Final 2014 Season Predictions

Yeah I rewatched some of the '13 Clemson game (it's on youtube if anybodys interested). Their DL definitely played well - Jarrett (NT) and Beasley (DE) (both returning) are two of ther better linemen in the country. They also were cheating their DBs in for the run on the 1st for possessions. We didn't adjjust to that until the last 2 series in the 1st half when we started hitting some quick-outs to WRs and Godhigh in the seams - marched about 140 yards on those last two drives of the half - but we had already given up 27 on D. They also benifted from so timely throws by Boyd - he hit a 50 yard pass on 3rd and 18 in the 1st quarter and a 76 yard TD on 2nd and long as well. They were the better team, but there were a couple plays in that game that we could have made to make it a fight.

Another thing that stood out when rewatching was how slow Vad was running the option. He can move in the open field, but it looked so labored everytime he came out of the mesh. And he would always string plays out rather than hit the pitch early - granted there probably weren't many holes he missed the way Clemson was on top of the run. We lose a lot of "falling forward" yards with JT, but it will be refreshing to see somebody with quickness under center forcing defenses to react quicker.
He also just sat down on the field once when he went outside and saw a Clemson defender barreling down on him. I hold him no ill will, but he just was not an option QB.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
GT finishes 9-3 w/ victories over Clemson & UGA. UGA finishes 6-6 & fires Mark Richt. Tennesee recieves sanctions for their recruiting shenanigans. Saban leaves Bama to coach the NFL's London Jaguars.

GT capitalizes on our good season, recruiting momentum, and turmoil amongst the SEC carpetbaggers by convinving GA's top talent (Trent Thompson, Abernathy, and Tery Godwin) to play college ball in the Capital of the South.

Oh, and there will be a consensus 100 years peace agreement between all parties in the Middle East, the US & Russian governments will work together to promote green energy worldwide, & Comcast will delieverer reliable service & internet speeds close to what's advertised. 2014 is shaping up to be the first good year this millennium!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
GT finishes 9-3 w/ victories over Clemson & UGA. UGA finishes 6-6 & fires Mark Richt. Tennesee recieves sanctions for their recruiting shenanigans. Saban leaves Bama to coach the NFL's London Jaguars.

GT capitalizes on our good season, recruiting momentum, and turmoil amongst the SEC carpetbaggers by convinving GA's top talent (Trent Thompson, Abernathy, and Tery Godwin) to play college ball in the Capital of the South.

Oh, and there will be a consensus 100 years peace agreement between all parties in the Middle East, the US & Russian governments will work together to promote green energy worldwide, & Comcast will delieverer reliable service & internet speeds close to what's advertised. 2014 is shaping up to be the first good year this millennium!

LOL. I was with you till Comcast. That's crazy.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
7-5 lack of defensive depth catches up to us late in the season.

If we had defensive depth i would say 9 wins. It will cost us 2 games.

11-1. I think Climpsumb gets us.

I don't see u(sic)ga as being all that talented on defense. They're gonna need it all, and I don't think they have it. Gonna have to outscore them, but that's possible. Reminds me of 2008 matchup-wise.

Take a beating in the ACC title game IF it's FSU. If it's Clem's Son, I think we avenge the regular season loss...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Alright here we go.

Aug. 30 WOFFORD- W
Sept. 6 at Tulane- W
Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN- W
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech– W (I actually think both teams play better than past years in this game but we’ll pull it out)
Sept. 27 OPEN
Oct. 4 MIAMI– L (We’ll focus on Duke Johnson too much and their WR’s will have a field day)
Oct. 11 DUKE– W (They’re well coached but so are we are they don’t have the talent to stop us)
Oct. 18 at North Carolina– W (Give me a break)
Oct. 25 at Pitt– W (They suck)
Nov. 1 VIRGINIA– W (I actually think they’ll be better this year)
Nov. 8 at NC State– L (Better team than people think and I think this is the game we don’t show up to)
Nov. 15 CLEMSON– L (If we win it will be because of our D. We won’t move the ball well against them and we would need an AB to be a threat in the passing game)
Nov. 22 OPEN
Nov. 29 at Georgia – W (It’ll be a cold day in hell before I predict UGA to beat us)

ACCCG – L (To Clemson who I think redeems themselves against FSU)

Bowl – L (You mean these aren’t just vacations?)

