Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but don't forget about the "Golden Rule"...those with the gold get to make all the rules! ;)
Yes, well, rule one in college football is win games.
rule two is see rule one. If I were those guys, I would go slinking out of sight with my tail between my legs because they have created a situation that has the possibility of taking a decade to clean up similar to what has happened with Tennessee and Nebraska.

PaulGT72

Georgia Tech Fan
I truly hope he did not say that
“The strides we’ve made, you can see them.”

GTMarine

GT Athlete
Well, my point was that Collins, like Chan, seems to have put all his chips on Sims. Personally, I would tweak the offense a bit to run more, more option type plays that Yates is comfortable with executing. Yates biggest drawback seems to be throwing the ball deep but he makes quick decisions and is accurate with short and medium passes. I don't know what to do about the defense. The line is just about as bad as it was last year.
I don’t know if he is fully invested in any one player. He likes to promote competition and it showed with Yates stepping up and playing pretty well. O-line needs some work and D-line was getting pushed around. Guys need to show up to game day ready to play. I think there is a lack of focus in execution. Yates did make one good deep throw btw.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Worst loss of this era? Hard to say. Clemson was bad to be sure and embarrassing to boot. The thing about comparing this one to the Citadel is that Northern Illinois clearly has more talent and is more physical than the Citadel was and we looked much worse in that game IMHO. If Jeff is going to be out for an extended stretch I would find a way to run more option plays with Yates. He makes quick decisions, has good feet, and pitches the ball cleanly and on time. The one thing he cannot do is throw the ball deep consistently. He was very accurate much of the time with short and medium passes. The biggest problem to me is the defensive line. No pressure on the quarterback and once again we let a unheralded running back look like the second coming of Barry Sanders.

Citadel was game 2 and this is year 3. This is way worse, IMO.

Agree with your other insights

Animal02

Banned
Yeah this was really the only thing that let me accept the Collins hire in the first place. We weren't getting anyone better.

Tried to at least be hopeful but I definitely didn't expect we'd be this bad.
They did not bother to even talk to anyone that would have run a similar system to CPJ. They wanted a pro style coach....ignoring the fact that almost anyone with pro aspirations was not going to come to Tech.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, my point was that Collins, like Chan, seems to have put all his chips on Sims. Personally, I would tweak the offense a bit to run more, more option type plays that Yates is comfortable with executing. Yates biggest drawback seems to be throwing the ball deep but he makes quick decisions and is accurate with short and medium passes. I don't know what to do about the defense. The line is just about as bad as it was last year.

I am concerned about Sims as a QB. Kind of reminds me of James Graham ....great athlete but with no touch or feel. I have always felt ike those are things you have or don't although everyone can improve with practice. He missed a lot of very wide open receivers (or maybe I should say a high % as he really didn't have a lot of attempts before leaving the game).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The team is better than what we saw tonight. It happens. I can accept that and move on as much as it hurts. We need to hire some experience to help Geoff. Geoff cannot manage a game clock. This is fixable. Hire him a consultant to help him critically evaluate the team and coach him. Let him do his hype/swag/waffle house thing. He is good at it, but he needs an experienced mentor to help him get to the level of a P5 coach.
This situation may have gone beyond a few tweaks but we will see. If Jeff is out for an extended period of time, the coaches will have a sure enough challenge ahead of them.

Animal02

Banned
The team is better than what we saw tonight. It happens. I can accept that and move on as much as it hurts. We need to hire some experience to help Geoff. Geoff cannot manage a game clock. This is fixable. Hire him a consultant to help him critically evaluate the team and coach him. Let him do his hype/swag/waffle house thing. He is good at it, but he needs an experienced mentor to help him get to the level of a P5 coach.
Geoff cannot coach, all he can do is hype.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am concerned about Sims as a QB. Kind of reminds me of James Graham ....great athlete but with no touch or feel. I have always felt ike those are things you have or don't although everyone can improve with practice. He missed a lot of very wide open receivers (or maybe I should say a high % as he really didn't have a lot of attempts before leaving the game).
I am not an expert but those more knowledgeable can weigh in but it would seem to me that Jeff has a much better arm than Yates but Yates just has a knack for making quick decisions about where to go with the ball perhaps, the "touch and feel" for the game you are talking about.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Christ in His church. Please Geoff, just shut up.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Geoff cannot coach, all he can do is hype.

