Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be a savvy move from CGC (or with TStan's input) to stay away from anything that looks like marketing lingo for the next few weeks. He needs to fall back into "coach-speak" mode for a bit.
Yes. Past Tech coaches would at least admit when a team had a lot of work ahead of it and “we’re not very good right now.” Sometimes the coach needs to show storm clouds in his demeanor not sunshine and roses.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone have a link to the postgame press conference? Seeing elsewhere that Collins said we played at a high level and made tremendous progress.
Yep, that was me, I was streaming the post game from a link from the Tech app on my iPad because it was that weak signal 106.3 I can't pick up over the air, but streaming as part of the Tech Football radio network.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Very likely that Yates starts next week. Sims had his arm in a sling and no way he starts if he can't practice. I hope it's not a serious injury and he recovers quickly. We have suddenly become thin at QB without him. Yates took some dangerous looking hits when he scrambled.
I hate to be honest but I think I would like to see Yates start next week. I know it wasn't a lot of plays but Sims looked the same as last year to me.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
I am concerned about Sims as a QB. Kind of reminds me of James Graham ....great athlete but with no touch or feel. I have always felt ike those are things you have or don't although everyone can improve with practice. He missed a lot of very wide open receivers (or maybe I should say a high % as he really didn't have a lot of attempts before leaving the game).

Moderator Note: Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff.

Saying our starting qb has no touch or feel, kind of seems like a personal attack on a current player. What do you think, moderator? Bet you wouldn’t say that to his face.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I really liked Collins, and I really liked Paul. I think Collins had been doing what he actually said he was going to with changing the image of tech with recruits and national media and could see the buzz he was creating. So I really wanted him to succeed and see where it could go.

with that said, the marketing spiel is done, stop doing it and focus on coaching your players. it just makes Collins look like a marketing robot on repeat at this point and the fan base annoyed, angry, and unimpressed. Just man up and say you got out-coached, this is year 3 of your program and the team results are unacceptable, and this is how you are going to fix it. If it doesn’t get fixed then you are making changes within your staff, etc.

I think we are stuck unfortunately now because of the commitment we made with his contract and are going to feel like vandy/wake forest/etc, where you hope your team wins at least enough games to go to a bowl but know deep down you are probably only going to win a couple of games a year and have no real shot of competing with good teams.

unless we somehow pull a miracle and win like the next 6 out of 7 games, I can’t see how our recruiting isn’t impacted and program apathy sets in.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Moderator Note: Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff.

Saying our starting qb has no touch or feel, kind of seems like a personal attack on a current player. What do you think, moderator? Bet you wouldn’t say that to his face.
naa, thats just criticism. personal attack would be along the lines of hes a POS and doesnt belong on a football team.

saying he doesnt have touch for his passes isnt a personal attack

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I see it as an honest and specific critique of his on the field performance based on what I see. I think evaluating players and coaches performance is within boundaries. I think Collins has issues with game and clock management. I think Matt Kuchar is a spectacular golfer but does not have the mental aspect to win a major golf tournament. I think comments like that are relevant and even necessary to discuss sports. Calling these men 'lazy", 'crooked", "morons", "idiots" etc. is not a necessary part of having a genuine sports related conversation.

If you feel it is inappropriate, go back and report it and somene else can evaluate it. If I'm wrong, I will apologize.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am concerned about Sims as a QB. Kind of reminds me of James Graham ....great athlete but with no touch or feel. I have always felt ike those are things you have or don't although everyone can improve with practice. He missed a lot of very wide open receivers (or maybe I should say a high % as he really didn't have a lot of attempts before leaving the game).
I thought the same thing he look like he did last year. Yates I thought played better than the little we saw him last year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Very logical post. I don’t care how much time he has to change the culture if he can’t coach. And, if we keep embarrassing ourselves like tonight, #2 won’t keep happening. Also, do you really believe he will suddenly become a great coach with great gameday acumen? But, can‘t argue with you much on #3 & #4.
We thought we lacked the players to compete. Now we have the players & now we know who’s the issue. How long before Stansbury figures it out or will Stansbury take the pipe trying to protect his guy because he ran off “not his guy”?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think culture is BS but wins are what transitions the “culture” to a “winning culture.” Elite 4 and 5 star recruits want to win and develop. It’s still week 1 of year 3 but development and performance need to be better. The only good news is I don’t think these guys like to lose but the rest of the season will matter. They have to make plays and play fundamental football. I agree they need to get back to basics of blocking and tackling.
The culture may be sincere but that does not necessarily mean it is a culture that translates to winning. I appreciate your optimism and level-headed approach to this whole situation (admittedly much more level headed than I am), but at what point does losing games we should win point towards building something better? Did we improve from the Citadel? Did we learn from Pitt or NC State at the end of last year? I know our players don't like losing. I don't fault the players one bit. They put their bodies on the line for our entertainment. Not only do they have the immense responsibility of being a student athelete at tech, they also have to dedicate atleast 40 hrs a week to making memes for the coaches and croots. I fault our coaches and admin for what is transpiring. The hill has not been the most supportive with atheltics in general and our coaches seem in over their heads.

We are worse off than Butch Jones at Tennessee. Collins does not yet have a win that announces the arrival of his vision of the program. Not only that, we have not even seen glimpses of it. Any notion that tonight was a step forward is just false. Our touted qb of the future is hurt. Our defense still got physically dominated. Any hope that we had in the Collins regime has been founded on the platitudes that we are fed in press releases, articles, and an increased (and much improved) social media presence.

I don't mean to exaggerate but as a program, we are staring into the abyss. NIL and the SEC getting Texas and Oklahoma are going to change the college football landscape dramatically. Why would a 5 star player ever come to tech to get sponsored by Tivo (which many of us didn't even know still existed) when you can get a million dollars at bama for not even taking a snap. The power five is soon going to be split into the haves (bama, clemson, oklahoma, ohio state, etc) and the have-nots (ga tech, duke, vandy, kansas, purdue) more than it ever has before. Gibbs was a miracle for Collins and largely due to Choice as a recruiter.

And before anyone lambasts me about comparing our program to the vandy's of the world, what is the difference between a Collins' led tech and any of these schools? Vandy just hired a vandy guy and lost to East Tennessee! We have won 3 games each of the last couple of years and not many of those wins felt like great ones. Our history as a football program is great and something to be proud of. Then again, Tulane and Sewanee can both point to glory days too.

We need to sober up and stop drinking the spiked kool-aid. Tech can be a great program, but it is going to take a special hire to make it so. A hire that did more than scavenge two 7-5 seasons with Matt Rhule's scraps at Temple. In realty, we have been a pretty stable team since the late 90's. Johnson, Gaily, and O'Leary all had a pretty steady go at tech where bad years could be written off as just an unfortunate season. Collins is starting to look like an outlier to those 3. The season is not over, but I am just fatigued by all of this. The gamble that T-Stan made was to get an energetic guy in to lead a transition through rough years created by the transition that he desired. T-Stan is on the hook for that.

That said, Collins was a breath of fresh air personality-wise from Johnson. Something that Tech maybe did need. Johnson also just seemed tired. Poor guy did 11 years at tech. I was tired enough after 4. The problem is that magnetism and eagerness is only going to go so far without results. We could have won this game handing the ball off to mason and gibbs all night.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, well, rule one in college football is win games.
rule two is see rule one. If I were those guys, I would go slinking out of sight with my tail between my legs because they have created a situation that has the possibility of taking a decade to clean up similar to what has happened with Tennessee and Nebraska.
NO, "Rule 1" is:
"I don't want to catch anyone NOT drinking"

-- Bruce