Film Study -Offense vs Wofford

Milwaukee

Banned
Great writeup. After watching the replay a couple times today, I thought the OL pass protection was PHENOMENAL. That was the biggest shock to me, along with JT's throws. As op mentioned, he had 3 in a row in the 1st half he'd like to have back, but after that he made some D1 throws. The zip on the ball and the placement had me scratching my head (in a good way). I just wasn't expecting him to look that good throwing the football to be honest. He was lights out in the passing game overall.

And kudos to the OL pass protection. There was a pocket forming on every pass play, and JT found it.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
JT certainly had too many misreads and there will be many more this year, but I loved his decisiveness. Instead of looking for a safe place to fall avoiding contact, he tried to maximize his yardage. Even more I love that he is only a first game soph. Hard not to get excited about his upside. With more experience he can become exceptional.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
@Boomergump can you do slow motion on your DVR by pausing the video then hitting the fast forward key a few times? That's how my DVR works.

Thanks for the write up! I look forward to these.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was hoping we'd get one of the excellent Boomer analyses, and presto! It appeared. And my anxious question on the offense was answered, and in a worry-relieving way. I don't think anyone would disagree when I say that when the B back is getting five yards or more, everything else works better too. I was very high on the G-C-G combo coming in, and it is a quite a relief that that the blocking wasn't the issue.

Now on the defense, maybe you can figure out something that makes me worry less about our middle linebacker.

Boomer, I am gadget challenged. Even things everybody uses befudlle me. Whenever this kinda thing happens, I type the name of the product and a little more into Google. RCA DVR slo mo. There are usually several good written explanations and a couple of videos as well.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I actually think Laskey is pretty nifty in the hole. His whole career I've been pretty impressed with his footwork in traffic, and how he slides left and right while amongst the behemoths.
THIS^^^ It is imperative to be able to get through the trash in order to make some long runs. I read where people think Days should start, even though he cant do this as well. Lets give ZL a couple games to get rolling. Hes waited his turn.. Its his time to shine.

Animal02

Banned
THIS^^^ It is imperative to be able to get through the trash in order to make some long runs. I read where people think Days should start, even though he cant do this as well. Lets give ZL a couple games to get rolling. Hes waited his turn.. Its his time to shine.

I don't even think it is that important for Laskey to make long runs. The threat of pounding out 3-5 yards up the middle will open the outside for the speedsters. CPJ has shown in the past that when we can get a few yards up the middle he will keep pounding away until they start cheating in, and then use that to our advantage.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
If Woff can stop our bback then why couldn't we neutralize their positioning.That is what the TO is supposed to do-take what they give you.Except for the 65 yd accidental "pass" I didn't see much play that really "burned" their Def for the overload.
Somehow I think vt is going to be better.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If Woff can stop our bback then why couldn't we neutralize their positioning.That is what the TO is supposed to do-take what they give you.Except for the 65 yd accidental "pass" I didn't see much play that really "burned" their Def for the overload.

We had 500+ yards of offense and averaged 9 yds/play. To me that's burning the defense for the overload.

I agree VT will probably be better.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow

Except that's what we did - with the passing game. Passing is not banned in an option offense. Go watch the tape, it's pretty easy to see.

If you want to prognosticate doom and gloom, be my guest. But your reasons for the prognostication are incorrect.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin "The Gambler" Thomas lives...that play scared the crap out of me. Never ever seen the pitch..just looked and seen Snoddy flying.

reminded me of southern's raymond gross or greg hill. they used to pull those "oh sh!+" pitches outta thin air as well. i love it! playmakers are in there to do just that--make plays. good on justin!

as boomer mentioned, nice to see justin taking to the option like a duck to water and no more BS'ing around.

i anxiously await september 13 when the eagles head north.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Game ball to Boomer for the analysis! Lookin' forward to his defensive takes.

The more I think about JT & the offense, the better I feel. Those passing stats + one fumble/none lost = what more could we have reasonably asked for? Granted Justin made several bad reads, but it was his first full game as the starter. What I thought might be a pretty dreary season now offers one major point of interest - watching JT's development.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Game ball to Boomer for the analysis! Lookin' forward to his defensive takes.

