Fire CJP

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner's issue at GT has always been slow starts to the season. I don't know what it is, even with his experienced teams here at GT, Pastner's teams seem to lose games we should win to start the season. Then once conference season starts, we tend to do well...but the early part of the season does us in when it comes to tournament (NIT and NCAA) resume bids.

There's talent on this team to at least finish in the top 6-8 in the ACC. However, we need to find our footing because now we're 0-3 to start our ACC schedule.
I think there's talent on this team, but it looks to be not well constructed. The lack of experienced talent at PG and the post is really hurting. Pastner's job is to build and construct a program. He's going to have to fill out the roster better in the future to avoid these kind of seasons.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think there's talent on this team, but it looks to be not well constructed. The lack of experienced talent at PG and the post is really hurting. Pastner's job is to build and construct a program. He's going to have to fill out the roster better in the future to avoid these kind of seasons.
Sturdivant has experience, he just needs to play better. I think once Bubba gets his feet under him that will help at pg. I truly believe had he not gotten injured we would have 3 more wins on our record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

On paper, this is quite possibly the most talented team we've had since the Hewitt tournament teams. Devoe, Usher, Sturdivant, Smith, Deebo, Kelly, Saba were all ranked 4 stars by at least one recruiting service. Unfortunately, Smith, Deebo, Kelly, and Saba are still young and inexperienced. The hope is that one of them would play beyond their years like Devoe did as a freshmen and sophomore. That hasn't happened yet for them. You see flashes with each of them, but we need what they will be in a year or two NOW.

Sturdivant hasn't been the guy we thought he would be once Alvarado left. No one in their right mind should think he was going to replace everything Alvarado brought to the table, but I think we all expected more than what Sturdy has shown thus far this season. He's shown flashes, but he needs to be more consistent. Usher and Devoe need someone to help carry the offensive load. Last season, we had 4 guys who could potentially go for 15+ points on a given night. Right now, it's just the 2 seniors Usher and Devoe...we need guys like Sturdivant to step it up.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Another thing that I don't understand is people saying Pastner cannot recruit. Some here clearly have never tried selling a poor product.

Yes, we all love GT and agree that there are many great things and much tradition, but kids today don't remember any of that.

Pastner inherited such a ****ty situation and was able to put together enough talent to win. He finally saw it payoff with a strong class last year.

Some are still confused about this year. There's only two spots so we are being overly selective and will probably use both on the portal.

I'm not sure why anyone would think our recruiting is down this year. We're following the plan that has been clearly presented.
Sorry but after 6 years of recruting at GT where talent abounds in the local area to only get 3 top 150 players is simply awful recruting. You can't regularly compete in the ACC with such poor recruting. Guys like Moses who were very low recruits who turn into the Conference Player of the Year happen once in GT's history. If Pastner doesn't significantly improve his recruting he will be a GT head coach for about 3-4 more years simply because we can't afford to replace him. Hard to see how this years team gets above .500 overall and in Conference play. This is a very down year foe the ACC so being above .500 should be expected.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
other team fans must come here and laugh that we have a fire coach thread less than halfway through a season after winning the ACC tournament, having the ACC PoY who was a 0 star recruit developed by the staff and making the NCAA tournament for the first time in over a decade. Yall act like GT is Duke on this board lol.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Man, the press loves Pastner. He’s a consistent “feel good” story

The best part about this is that it is just Josh as his purest. It's just who he is, there's no faking this. If you are a high school player and want to get better, make the NBA, have 4-5 fun years with your teammates, and playfully bully your coach because he's a complete nerd, there could not be a better program in the country than Georgia Tech. How much fun the players have shows when you watch them dive after loose balls for tie-ups and fast breaks.

slugboy

Staff member
The best part about this is that it is just Josh as his purest. It's just who he is, there's no faking this. If you are a high school player and want to get better, make the NBA, have 4-5 fun years with your teammates, and playfully bully your coach because he's a complete nerd, there could not be a better program in the country than Georgia Tech. How much fun the players have shows when you watch them dive after loose balls for tie-ups and fast breaks.
The local sports press in the RTP area loves Pastner and consider him one of the few interesting coaches to cover in the ACC—they’re frustrated by our record though. If we were a top 30 team, they could spend a lot more time on Pastner, which is fun for them.

