Film Study - Offense vs Tulane

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cobb, I have a fuzzy recollection of PJ or someone in the know saying last year that the amount of cut blocking we do is overstated. I believe he went on to say the cut blocks are mostly on the interior. The perimeter blocking is whatever the blocker thinks will work.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Cobb, I have a fuzzy recollection of PJ or someone in the know saying last year that the amount of cut blocking we do is overstated. I believe he went on to say the cut blocks are mostly on the interior. The perimeter blocking is whatever the blocker thinks will work.

yes it is at their discretion

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

yes it is at their discretion

Makes sense. Would be hard to predetermine what block to use in those situations.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
What jumped out at me during the replay:
-Chamberlain's missed block on the opening play is what caused the fumble. JT sidestepped the free LB and rolled away. If Chamberlain can occupy the guy it is a big scramble. Oh well.
-Our A back group is going to wear some weaker defensed teams down. Tulane's dbs and linebackers at about 7:30 in the 3rd were done. They didn't want anymore. If PJ doesn't call that pass/JT throws it away, we score again. We were gashing them.
- We have a top 3 AB rotation: Hill/Perk/ Tony Z. As it should be. Perk was laying the wood, and Hill was also very effective setting the edge. Tony Z is our best runner.
Bostic is the 4th right now, but I'm hoping Snoddy or Andrews can unseat him. He is the weak link blocking, and had a toss that Zenon probably would have housed that he took for 6 yards.
-That being said, I'm sure Perk and Hill will tell you that they each had a run where if they break a tackle, it's housed.
-The color guy was hilariously bad. "When Tulane runs this trips formation, they either throw or run every time". As opposed to what.? Perkins changed names 3 times.
-DL got better pressure than I remember live. Our young ends were biting hard on the second drive and not keeping contain. Have to get that cleaned up before ACC play.
-Quay Quay is the man.
-We have to get PJ Davis into the game more. I expect him to have a big day vs. GSU
Edit to add: The BB option play will be money this year. If Byerly pitches it, Laskey scores a long one.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would not call it a missed block... Chamberlain push his defender on the outside of JT and had him engaged the whole time. I wish he could have pushed him all over the field, but I would not call it a missed block.

The play was covered and the blitzer came in untouched. You need a dump off, Laskey to break the route short, or throw the ball away.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
JT was extremely careless with the ball. That is what happened. Did a guy get through? Yes. However, JT pretty much dared him to swat the ball out he was holding it out there so loose.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
JT was extremely careless with the ball. That is what happened. Did a guy get through? Yes. However, JT pretty much dared him to swat the ball out he was holding it out there so loose.
Exactly! Boomer, do you notice JT running to the pitch man's lane? He's getting good yardage but are those bigger plays if he doesn't go as wide and forces the defender to commit?

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
I liked the option with Laskey as the pitch man. Dwyer used to roll on that play.

Quay looked really good on the sideline to sideline pursuit but can he handle the straight ahead power stuff? Wofford tied him up repeatedly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
-The color guy was hilariously bad. "When Tulane runs this trips formation, they either throw or run every time". As opposed to what.? Perkins changed names 3 times.
He actually said that twice during the game. We also have a qb I never heard of, Justin Thompson.

09_the-ocho.jpg

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Hey Boomer, did you break down the Defense this past week from the Tulane game? I can't seem to find it, although I am looking for it from my phone which is usually not the best way to see the site.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hey Boomer, did you break down the Defense this past week from the Tulane game? I can't seem to find it, although I am looking for it from my phone which is usually not the best way to see the site.
Thanks for asking. I only really had enough time to watch about half the game for defense this week and that was yesterday. I have been pretty busy. Now it is Friday and I am wondering if a report still has value to the community with our next game being tomorrow? Please advise.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we all welcome your analysis if you have time. I like reading your notes then re-watching the games with your notes in mind, to further my learning.

Just my opinion.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for asking. I only really had enough time to watch about half the game for defense this week and that was yesterday. I have been pretty busy. Now it is Friday and I am wondering if a report still has value to the community with our next game being tomorrow? Please advise.

I'd say go for it if you got the time. I for one like reading your analyses .

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Dont overly exert yourself and pull a cornea, we need you this week. Lol. But for real... If you have time. We love learning about our team every chance we get. It is much appreciated Boom