9-5 but a better season than our record will show due to post season games.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If we could somehow get past VT and Miami, and the guys stay focused we should be heavy favorites until Clemson maybe even then. Who knows what could happen in those first 10 games with us or any of our opponents. Gurley could have a season ending injury from being overworked. Jameis could be out for something? Then we could very well make it in the playoff!! Being optimistic, but you gotta believe. Seriously if we start 5-0 we should be behind our guys to go undefeated

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I like our regular season schedule this year. Its highly favorable. No reason we can't shock the nation and go undefeated for the regular season.

Once upon a time, my brother asked me how Tech would do for the season. My reply was almost exactly the same as what IronJacket7 just wrote. My brother—who earned an MS in Athens (...musta ben hard, cuz in grajerate skool they had ta count on there fingers AND toes…)—laughed and mocked me for being unrealistically optimistic.

The year was 1990.

That being said, I am not so optimistic this time around. VT and Miami will test us sorely (I think we have the edge against the former, not so much against the latter), we could stumble at some point in the whole Duke-UNC-Pitt-UVA-NCSU sequence (even though I think we're better than all these teams), and as always Clemson and the Athens Junior Academy of Family Development & Animal Husbandry will be uphill battles.

If we stay healthy and don't have to start fishing for warm bodies to fill key positions (2013, I'm talking' to you), I see us at 9-3, with losses to Miami, Clemson, and <serkis><extra_spittle>gollum</extra_spittle></serkis>. If we get a little beat-up I see us at 8-4, with an additional loss in the middle of the conference stretch—most likely by UNC getting the monkey off its back. If things go really wrong we'll still win seven. I don't see us 6-6 at the end of the regular season, by any stretch.

And I soooooo want to be wrong about that dreaded last 'L'. (THWG!)

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, on 5dimes (betting website), GT wins over/under is 7 wins. Under is the favorite. Over paying $125 for a $100 bet.

GTFowler

Georgia Tech Fan
w Aug. 30 WOFFORD
W Sept. 6 at Tulane
W Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN
W Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech
Sept. 27 OPEN
W Oct. 4 MIAMI
W Oct. 11 DUKE
W Oct. 18 at North Carolina
W Oct. 25 at Pitt
W Nov. 1 VIRGINIA
W Nov. 8 at NC State
L Nov. 15 CLEMSON
Nov. 22 OPEN
L Nov. 29 at Georgia

We get routed in the postseason by Atlantic division winner and our bowl opponent to end up being 10-4

Only teams that I accept a loss from besides what I listed would be VT and Miami

This schedule is pretty weak so anything below 8 wins is unacceptable

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
The only games I see in play for us to lose are VT, Clemson and UGA. Love to win 2 of those three in order UGA, VT and CU.

Lose any other would be a major disappointment as we should be favored (except maybe Miami if we lose to VT).

This schedule should get us 10 wins and heading to Charlotte!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Aug. 30 WOFFORD WIN
Sept. 6 at Tulane WIN
Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN WIN
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech LOSS
Sept. 27 OPEN
Oct. 4 MIAMI LOSS
Oct. 11 DUKE WIN
Oct. 18 at North Carolina WIN
Oct. 25 at Pitt WIN
Nov. 1 VIRGINIA WIN
Nov. 8 at NC State WIN
Nov. 15 CLEMSON LOSS
Nov. 22 OPEN
Nov. 29 at Georgia LOSS

8-4 (5-3)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That is EXACTLY as I see it unfolding, unfortunately. And several of these losses have the potential of being embarrassments. It is unrealistic to expect us to be injury-free all season, and we have several positions where even one ding here and there has dire consequences. We are inexperienced and intend (as I read it) on playing true freshmen fairly liberally. Hope I am wrong. Key disclaimer: if we can get a win in Blacksburg it might be the spark we need for the rest of the year.

I'm taking the first part of your disclaimer and interpreting the consequence a different way. If we can get a win in Blacksburg then it's evidence that we're capable of beating most, if not every, team on our schedule. And I won't be surprised if we beat them either.

I really don't know what to expect this year - I can find reason to believe the predictions from 5-7 all the way on up. Attrition for our opponents plays as big of a role in my uncertainty as any GT-related happenings.

GTFLETCH

Banned
9-3 Reagular Season, we lose to FSU in ACC Title game, but win our Bowl game for a 10-4 record

Aug. 30 WOFFORD - W
Sept. 6 at Tulane - W
Sept. 13 GEORGIA SOUTHERN - W
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech - W
Oct. 4 MIAMI - W
Oct. 11 DUKE - W
Oct. 18 at North Carolina - L
Oct. 25 at Pitt - W
Nov. 1 VIRGINIA - W
Nov. 8 at NC State - W
Nov. 15 CLEMSON - L
Nov. 29 at Georgia - L