Finch and Godhigh talk about Justin Thomas

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Good article, Eric. Thanks.

While I hate to see an athlete of Vad's potential leave early, it couldn't have happened at a more fortified position. Whatever people want to say about our recruiting, rarely have I seen more depth of talent at Tech than we presently have at QB...especially if we count the other players who can play the QB position if necessary.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Thomas needs to make one major change in his outlook on offensive football - he needs to realize that the game is played with a football, not a loaf of bread.

That said, I am his biggest fan.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Thomas needs to make one major change in his outlook on offensive football - he needs to realize that the game is played with a football, not a loaf of bread.

That said, I am his biggest fan.

Raymond Gross was the same way at Georgia Southern. Won two national titles, played for a third. Best option QB, in terms of reading and executing it, this side of Jamelle Holieway at Oklahoma. And they used to say in the huddle with Tracy Ham, in fact, the first words said before every play were, "Tracy, don't drop the ball!"

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
There is little doubt that the offense should do better with Thomas because of his instincts for this type of football. There should not be as much hesitation in the QB's decisions. However, this does not guarantee we will be better unless we fix other problems. It was apparent to me that there was division on the team because of the QB situation. There may have been other situations that caused unrest on the team. These items must also be cleared up or we will see the same inept play we saw at times this past year.

With the rumors of some players looking to transfer because of the lack of playing time, either the coaches must resolve this issue or the unhappy players should leave. Divisions in the team will not produce a winning season.

The teams we play do not look to be an overwhelming obstacles to a good season. All the obstacles appear to be homemade. I am ready for the Spring Practice to see if the coaching staff and team comes together with the right attitude. Days seems to have a great attitude, but it will take the entire team with this attitude.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Raymond Gross was the same way at Georgia Southern. Won two national titles, played for a third. Best option QB, in terms of reading and executing it, this side of Jamelle Holieway at Oklahoma. And they used to say in the huddle with Tracy Ham, in fact, the first words said before every play were, "Tracy, don't drop the ball!"
Well Ole Tracy must have gotten the message.....since he did well at Southern and the Canadian league.Sorry remember Tracy but not Raymond.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember the same things being said about Vad by other players on the team.

At this point being a GT fan, I'm taking wait and see approach.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I expect some bumps in the road. Think Thomas has a very high ceiling though and really looking forward to seeing him under center more. I imagine he will get the majority of reps in spring and pre season fall to get the reads down. My main concern is D line rather than QB next year. We will move the ball and score against most. We might have as much athleticism at the QB, BB, and AB spots as we did in 08/09. That's saying something.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the picture illustrates the problem. This is what Coach is harping about when he says "ball security".

I expect priority #1 for JT in the spring is going to be tucking in the ball when he runs and having two hands on the ball when he moves down the line to the pitch.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
There is little doubt that the offense should do better with Thomas because of his instincts for this type of football. There should not be as much hesitation in the QB's decisions. However, this does not guarantee we will be better unless we fix other problems. It was apparent to me that there was division on the team because of the QB situation. There may have been other situations that caused unrest on the team. These items must also be cleared up or we will see the same inept play we saw at times this past year.

With the rumors of some players looking to transfer because of the lack of playing time, either the coaches must resolve this issue or the unhappy players should leave. Divisions in the team will not produce a winning season.

The teams we play do not look to be an overwhelming obstacles to a good season. All the obstacles appear to be homemade. I am ready for the Spring Practice to see if the coaching staff and team comes together with the right attitude. Days seems to have a great attitude, but it will take the entire team with this attitude.

If Vad was truely interested in learning the option, he would get better each year. JT will have growing pains but I think he's more committed to PJ's system. He'll do well, like TW but with more athleticism!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember the same things being said about Vad by other players on the team.

At this point being a GT fan, I'm taking wait and see approach.

Those things about Vad were true! The guy was and is a talented athlete. Just didn't work out.
Agree about "wait and see" but nothing wrong with getting excited about JT. Just look at FSU after EJ Manuel went to the NFL and some freshman named Jameis took over. Anything can happen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Those things about Vad were true! The guy was and is a talented athlete. Just didn't work out.
Agree about "wait and see" but nothing wrong with getting excited about JT. Just look at FSU after EJ Manuel went to the NFL and some freshman named Jameis took over. Anything can happen.

Yup.

I will say this about Jameis Winston. That dude showed against FSU' 1st team D that he was special during the spring.

JT showed flashes here and there, and against our second/third team D. When he played against our 1st team, he didn't shine as much. When he played againt our tougher opponents and got extensive time (BYU and Miami) he showed some here and there, but nothing spectacular.

Hopefully getting more reps now and just experience in game situations will finally let him play full speed without thinking. I definitely think JT has "Oh sh1t" ability making defenders look foolish.