Fire CJP

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Alverado, Wright, Devoe or Okogie, Lammers, Jackson. I think its a toss-up.

Not sure what the point of the comparison is but this isn't close at all. I'd argue the first 3 are the three best college players of the 6 players you listed.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I like Pastner as a dude. But he’s not very good at the basketball coaching part. But he’s still way better than Hewitt and Gregory. He’ll be cooked when the freshmen portal out.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I like Pastner as a dude. But he’s not very good at the basketball coaching part. But he’s still way better than Hewitt and Gregory. He’ll be cooked when the freshmen portal out.
Is there any hint of anyone transferring out? People love to spew stuff here. The fact this thread is coming after losing at #2 Duke where they shot 40 FTs tells me about half of you watch the games. BTW for those saying CJP is gone where is the money coming to fire the football and basketball coaches AND hire competent replacements?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The development of this team offensively is very disappointing.Depending on 2 guys is ridiculous. (as is getting under 60 pts) If things don't change, we are headed for a DREADFUL season next yr.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
The development of this team offensively is very disappointing.Depending on 2 guys is ridiculous. (as is getting under 60 pts) If things don't change, we are headed for a DREADFUL season next yr.
You could tell by the end of Elder’s freshman season he was going to be special. Would love to see Coleman make that jump over the next few months.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Before opening this I figured that someone was embarrassed by the face shield.

I'm embarrassed that Pastner isn't sporting cornrows or a mullett. You don't escape the basketball gods...and at this point, he owes it to GT and the players make it right. This season hinges on what he does with his hair.

(end sarcasm...kinda)

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This is probably his worst team yet and it comes this late in his tenure. The Mickey Mouse ACC title can only hold so much weight when you tie in the first round exit of the tournament. If Collins is canned Stansbury will likely follow and the new AD might move the BBall program in a new direction not too long after.

slugboy

Staff member
This is probably his worst team yet and it comes this late in his tenure. The Mickey Mouse ACC title can only hold so much weight when you tie in the first round exit of the tournament. If Collins is canned Stansbury will likely follow and the new AD might move the BBall program in a new direction not too long after.
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

What sane AD disrupts both major ticket sports at the same time? Even if they wanted to, what secret stash of money would they use to revamp our two most expensive sports at the same time? Even within a year or two?

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Alverado, Wright, Devoe or Okogie, Lammers, Jackson. I think its a toss-up.
Not sure what the point of the comparison is but this isn't close at all. I'd argue the first 3 are the three best college players of the 6 players you listed.
It's just a comparison of what Pastner inherited versus what many think to be his best team. It seems that there has been very little upgrade and this year we have seen a significant downgrade.

slugboy

Staff member
It's just a comparison of what Pastner inherited versus what many think to be his best team. It seems that there has been very little upgrade and this year we have seen a significant downgrade.
Gregory had a senior-led roster his final season. Pastner got a lot more out of his players (look at Lammers under Gregory vs under Pastner).
If your argument is that Pastner isn’t pulling in 5-stars, then yes—so far he isn’t. Otherwise, Pastner is a solid improvement over Gregory.
We miss Labarrie as a recruiter, but Swartz is doing well. Many of us would like to see us move away from Pastner’s style of Princeton offense to one that’s easier on our athletes, but that’s not a lack of confidence in Pastner—that’s wanting an easier scheme.
If you look, 52 points per game graduated off of Gregory’s last team. That’s a HUGE loss of returning production. Jorgenson was supposed to be the next PG, but his knees were shot. Pastner making the NIT in a transition year was an ACC COY-level accomplishment.

Gregory’s last roster:
PlayerClassPosSummary
Marcus Georges-HuntSRF16.7 Pts 3.4 Reb 3.3 Ast
Adam SmithSRC15.0 Pts 2.3 Reb 1.9 Ast
Nick JacobsSRF10.5 Pts 5.8 Reb 0.3 Ast
Charles MitchellSRF10.1 Pts 9.7 Reb 0.6 Ast
Quinton StephensJRF5.0 Pts 3.8 Reb 1.1 Ast
Tadric JacksonSOG4.7 Pts 1.2 Reb 1.2 Ast
Ben LammersSOC3.6 Pts 4.0 Reb 0.5 Ast
James WhiteSRG3.5 Pts 4.4 Reb 0.4 Ast
Josh HeathJRG2.7 Pts 1.1 Reb 2.8 Ast
Travis JorgensonSOG1.9 Pts 0.9 Reb 2.1 Ast
Corey HeywardJRG0.6 Pts 0.1 Reb 0.0 Ast
Rand RowlandJRF0.0 Pts 0.0 Reb 0.0 Ast

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/6/2022.