The more I think about JT & the offense, the better I feel. Those passing stats + one fumble/none lost = what more could we have reasonably asked for? Granted Justin made several bad reads, but it was his first full game as the starter. What I thought might be a pretty dreary season now offers one major point of interest - watching JT's development.

i'm interested in seeing the JT/smelter pass connection heat up through the season.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts:
1. I thought JT looked pretty good. I had heard from the coaches that he had a good arm but he put more zip on the ball than I expected. AAMOF, my biggest concern (and it's small) with him is that I want to see him put some air under the long ball and let his receiver run to the ball. On all 3 long overthrows on that one drive, he tried to throw a line drive 40 - 50 yards down field. But I'd rather have that problem than have an issue with arm strength. Touch can be taught...velocity cannot.
2. B-backs: I like ZL but he's not a game changer. I really hope Leggett can get his act together very quickly.
3. A-backs: I thought they looked pretty good....especially Bostic. I think he's the only one of the group who will keep up with JT when they run the option to the outside. At one point, he was maintaining pitch relationship 10 - 15 yards downfield and I don't know that many of our A-backs can do that.
4. Defensive line: I thought Rook-Chungong had the best game of the bunch. But man I do think we should be worried about pass rush. I think we're going to have to bring the house a lot when we face passing teams because I don't think the front guys are going to get pressure.
5. Secondary: looked decent in run support but I don't think we have a true read on them yet because most teams are going to throw more than Wofford.

Overall: I think the offense has more potential than last year. Smelter has truly progressed and JT's speed and arm are going to mean some big plays this year if he can stay healthy. HOWEVER, I'd be telling a lie if I said I wasn't worried. Despite whatever might be said, Wofford is the weakest of the teams on our schedule this year. And that's not just my opinion...that opinion is shared by many in the program as well.

My biggest hope is that we simply overlooked them or were over confident or it was just first game jitters....or or or.....or something like that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
4. Defensive line: I thought Rook-Chungong had the best game of the bunch. But man I do think we should be worried about pass rush. I think we're going to have to bring the house a lot when we face passing teams because I don't think the front guys are going to get pressure.

You guys may be correct, but I don't know that we even really tried to generate a pass rush against a team that ran 90% of the time. We'll get a better idea of where we stand with regards to pass rushing next Saturday.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys may be correct, but I don't know that we even really tried to generate a pass rush against a team that ran 90% of the time. We'll get a better idea of where we stand with regards to pass rushing next Saturday.
Agree 100%. Imagine we'll see more of Keshun and blitz packages on a more pass balanced team.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
My thoughts:
1. I thought JT looked pretty good. I had heard from the coaches that he had a good arm but he put more zip on the ball than I expected. AAMOF, my biggest concern (and it's small) with him is that I want to see him put some air under the long ball and let his receiver run to the ball. On all 3 long overthrows on that one drive, he tried to throw a line drive 40 - 50 yards down field. But I'd rather have that problem than have an issue with arm strength. Touch can be taught...velocity cannot.
2. B-backs: I like ZL but he's not a game changer. I really hope Leggett can get his act together very quickly.
3. A-backs: I thought they looked pretty good....especially Bostic. I think he's the only one of the group who will keep up with JT when they run the option to the outside. At one point, he was maintaining pitch relationship 10 - 15 yards downfield and I don't know that many of our A-backs can do that.
5. Secondary: looked decent in run support but I don't think we have a true read on them yet because most teams are going to throw more than Wofford.

Overall: I think the offense has more potential than last year. Smelter has truly progressed and JT's speed and arm are going to mean some big plays this year if he can stay healthy. HOWEVER, I'd be telling a lie if I said I wasn't worried. Despite whatever might be said, Wofford is the weakest of the teams on our schedule this year. And that's not just my opinion...that opinion is shared by many in the program as well.

My biggest hope is that we simply overlooked them or were over confident or it was just first game jitters....or or or.....or something like that.
Your #1 point totally agree. JT looks so much better throwing slants and seams where zip is required. Deep ball with touch needs a little work. Love watching him with the ball in hands, though. Kid can fly.