I think it would be a savvy move from CGC (or with TStan's input) to stay away from anything that looks like marketing lingo for the next few weeks. He needs to fall back into "coach-speak" mode for a bit.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if he is fully invested in any one player. He likes to promote competition and it showed with Yates stepping up and playing pretty well. O-line needs some work and D-line was getting pushed around. Guys need to show up to game day ready to play. I think there is a lack of focus in execution. Yates did make one good deep throw btw.
The only "404 takeover" that I could see tonight was by Northern Illinois. They made the plays they had to make and we didn't.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone have a link to the postgame press conference? Seeing elsewhere that Collins said we played at a high level and made tremendous progress
I have been following GT football since 1958, I have witnessed many highs and many lows
as a GT fan. I don't have many years left to pull for the Old Gold & White. I used to attend all home games, and some away games but because of my age and health issues, I am no longer able to be at GT's home games. I thought I had seen it all when BL was here as our head coach, but this guy we have here now is in over his head. It was a red flag to me when he was hired that he had been a Head Coach, once and for a short time at Temple and he never stayed any length of time as an assistant coach at the various schools he coached at. Hype and swag does not win football games. I don't believe the GTAA can afford another buyout, so unfortunately I guess we are stuck with this guy.
THWG!!!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Give the man 5 mins. This is year 3. Appears our offense is STILL not built for 3rd and 10.

to be fair - Coach P called a great game. Our execution was trash for the most part.
In year 3, he’s now 6-17
That includes losses to:
A FCS team that finished with a losing record (IIRC)
A team last year that did not win another game
And now to a team that went bagel and six in 2020
Plus, none - none - of the 6 wins have been against teams that finished with a winning record

This is his team now - all the recruiting and the transfer portal pickups - this is now 100 % on him

he needs to be shown the door

Animal02

Banned
No need to say anything more about the clown show.
"Collins complimented his players on “how hard they fought.” He even spoke of “the way we’ve built this program,” as if he and not the man in Tuscaloosa is the model builder. Reality check: Tech under Collins is 6-17. It was just picked to finish sixth in the seven-team ACC Coastal, ahead of only Duke, which just lost its opener to Charlotte. And Tech just one-upped that by losing to Northern Illinois."

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
To be fully honest he may be the best option for our current position. He needs to have a few more years for multiple reasons:
1) He is changing a culture. It takes time.
2) The talent pool is increasing. Case: Yates and Gibbs
3) He has 4 more years left on contract which would most likely mean $10M+ buyout. That money could be better spent on facilities, recruiting efforts, and support for student athletes.
4) Who else would want this job? We have a fair weather fan base for the most part and not enough money.
Wait... he said JUST YESTERDAY in a radio interview that "His culture and brand are now fully established and now he is excited because he gets to focus only on coaching the team during the season".

The recruiting shows more stars, but are their talents suited to this system, whatever it is?

And after seeing this scheise show tonight, how many of the 2022 class are going to flip if this is a 2 or 3 win season before the early signing day? How many of our best players (Gibbs!) will listen to NIL enticements from factories to enter the portal now that he's proven he's an elite talent (even though G***f ?C*****s doesn't leverage it)

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
even if collins doesnt pan out. don’t think it was a bad hire. he’ll have the roster stronger when he leaves than when he got here. this job has already become a lot more attractive to an “x’s and o’s” guy then it was 3 yrs ago. we’ll see.
All of the things we see today we saw the first season