Pastner’s first roster:

PlayerClassPosSummary
Josh OkogieFRG16.1 Pts 5.4 Reb 1.6 Ast
Ben LammersJRC14.2 Pts 9.2 Reb 2.1 Ast
Tadric JacksonJRG12.1 Pts 2.2 Reb 1.8 Ast
Quinton StephensSRF10.4 Pts 7.6 Reb 2.2 Ast
Josh HeathSRG5.3 Pts 2.6 Reb 4.4 Ast
Justin MooreFRG4.4 Pts 1.8 Reb 2.4 Ast
Corey HeywardSRG1.9 Pts 1.8 Reb 1.0 Ast
Christian MatthewsFRF3.4 Pts 0.6 Reb 0.3 Ast
Sylvester OgbondaFRC1.6 Pts 1.0 Reb 0.2 Ast
Kellen McCormickSRF1.5 Pts 0.3 Reb 0.1 Ast
Abdoulaye GueyeSOF1.2 Pts 2.5 Reb 0.5 Ast
Jodan PriceSRG0.3 Pts 0.5 Reb 0.1 Ast
Norman HarrisSOG0.5 Pts 0.3 Reb 0.0 Ast
Shaheed MedlockFRG0.7 Pts 0.3 Reb 0.0 Ast
Rand RowlandSRF0.3 Pts 0.5 Reb 0.3 Ast

Generated 1/6/2022.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Then why stop at only 3 players? I mean we know why but still.

Anyways, last year's roster was so much better than the one he inherited. Lets go by position.

PG - Alvarado >>> Heath.
SG - Devoe >>> Jackson
SF Okogie >>> Moore
PF Usher >> Stephens
C Wright >>> Lammers.

Those are the starters. For the bench last year we had a shallow bench and it was an obvious weakness. But it still clearly outclassed the inherited one.

Parham, Sturdivant, Howard, Gigiberia >>> Justin Moore, Christian Matthews, Corey Heyward, Sylvester Ogbonda, Gueye.

Keep in mind the most proven returning player Pastner had was Stephens who had had averaged 5/4 in 20 mpg the year before. Last years team was a very clear upgrade just in talent, but also in roster composition, and in proven ability coming in. And that isn't because last year was super stacked, but because when you compare any decent roster to one playing Josh Heath 30 minutes, a freshman Justin Moore 19 minutes, and Corey Heyward 17 minutes it's going to be lopsided.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner has acknowledged missteps with team this year. He’s still tinkering and changing later in season than I wish, but glad he’s working at it. Please, more play calling and sets. Yes, it’s Pastner’s fault for giving these players “freedom” to run a principled offense. They got quickly exposed, and TOs aplenty.
Unlike last year, we have no nightly mismatch (Wright) and no in-game mismatch (Alvarado, whose energy and effort could take over games). DeVoe delivers, but teams don’t seem to get out of position with him - he shoots on or sneaks by for baskets, guarded one-on-one, no defender broke down, no help defense sliding over.
Last year’s mismatch creations by Wright and Jose opened up the floor for Ush, DeVoe and Parham. We’re seeing how demanding it is now for DeVoe and Ush to create their mismatches, it’s been a struggle, and led to major droughts.
Coleman is the ONLY 3rd scoring option we have, and that’s my biggest current beef with Pastner, he’s not getting him 5-7 shots a game. He clearly can shoot AND score. He’s OVER 50% on 3s and has shot over 30 this season. Any other coach is creating plays to get him shots. Mike Brey would be featuring this guy on offensive sets. Yes, Deebo is a FR, and adjusting to speed and strength, but get him 20-25 mins every game. Ride his shooting. Take pressure off DeVoe and Ush. Whoever posted crap on “10” about D is a douche. We’re fortunate to have Coleman, he’s eager to stay active on D, moves to help, fights for loose balls and rebounds - the effort is there, the understanding will follow. Give the kid a chance.

