Fire CJP + State of the Program

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Wright is getting way too much playing time, he is spending way too much time on the perimeter, he is handling the ball way too much, and he is taking way too many shots. He should be getting 7-8 minutes a game max and there is no way he should be starting. The coaches are using him all wrong. He can maybe develop into a decent role player that provides defensive presence around the rim and focuses on rebounding and scoring off put backs. He should be absolutely forbidden to shoot another 3 ever. He will never be a shooter or an attacking scorer, and when he puts the ball on the floor I want to look away from the train wreck that is about to happen.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
To be fair to Banks, at least he is producing consistently.
I was in the same boat as Peac and wanted him to sit out, but he has shown he is ready and I don't even want to imagine what our record would be right now without him.

The only glaring weakness I see is Banks needs to get stronger with the ball and not bring it down on offensive rebounds for guards to swipe at. Almost everything else has been very productive for us.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The only glaring weakness I see is Banks needs to get stronger with the ball and not bring it down on offensive rebounds for guards to swipe at.

This drives me nuts. Dude is built like a brick house but he can't hold on to the ball in traffic. His points, rebounds, and shot blocking have been huge though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Every player on our team is playing as well as scouts would've predicted, imo.

CJP might yet pull it out as he has never done before.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Other than going 0-11 on 3pt shots in the second half, I guess we looked FINE OFFENSIVELY. My Azz.
LOL, Total transparency, I watched the first half on replay and skipped along through the second half because I couldn't watch the defensive effort. That being said, I still think we looked fine offensively, regardless of our shooting woes from outside. I'm not concerned about this game because of the circumstances around it. If this continues, I'll have a different opinion. (and no one cares about your Azz).

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Ugly. Just ugly.

As long as we keep playing like we don't care I'm gonna keep giving first shot at my free time to the women's team that does.

Beat the sack sloberers though and all is forgiven.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I was in the same boat as Peac and wanted him to sit out, but he has shown he is ready and I don't even want to imagine what our record would be right now without him.

The only glaring weakness I see is Banks needs to get stronger with the ball and not bring it down on offensive rebounds for guards to swipe at. Almost everything else has been very productive for us.
Woah woah woah are you saying Banks is even an average defender? The tallest guy who got minutes for GW was 6’6. He is avg 11 a game and dropped 20 on us...

crut

Helluva Engineer
I'll start judging Pastner next year. And I haven't said this before so there's no "We keep saying next year is when we will be better" narrative.

Year 1 he had VERY little talent and the team over-performed.
Year 2 he still had VERY little talent and the team performed around as expected.
Year 3 he's now recruited more talent, but our best player left and we are super young without any ELITE talent.
Year 4 we will have more talent and not be super young. This is when it is fair to start judging, is it not?

GT11

GT Athlete
I'll start judging Pastner next year. And I haven't said this before so there's no "We keep saying next year is when we will be better" narrative.

Year 2 he still had VERY little talent and the team performed around as expected.
Year 3 he's now recruited more talent, but our best player left and we are super young without any ELITE talent.
Year 4 we will have more talent and not be super young. This is when it is fair to start judging, is it not?
You are correct

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer

That's why I think Josh could be gone after the 2020-2021 season if GT is still in rough shape;)

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The we are a young team excuse could be a valid one..if they were actually on the floor. AD, Alston, Shembari, and Banks are all upperclassmen getting quality minutes.

AD played 4 minutes in the last game. Phillips played 1.

Why Alston is playing all game is a mystery for the ages.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

By the realities of his contract - and the expectations agreed with the then AD - Year 4 is when it is fair/reasonable/expected/makes any difference to start judging him. Although I do recognize that many are already judging him based on the attendance numbers for these OOC games.

Until then I expect some more of these really bad oh gradu games combined with what I hope are some solid wins (nice if they started the next 2 games). But with the talent we have right now I don't expect to get past middling of the ACC - unless there is a really major jump by Devoe or Haywood next year.

Striking out this recruiting period is a huge deal. Yea there are players who are or will become available that can help make up the difference - and I am not one who is averse to signing grad transfers, one and dones, transfers or whatever - but we have a real pattern of signing projects over players and that has to change if we are going to move up the food chain. This much more than an abysmal loss to GW will likely be the ultimate downfall of CJP which is strange given his rep as a recruiter coming in.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The more I watch guys like Wade, Beard, Keats, and to a lesser extent Drew produce, the more CJP pisses me off. Can't believe we screwed this up so much. We could have taken a chance on a mid major guy with high upside (no Gregory didn't have high upside) and I would've been much happier with it. Instead we took a guy that was being forced out, and it shows. Sickening to me. I understand football having struggles, but we should be able to land 1-2 higher end guys in basketball every class and build a program. Inexcusable that we are losing games like GW.