Finally, a non-profit GT collective: Introducing Jackets for ATLanthropy

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Swarm members,

It's my pleasure to announce the launch of a NIL collective site supported by GT fans called Jackets for ATLanthropy (www.jacketsforatlanthropy.com). This is neither the Swarm the ATL site that has been discussed on this board nor a competitor of that site, but rather it is designed to complement Swarm the ATL and other GT-focused NIL initiatives. Jackets for ATLanthropy will offer GT student-athletes NIL opportunities while supporting Atlanta-based charities.

I have met with charity representatives and sought advice from individuals including attorneys in the NIL space to ensure that we are NCAA compliant.

I realize the name might be a little cheezy, but by coining the term, atlanthropy, the site is able to achieve good search engine optimization, and as a result, you don't have to remember the full website name. For example, it shows up near the top of the first page just by Google searching, 'atlanthropy'.

Jackets for ATLanthropy is unique in its design. Unlike some non-profit collectives, we did not opt to pursue 501c3 status due to multiple drawbacks including legal and tax risks as well as concerns regarding the sustainability of 501c3 status over time. Instead, we have opened a donor-advised fund, also known as a giving fund, which is housed by a well-established 501c3 organization headquartered in the Atlanta area. This will allow fans to make tax-deductible donations with ease (a receipt is emailed immediately after any donation is placed) and provides assurance that your donations are unable to be skimmed by ulteriorly-motivated individuals.

The basic premise is that GT student-athletes will be compensated through NIL by taking part in a charity project or fundraiser. Participating charities will pay the student-athletes like they would a guest speaker or other celebrity for appearing at events, fundraisers, and performing NIL-type activities such as autograph signings and social media promotion. The primary purpose of the athlete's presence at a charity event is to bolster the attendance at the event. I mean, who wouldn't want to serve in a soup kitchen alongside one of your favorite Georgia Tech athletes? Jackets for ATLanthropy will contribute funds (GT fan donations) to the charity that will cover the cost of the student-athlete NIL compensation. Student-athlete compensation will be negotiated between the charity and the student-athlete with oversight from Jackets for ATLanthropy to ensure NCAA compliance. Please see the website for details.

I would love to get your feedback, criticisms, critiques, etc. about the site so that I can edit it to improve clarity. Before you ask any questions, though, please review the FAQ page because your answer may lie there.

The next steps are to continue meeting with the multiple Atlanta-based charities who are interested in collaborating with us and select GT student-athletes for the first event scheduled on June 25th which is a meal-packing project with a charity called Hope Atlanta. This will tentatively include multiple athletes from the football team and likely one other sport as well. We need volunteers for this event and other subsequent events listed on the website. So, please consider signing up. Please also consider making a financial contribution and spreading the word on social media.

The launch of Swarm the ATL is also anticipated soon which will present an excellent opportunity for NIL contributions in exchange for unique access to athletes and fun events. I will be contributing financially to both Jackets for ATLanthropy and Swarm the ATL and encourage your involvement with these initiatives so we can attack this NIL stuff from multiple angles. "We're at Georgia Tech. We can do that. We are doing that!!!" Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Swarm members,

It's my pleasure to announce the launch of a NIL collective site supported by GT fans called Jackets for ATLanthropy (www.jacketsforatlanthropy.com). This is neither the Swarm the ATL site that has been discussed on this board nor a competitor of that site, but rather it is designed to complement Swarm the ATL and other GT-focused NIL initiatives. Jackets for ATLanthropy will offer GT student-athletes NIL opportunities while supporting Atlanta-based charities.

I have met with charity representatives and sought advice from individuals including attorneys in the NIL space to ensure that we are NCAA compliant.

I realize the name might be a little cheezy, but by coining the term, atlanthropy, the site is able to achieve good search engine optimization, and as a result, you don't have to remember the full website name. For example, it shows up near the top of the first page just by Google searching, 'atlanthropy'.

Jackets for ATLanthropy is unique in its design. Unlike some non-profit collectives, we did not opt to pursue 501c3 status due to multiple drawbacks including legal and tax risks as well as concerns regarding the sustainability of 501c3 status over time. Instead, we have opened a donor-advised fund, also known as a giving fund, which is housed by a well-established 501c3 organization headquartered in the Atlanta area. This will allow fans to make tax-deductible donations with ease (a receipt is emailed immediately after any donation is placed) and provides assurance that your donations are unable to be skimmed by ulteriorly-motivated individuals.