slugboy

Staff member
While we're looking at transitions, Gregory's first year had plenty of talent left over from Hewitt. He went 11-20 with this team. Glen Rice went to the NBA. I'm sure that Pastner would at least get this team to the NIT and the bubble of the NCAA.
PlayerClassPosRSCI Top 100Summary
Mfon UdofiaJRG34 (2009)9.9 Pts 3.4 Reb 2.8 Ast
Kammeon HolseySOF78 (2009)9.4 Pts 4.9 Reb 0.9 Ast
Glen RiceJRG91 (2009)13.0 Pts 6.7 Reb 2.3 Ast
Daniel MillerSOC8.1 Pts 6.5 Reb 1.5 Ast
Jason MorrisSOG77 (2010)7.8 Pts 3.3 Reb 1.1 Ast
Brandon ReedSOG7.5 Pts 3.2 Reb 1.2 Ast
Julian RoyalFRF72 (2011)4.4 Pts 2.4 Reb 0.6 Ast
Nick ForemanSRG1.5 Pts 1.2 Reb 0.3 Ast
Pierre JordanSRG1.5 Pts 0.9 Reb 0.9 Ast
Nate HicksSOF1.1 Pts 2.1 Reb 0.1 Ast
Derek CraigSRG1.4 Pts 0.5 Reb 0.4 Ast
McPherson MooreSOG1.2 Pts 0.0 Reb 0.0 Ast
D.J. SpainSOF1.0 Pts 0.5 Reb 0.5 Ast
Aaron PeekFRF0.0 Pts 0.3 Reb 0.0 Ast

Generated 1/6/2022.

Here's Hewitt's last class. He went 13-18 (5-11 in the ACC). Hewitt recruited like gangbusters. Convince me that Pastner and his staff don't do better with this roster than Hewitt. We thought Pastner would be strong recruiter but weak at game day coaching and player development. He's been far stronger with player development than I would ever have guessed. Pastner does a great job as a team builder.

PlayerClassPosRSCI Top 100Summary
Iman ShumpertJRG22 (2008)17.3 Pts 5.9 Reb 3.5 Ast
Glen RiceSOG91 (2009)12.8 Pts 5.6 Reb 2.5 Ast
Brian OliverSOG10.5 Pts 4.5 Reb 1.5 Ast
Mfon UdofiaSOG34 (2009)6.7 Pts 2.1 Reb 1.2 Ast
Maurice MillerSRG87 (2007)6.0 Pts 2.2 Reb 2.4 Ast
Jason MorrisFRG77 (2010)6.0 Pts 2.2 Reb 0.4 Ast
Daniel MillerFRC4.4 Pts 5.0 Reb 0.6 Ast
Kammeon HolseyFRF78 (2009)3.4 Pts 2.7 Reb 0.3 Ast
Lance StorrsSRG2.6 Pts 1.8 Reb 1.0 Ast
Nate HicksFRF1.6 Pts 2.1 Reb 0.2 Ast
Nick ForemanJRG0.5 Pts 0.6 Reb 0.3 Ast
Derek CraigSOG0.4 Pts 0.0 Reb 0.0 Ast
McPherson MooreFRG0.4 Pts 0.6 Reb 0.2 Ast
Kyle SpellerFRG0.0 Pts 0.0 Reb 0.0 Ast

Generated 1/6/2022.

Looking at this, I'm convinced that Pastner needs help building up his recruiting, but I'm even more impressed by his player development and team building than I was before.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pastner's issue at GT has always been slow starts to the season. I don't know what it is, even with his experienced teams here at GT, Pastner's teams seem to lose games we should win to start the season. Then once conference season starts, we tend to do well...but the early part of the season does us in when it comes to tournament (NIT and NCAA) resume bids.

There's talent on this team to at least finish in the top 6-8 in the ACC. However, we need to find our footing because now we're 0-3 to start our ACC schedule.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
GT fans have a strange obsession with inherited players. It is the new coach's job to work with the entire team. Paul Johnson and Pastner got more out of the same guys than their predecessors. That is a positive, obviously. That some think that is somehow a knock on them is bizarre.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another thing that I don't understand is people saying Pastner cannot recruit. Some here clearly have never tried selling a poor product.

Yes, we all love GT and agree that there are many great things and much tradition, but kids today don't remember any of that.

Pastner inherited such a ****ty situation and was able to put together enough talent to win. He finally saw it payoff with a strong class last year.

Some are still confused about this year. There's only two spots so we are being overly selective and will probably use both on the portal.

I'm not sure why anyone would think our recruiting is down this year. We're following the plan that has been clearly presented.