Film Study Film Study - Offense vs ND

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Got back today and finally get a chance to get on line... GTSWARM is first REAL stop :)
Will watch at least the 1st Half on DVR later tonight and 2nd half tomorrow.

Going to comment on the game before reading everything, then will see how much I "missed" at the game that you (the GTSWARM community) will verify or give me better informed perspective not always available from the stands.
-seemed that we missed a lot of blocks on the edge
- the ND players were able to slice through the line often enough to disrupt plays, that was exacerbated by the the blocks missed on the edge.
-if we did get a block, too often their LBs and DEs seemed to be able to get up quickly and force the play to be spread out.
-WRs (sometimes the ABs if in a route) seemed to be covered almost by blankets - the ND DB's kicked butt...
- we had the wrong 'cleats' / shoes for the turf. Multiple slips and sometimes apparently there were Leprechauns that reached up from the turf to trip us up.
- this one is regarding or defense on th 91 yd run by Procise, I swear that Jabari Hunt seemed to have been held and pulled to the side giving #20 a lane to break free.

Missed having a jumbotrom to watch "big plays" for verification.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Got back today and finally get a chance to get on line... GTSWARM is first REAL stop :)
Will watch at least the 1st Half on DVR later tonight and 2nd half tomorrow.

Go to The Film Room and spend 20 minutes watching @Longestday 's commentary first and you will be better informed about what to look for when rewatching the game. He does a great job breaking it down.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The dive was there if you ask me. Devine and Burden made holes for it, now Skov could maybe have done more out of it, but rarely was the dive snuffed out for a loss. Can't say the same for the edge.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The dive was there if you ask me. Devine and Burden made holes for it, now Skov could maybe have done more out of it, but rarely was the dive snuffed out for a loss. Can't say the same for the edge.
I thought Skov ran hard, but there were a few plays where it looked like he ran to the wrong side of the block up front. He also ran to the wrong side of the QB once. That is a guaranteed busted play. The guy plays with a lot of effort though. He will figure it out.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I thought Skov ran hard, but there were a few plays where it looked like he ran to the wrong side of the block up front. He also ran to the wrong side of the QB once. That is a guaranteed busted play. The guy plays with a lot of effort though. He will figure it out.

Boomer,
Ijust hope it is not in December when he finally figures it out.Price we pay for a new guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Devine was either plowing a gigantic hole, or they let him run free to the second level. Made me wonder why we didn't run the dive to that side more.

Looked like an easy 3+ yards every time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Devine was either plowing a gigantic hole, or they let him run free to the second level. Made me wonder why we didn't run the dive to that side more.

I thought Devine was really good, at least in a physical sense. I doesn't seem to matter who lines up across from him. There was a poster here (can't remember the thread) lamenting the loss of Mason. Well, I am sure we miss him, in several ways, but Shamire is a special player in his own right. The best part is, he hasn't even scratched the surface.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.....You have to give ND some credit, their #9 and their safeties ran right with our ABs on plays where we released instead of blocked. We didn't get as free as we usually do up the seam.......

It seemed to me that ND basically played a "man to man" D everywhere on the field. Is that an accurate simplification?

They stayed with the ABs and their DL stayed with our OL to prevent them from getting to the second level. They can do that because of the massive talent advantage that they have. Other teams have more weak spots that we can, and will, effectively attack.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It seemed to me that ND basically played a "man to man" D everywhere on the field. Is that an accurate simplification?

They stayed with the ABs and their DL stayed with our OL to prevent them from getting to the second level. They can do that because of the massive talent advantage that they have. Other teams have more weak spots that we can, and will, effectively attack.
That strategy on D should have made pass pro by us super easy. It didn't.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
By my eye, on several plays our pass protection was not bad (even pretty good at times) but JT flew the coop too early. It happens to all QBs, especially if he's been pressed earlier or he feels he can do better things with his feet. The result often looks like poor blocking, even though a pocket was there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I agree, why didn't we take it till they stopped it?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What I saw was that the ND LB's were coming every play at the snap of the ball with no regard or respect for any over the middle pass play.

This is where it's nice to have a TE, quick release pass play at the spot just vacated by the LB's.

I would have liked to see the motion pass play with Searcy vs. Tulane, I think that would have been effective.

I thought our defense played well and it didn't seem like a mismatch to me.

We don't need a TE for this. We throw to abacks. ND crashed down hard quite a bit. A couple plays I remember we tried to burn them throwing to abacks over the top. The smith kid, #9, snuffed them out both times providing blanket coverage on our abacks. I am not aware of another 6'2 235 lbs LB in the country who can replicate that. We almost always win this battle. Huge props to that backer.

I don't care what scheme you run. If you have 2 guys trying to block one....you have probably lost the battle. Missed blocks and assignments were rampant. That may be a preperation problem but it ain't a problem with the scheme.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
As bad as we played we still could've won this game. We left 10 points on the field. The "holding" penalty before half and then missing the FG plus JT losing his mind to start the 3rd qtr with that fumble killed this teams confidence. It was a weird game. The score was close but felt like a beat down but when you really think about it we easily could have won.

How's that for a perspective/perception change???
We were going on the road against a top 10 team, were FAVORED, they played the best game we've seen schemed against this offense pretty much ever, we played like crap, and still only lost by a score...

A year ago, this would have been outside the realm of possibilities.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Pretty much everybody plays man defense against us on the edge. Saturday was no different in that respect. Their guys at safety (and LB) did a REALLY good job of turning and running with our ABs on play action.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By my eye, on several plays our pass protection was not bad (even pretty good at times) but JT flew the coop too early. It happens to all QBs, especially if he's been pressed earlier or he feels he can do better things with his feet. The result often looks like poor blocking, even though a pocket was there.
This. There were pockets prematurely vacated. It happened.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We don't need a TE for this. We throw to abacks. ND crashed down hard quite a bit. A couple plays I remember we tried to burn them throwing to abacks over the top. The smith kid, #9, snuffed them out both times providing blanket coverage on our abacks. I am not aware of another 6'2 235 lbs LB in the country who can replicate that. We almost always win this battle. Huge props to that backer.

I don't care what scheme you run. If you have 2 guys trying to block one....you have probably lost the battle. Missed blocks and assignments were rampant. That may be a preperation problem but it ain't a problem with the scheme.
#9 on defense for them was as much of a physical anomaly as MEGATRON was on offense for us. He can FLY for his size. You are right. Staying with our ABs was no problem for him and that alone represented a major change for our offense to deal with. I encourage you to watch the film. He took a few plays off, but that guy is special.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought #23 Drue Tranquill was a effin' beast up till the point he injured himself celebrating. He was unblockable, and a heat seeking missile. Dude rarely took a bad step, even when he did, he had the speed and quickness to make up for it. That one pass to the endzone he defended on Taquan Marshall was a great display of that.

Probably ND's best player up till he was injured.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought #23 Drue Tranquill was a effin' beast up till the point he injured himself celebrating. He was unblockable, and a heat seeking missile. Dude rarely took a bad step, even when he did, he had the speed and quickness to make up for it. That one pass to the endzone he defended on Taquan Marshall was a great display of that.

Probably ND's best player up till he was injured.
That kid played a GREAT game against us. We could not get him off his feet. He has a lot of tools. I'm sorry he was hurt, especially that way. Can you imagine the self guilt that kid will feel?