on the hype train, nor was I ever. This is the way I see the decision making process through TStan's pov. And keep in mind, my expectation is not moderate improvement next year, but significant (8 wins or better). Anything less then 8 wins and I'd did show him the door.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
***Sarcasm alert***

I'm tired of these losing seasons and someone has to pay for it. It certainly won't be Collins since our incompetent Athletic Misdirector said Waffle House could occupy the head coach's office for another year. Adjusted for inflation we're paying him slightly more than Lady Gaga and his clothes are no where close to hers for ogling interest. So, who will I target? It can't be my wife who says her team in Boone is leading the division. It won't be my middle son who pulls for uga in spite having gone to school in Iowa (where did I go wrong?). I seriously considered firing @CuseJacket before I realized he could fire me, or worse yet, uninvite me to the annual moderator party at the Ritz Carlton. Currently I am looking at you guys and considering potential targets of my impending wrath. Beware! I am very stealthy when angered. Or, before I have had coffee.

Collins could put everyone at ease by winning six or seven games next year, but he may enjoy making us uncomfortable after all the ugly things we wrote about him and his shoes.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
***Sarcasm alert***

I'm tired of these losing seasons and someone has to pay for it. It certainly won't be Collins since our incompetent Athletic Misdirector said Waffle House could occupy the head coach's office for another year. Adjusted for inflation we're paying him slightly more than Lady Gaga and his clothes are no where close to hers for ogling interest. So, who will I target? It can't be my wife who says her team in Boone is leading the division. It won't be my middle son who pulls for uga in spite having gone to school in Iowa (where did I go wrong?). I seriously considered firing @CuseJacket before I realized he could fire me, or worse yet, uninvite me to the annual moderator party at the Ritz Carlton. Currently I am looking at you guys and considering potential targets of my impending wrath. Beware! I am very stealthy when angered. Or, before I have had coffee.

Collins could put everyone at ease by winning six or seven games next year, but he may enjoy making of us uncomfortable after all the ugly things we wrote about him and his shoes.

It won't be my middle son who pulls for uga in spite having gone to school in Iowa (where did I go wrong?)
trainwreck GIF

I seriously considered firing @CuseJacket before I realized he could fire me, or worse yet, uninvite me to the annual moderator party at the Ritz Carlton.
Wait, I thought it was at the Georgian Terrace? Oh, man, I think I’m on a holiday party snipe hunt.

Adjusted for inflation we're paying him slightly more than Lady Gaga and his clothes are no where close to hers for ogling interest.
I think it’s from the same place though
Crystal Palace Dancing GIF

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If we have the money to fire him, can TStan get those same boosters to ante up $1million for at least a brand name OC and DC? Or use our ACC TV money for that?
Maybe that will happen post season. I think both jobs, collins and stans, are riding on significant improvements but without reloading with 5 stars portal transfers across the LOSs, replacing both coordinators will be collins (and stans) best bet.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Ken says the donors were willing to pay the buyout if asked. Expect staff changes as soon as Sunday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Ken says the donors were willing to pay the buyout if asked. Expect staff changes as soon as Sunday.
People with that kind of money are not normally giving it away unconditionally. I would love to hear what conditions they want.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
People with that kind of money are not normally giving it away unconditionally. I would love to hear what conditions they want.
And you wonder if there are any dependent just on tomorrow’s performance…. ADTS has hitched himself to CGC‘s wagon. It’s now up to him to watch CGC turn it around or decide if he wants to ride him to the bottom. I would say there is a nonzero chance of a total change depending on tomorrow.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Based on the defensive numbers for the last 3 years, I don't see how anyone can defend our DC any longer. He just wasn't ready for this level. I knew something was wrong when we lost to the citadel playing against a team running an offense we ran for 11 years. No preparation. Guess he figured our guys would just out personnel them.
Our OC is marginally better but not by much.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Based on the defensive numbers for the last 3 years, I don't see how anyone can defend our DC any longer. He just wasn't ready for this level. I knew something was wrong when we lost to the citadel playing against a team running an offense we ran for 11 years. No preparation. Guess he figured our guys would just out personnel them.
Our OC is marginally better but not by much.
That sounds like the absolute minimum move to expect.