1. Even though we’re focused on the transfer portal for this season (partially because some of the players we went after went elsewhere), the AA should look at ways to get recruiting help to Pastner. Their hands are probably tied because of football right now.
2. Pastner is trying different things to unclog the offense (horns, etc), but it’s still clogged. He’s tried a full 5-out when we didn’t have the shooters, and he canned it. (I don’t know when we’ll ever have 5 outside shooters better than 35% from 3, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). He says he’s resetting now, so I’ll wait a bit and see what he does, but I’d like to see us a little more like FSU where we have a flexible scheme that stretches to fit our players but doesn’t get as clogged when we don’t have players that can make their own shots.
(Even Jose had trouble manufacturing his own shots for a long while)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Another thing that I don't understand is people saying Pastner cannot recruit. Some here clearly have never tried selling a poor product.

Yes, we all love GT and agree that there are many great things and much tradition, but kids today don't remember any of that.

Pastner inherited such a ****ty situation and was able to put together enough talent to win. He finally saw it payoff with a strong class last year.

Some are still confused about this year. There's only two spots so we are being overly selective and will probably use both on the portal.

I'm not sure why anyone would think our recruiting is down this year. We're following the plan that has been

I'm not sure why anyone would think our recruiting is down this year. We're following the plan that has been clearly presented.
I’m concerned that there was no recruiting class signed in 2021 to replace Usher, Devoe, and Parham.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Devoe and Usher are playing their hearts out Khalid reminds me of Leaky Black or Theo Pinson... he doesn't put up great stat lines, but he is sold defensively and can make the stars better. I agree with several folks that post and PG are major areas of improvement right now. Between Kyle & Deivon, we have kids that can develop / improve at the point. Are they Alvarado? No. But they can run the offense and score opportunistically. I have more concern about post as Saba, Jordan and Rodney haven't shown much and I'm not sure the upside is very high for that crew. (Lammers, Banks and Moses show that upside is often hard to assess, so I'll remain optimistic that Reveno can work his magic with this trio as well)

Looking to next year, we will need major improvement from the frosh, which is not unusual and something I think can be expected. Deebo will be fine. He needs confidence and more time on the court, IMO. Ditto Deivon. We will need to hit the portal to shore up spots because we lose a ton this year. That's the new normal with the NCAA sanctioned free agent market.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
This is somehow, despite all the odds, the dumbest thread I've ever encountered here. Some folks on this board just want to be right about how they pegged a coach before they were hired. Please, just cheer for the team instead of trying to prove you're the smartest guy in the room.

GT11

GT Athlete
This is somehow, despite all the odds, the dumbest thread I've ever encountered here. Some folks on this board just want to be right about how they pegged a coach before they were hired. Please, just cheer for the team instead of trying to prove you're the smartest guy in the room.
Or maybe they should have applied for the job

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

A couple days ago I looked at the latest post topics finding “Fire Geoff Collins and Fire CJP” topping the football and basketball list. I pushed back on a weird desire to find and bump the old "Fire Danny Hall" thread for the Trifecta. :banghead:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The action of firing Pastner is not something I necessarily disagree with but CJS leaves with him and just when Coach Jules is paying dividends. The program is notorious for not paying top dollar for HEAD COACHES nevermind assistants.

So, we fire Pastner, bring in….who? Someone from the $5 Walmart bin because we blew our wad on Collins because the AA refuses to acknowledge we are a basketball school and not a football school. Then the $1 bargain bin assistant that we bring in because we aren’t going to pay for Jarvis Hayes, Yasir Rosemund or anyone else that recruits Atlanta like a lunatic comes in and needs to build in-roads.

Then, if the middling coach we hire happens to bring in a guy that the touchy Atlanta coaches eventually like after 4 years start to send some players (that qualify) our way….what have we gained?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The action of firing Pastner is not something I necessarily disagree with but CJS leaves with him and just when Coach Jules is paying dividends. The program is notorious for not paying top dollar for HEAD COACHES nevermind assistants.

So, we fire Pastner, bring in….who? Someone from the $5 Walmart bin because we blew our wad on Collins because the AA refuses to acknowledge we are a basketball school and not a football school. Then the $1 bargain bin assistant that we bring in because we aren’t going to pay for Jarvis Hayes, Yasir Rosemund or anyone else that recruits Atlanta like a lunatic comes in and needs to build in-roads.

Then, if the middling coach we hire happens to bring in a guy that the touchy Atlanta coaches eventually like after 4 years start to send some players (that qualify) our way….what have we gained?
Jonas Hayes gonna be head coach at UGA next year too.