Fire CJP

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Damn this is serious post 😳

This isn’t his best effort but last year gets him a legit extension and grace through this year at least. He is a year behind in recruiting so he has work to do this offseason

On another level though we are last in the ACC at 0-2 in large part because we played UNC and Duke. Frustrated as I am at the moment, not ready to call this team last in ACC
Ga Southern is our best win so far this year and they’re 206 in NET rankings.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t seem that way based on most/all of your posts here.
I was a big fan of his last year after getting over the Bell fiasco. However it’s been a very poor job by him since the end of last year in terms of building a roster. He got a nice break with Usher returning and the team is still mediocre at best. Going into the season with this front court just can’t happen.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
Damn this is serious post 😳

This isn’t his best effort but last year gets him a legit extension and grace through this year at least. He is a year behind in recruiting so he has work to do this offseason

On another level though we are last in the ACC at 0-2 in large part because we played UNC and Duke. Frustrated as I am at the moment, not ready to call this team last in ACC
We are actually 0-3 on the acc

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We lost the ACC POY, ACC DPOY, and are playing new guys in the 1, 3 and 5 spots.

For those calling for CJP to go..
angry zach galifianakis GIF

The disparity in fouls and calls was apparent and we had a chance to win the game with 5 minutes to go. Coaching could improve but it’s not fireable. Chill out my friends.

We have got to start winning game, no argument here, but the season is early and we are still working Bubba back into shape. Either he can contribute soon (next 3-4 games) or we will start giving his minutes back to Smith.

We do need to figure out the PG role. That’s causing me some concern and I’d like to see us move out of trying to use the 5 as a distributor, but our coaching staff is fine and we just need time to figure it out.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The biggest issue with GT basketball since he’s been here has been a lack of talent 1-5. That factor is all but guaranteed to get worse next year given he’s going to lose Devoe and Usher, and doesn’t have a single player committed in the 2022 class.

I think having these “fire whatever coach” threads is stupid, but if JP doesn’t hit the portal hard in the off-season or turn miracles with Coleman, Smith, and Saba, he’s looking at a 10 win year next year. If he hadn’t actually turned around his tendency to lose to severely overmatched teams this year really would be bleak.

Tech used to put a guy in the draft every year, and every team that had success had at least 1 draft pick in every 4 year generation of players. We’ve had 3 guys drafted since 2011, and none of them are Pastner recruits. Devoe is the only current hope. For reference from 2001-2010 there were 7 draft picks and 5 tournament appearances. From 1991-2000 there were 11 draft picks and 4 tournament appearances.

I mean, the problem here isn’t really that hard to spot. If Pastner could recruit he’d be a top coach in the country

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
If Devoe had any sort of measurable vertical jump he would be maybe the best player in the country and could average close to 30 a night. That is all.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pastner isn't the problem some think he is. This was always going to be a tough season given what we lost, and the inexperience and youth. Covid running through our team didn't help.

Collins is 100% on Stansbury (and the big donors who pushed hard for him). That's a discussion for the other forum though.
We got nothing right now from our bigs. I couldn't believe a 7 footer was dribbling the ball at the head of the circle. Of course he got it stolen. We are in need of inside scoring from that position. Devoe put the team on his back in the second half. Several fouls not called on Duke with Ush taking it to the basket. I was hoping to see Coleman have a good game. Parham showed how much his layoff hurt his shooting. Duke feasted at the foul line in the first half but started missing in the second. They sure got to the line a lot. Typical. Neither team looked very good tonight. Probably due to COVID protocols. Coach K was complaining that they just had one practice in the last 4 days. Weren't even allowed individual practices while in quarantine. We probably had similar experience with our guys. They really enforce the mask rule in Cameron.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let’s remember that we were hit hard by “flu-like symptoms” just before one of our hardest stretches of the year, and injuries shortly after.
Not to mention that we just won the ACC championship and had back to back winning conference seasons for the first time in like 25 years. Sure - let’s fire him before we let this continue!

This season is disappointing and doesn’t really look like it’s going to produce much in the way of wins. We need more out of the 5 spot, as I truly think that’s the root of our issues. We miss way too many shots down low that should be gimmes. PG play is spotty, but it’s been good enough to win more than we have.

Right now I wouldn’t be surprised if the staff hit the portal for a big after the season.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Paster really much of an upgrade over Gregory?

2011-12 11-20 overall 4-12 conference Played all home games in gwinnett center
2012-13 16-15 6-12
2013-14 16-17 6-12
2014-15 12-19 3-15
2015-16 21-15 8-10 NIT
78-86 27-61

Recruits drafted by NBA = 1

Major accomplishment: got us out of APR trouble left by Hewitt.

2016-17 21-16 8-10 Gregory’s players
2017-18 13-19 6-12
2018-19 14-18 6-12
2019-20 17-14 11-9 Banned from postseason
2020-21 17-9 11-6 NCAA
2021-22 6-7 0-3
88-82 42-52

Recruits drafted by NBA = 0

Major accomplishment: won ACC championship in COVID shortened tournament.

I see two bad coaches in a row. The only difference is one was much better at self-preservation with the “this is a major rebuild” and “wait until we get old and stay old” slogans.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If y'all are happy with bottom dwellers yes keep him, he won the acc tournament on some luck with covid, but we are watching his ceiling.
The season hasn't gone as well as we hoped, but the team plays hard and the young players will improve. IMHO Pastner is far from his ceiling. If you are looking for a coach to fire, the football board is certainly greener pastures.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Is Paster really much of an upgrade over Gregory?

Yes. 47.6% winning for gregory vs 51.8% for pastner. 30.7% in conference for gregory vs 44.7% for pastner and pastner inherited a much worse roster.

And the only accomplishment you have listed for gregory is a non basketball one that isnt really his own accomplishment if you understand how the APR is calculated.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I guess Josh forgot how to coach since last year. We have had the flu and then COVID. We have been competitive against top 25 competition. We lack a post presence and a elite point guard. Last year, we were elite at both positions. No one on this team has been the "go to" guy for endgame situations before this season. Endgame is our major problem and that is up to the coach. Blame him for miscalculating the ability of the current roster to assume the post and point guard positions and who can manage endgame situations, but to say he cannot coach is an utter display of ignorance.