The basic premise is that GT student-athletes will be compensated through NIL by taking part in a charity project or fundraiser. Participating charities will pay the student-athletes like they would a guest speaker or other celebrity for appearing at events, fundraisers, and performing NIL-type activities such as autograph signings and social media promotion. The primary purpose of the athlete's presence at a charity event is to bolster the attendance at the event. I mean, who wouldn't want to serve in a soup kitchen alongside one of your favorite Georgia Tech athletes? Jackets for ATLanthropy will contribute funds (GT fan donations) to the charity that will cover the cost of the student-athlete NIL compensation. Student-athlete compensation will be negotiated between the charity and the student-athlete with oversight from Jackets for ATLanthropy to ensure NCAA compliance. Please see the website for details.

I would love to get your feedback, criticisms, critiques, etc. about the site so that I can edit it to improve clarity. Before you ask any questions, though, please review the FAQ page because your answer may lie there.

The next steps are to continue meeting with the multiple Atlanta-based charities who are interested in collaborating with us and select GT student-athletes for the first event scheduled on June 25th which is a meal-packing project with a charity called Hope Atlanta. This will tentatively include multiple athletes from the football team and likely one other sport as well. We need volunteers for this event and other subsequent events listed on the website. So, please consider signing up. Please also consider making a financial contribution and spreading the word on social media.

The launch of Swarm the ATL is also anticipated soon which will present an excellent opportunity for NIL contributions in exchange for unique access to athletes and fun events. I will be contributing financially to both Jackets for ATLanthropy and Swarm the ATL and encourage your involvement with these initiatives so we can attack this NIL stuff from multiple angles. "We're at Georgia Tech. We can do that. We are doing that!!!" Go Jackets!
These are the types of activities I believe were originally intended with the NIL legislation (coupled with social media stuff, like influencers). This will generate pocket change and such for regular student-athletes, and I laud your efforts.

This won't even cause a ripple in the big player pond, in my opinion. That's pay-for-play and the numbers are a couple of decades apart in what would be paid to the SA.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We'll see if anything comes out of this.

I am quite sure we will see a flurry of activity on the part of the NCAA - committees will be formed, meetings scheduled, ground rules for meeting behaviors established, brainstorming activities conducted, resorts visited to pick future meeting facilities and a welcoming cocktail party and golf tournament for committee members where T-shirts and polos printed with the committee's mission statement will be distributed. It will be grueling and people who lean towards action over speeches should avoid this task and assignment at all costs.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I am quite sure we will see a flurry of activity on the part of the NCAA - committees will be formed, meetings scheduled, ground rules for meeting behaviors established, brainstorming activities conducted, resorts visited to pick future meeting facilities and a welcoming cocktail party and golf tournament for committee members where T-shirts and polos printed with the committee's mission statement will be distributed. It will be grueling and people who lean towards action over speeches should avoid this task and assignment at all costs.

Don't forget the inevitable end result - Missouri and Georgia Tech will receive harsh penalties.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Episode 4 Luke GIF by Star Wars

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Are y’all going to have a Twitter to follow and stuff? This is awesome btw
Thanks! Hopefully so. We could use a volunteer to help with social media marketing stuff like that. Would probably not require much time investment. Let me know if you know someone who might be interested!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
And the NCAA will get to hire a lot more bureaucrats/agents etc and become a monster totally !@#$%^ organization over what it is today. The top brass at NCAA have to be feeling their wallets getting fatter already.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I just wanted to send out an update about the Jackets for Atlanthropy initiative:

Things are moving along well albeit slower than I would’ve hoped. There are simply so many people involved with a project like this - both directly and indirectly - that it does take some time for the process to move along through phone calls, zoom meetings, communication over email, etc. We’ve been very fortunate to have such a large number of individuals willing to devote their time and effort to this work.

Because of some of some logistical issues we needed to change our first charity meal pack event originally planned for 6/25 to a similar meal packing event to occur at a charity called Open Hand in Atlanta on 7/18. We will have two football players attending this event with names to be announced in the next 1 to 2 weeks. We’ll have a similar event the following week at Open Hand. I’ll be looking for volunteers to join the athletes in this work, and I’ll send out another update once we announce which athletes will be participating.

We have an additional soup kitchen event with St. Francis Table scheduled for 8/6 and are working closely with other non-profits including the Metro Atlanta YMCA to arrange future activities.

Additionally, the announcement of our initial board of directors has been delayed slightly, but will hopefully be in the next 1 to 2 weeks as well. I’m very excited about this and looking forward to making that announcement as soon as we are able to do so.

Lastly, an industrial designer and Tech grad has volunteered to help with graphic/logo design. The preliminary design looks greatand I’m looking forward to sharing that soon as well. Thanks again for all your support and go Jackets!