Film Study - GT vs UGAg on Defense

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not a fan of the zone coverage except in occasional situations. I often hear fans wanting to recruit a shut-down corner back. This is a farce if the team plays mostly zone coverage. I would like to see us use the man to man coverage most of the time with occasional zones to mix it up and keep the offense guessing. I really think a defense can make an offense run certain plays by setting up the defense prior to their huddle and then switching to the desired setup as the quarterback approaches the line. The more a back has to play man-to-man, the better he becomes at the task. He soon gets the playing knowledge and expertise to hold his man down for most of the game. Also, if he plays his man tighter at the line, it takes the quarterback a little longer for the play to develop giving the defense an extra advantage to get to the quarterback.

Tech seldom plays the man out of the backfield close on obvious pass plays to the back. It seems he always catches the pass and runs for a first down even though it is third and long. I have also noticed that most of the time our defensive backs wait until the runner starts upfield and our defensive back never accellerates toward the ball carrier. The offensive back merely sidesteps our defender for a first down. The defender should always accellerate into the backfield to either intercept the pass or stop the ballcarrier in his tracks. This is called agressive play. Most of the time, our backs choose the passive defensive posture and is ultimately sidestepped by the runner.

True, the runner may sidestep the aggressive defensive back or linebacker, but it makes the runner have to change his direction deeper in his own backfield thus giving other defensive players more time to get to the runner. The aggressive defensive back makes the runner subject to the defense rather than the defense subject to the runner when the defense takes the passive stance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
"Kickoff time: 3:36 pm End of Game: 7:18 Total elapsed time: 3:42
Officials: Referee: Gary Patterson; Umpire: Michael Wooten; Linesman: Joe Griesser;
Line judge: Richard Misner; Back judge: Barry Hendon; Field judge: Chris Brown;
Side judge: Jim Corpora;
Temperature: 55 Wind: E 8 Weather: Partly cloudy"

This is from the Box Score on http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/gtga13.html

Also, I recognized several from previous ACC games. Apparently, this started this year, which would make sense since we went away from split crews in 1989 making last year the "even up" year.
Thanks for the update. I wonder if this means we'll get a more evenly called game in BDS and an even more lopsidedly called game in Sanford now.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is a really tough call and I get that. Can you imagine the weeping and gnashing of teeth around here if we pressed in man and they hit us with double moves over the top for two quick scores to get back in the game? When you are up 3 scores and your offense is moving the ball it seems like playing zone is the right thing to do to most people. We pretty much got what we expected from the defense. They didn't score quickly. We just sputtered some on offense and didn't score much after that. The missed FG was huge. They would have had to convert a 4th and 12 in the RZ on their last drive after the pick if we were up 6 instead of 3. This one hurts. No doubt about it. We have turned games around playing man defense after giving up scores early in zone many times. We are just better at it. Hind sight is always 20/20.
I am hopeful with guys like Step, Twins, and more talent we will be able to play more man. However, if would have done more of it this year it would have been really ugly. See BYU Louis Young...

FSU is so talented that they can play man and send more pressure on the QB. I envy that they have the players to line up however they want...

I am hopeful with guys like Step, Twins, and more talent we will be able to play more man. However, if would have done more of it this year it would have been really ugly. See BYU Louis Young...

FSU is so talented that they can play man and send more pressure on the QB. I envy that they have the players to line up however they want...

I saw the Austin twins, and Qua Searcy in the State Finals at the Dome on GPTV, and to be honest I wasn't impressed with either of the 3 .

They were all very small, typical of CPJ recruits, and they didn't look exceptionally explosive either, they looked like good HS FB players that get schollies to D1-A schools, but not necessarily BCS level schools, they looked like S.Miss or UAB level recruits (I know they have some bigger offers).

If they are able to help it will be 2 years at best and likely 3 years before they can help us beat teams like UGA and Clemson.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw the Austin twins, and Qua Searcy in the State Finals at the Dome on GPTV, and to be honest I wasn't impressed with either of the 3 .

They were all very small, typical of CPJ recruits, and they didn't look exceptionally explosive either, they looked like good HS FB players that get schollies to D1-A schools, but not necessarily BCS level schools, they looked like S.Miss or UAB level recruits (I know they have some bigger offers).

If they are able to help it will be 2 years at best and likely 3 years before they can help us beat teams like UGA and Clemson.

I very much disagree with you on this one. All three of those guys will contribute. All three play fast and hit with authority which (excluding this year) has been hard to find in the secondary after Burnett left. All three camped at GT and were offered immediately as well. The coaches must have liked what they've seen as far a drills go, but again, I'm more excited that these guys lay the wood. Having guys out there that play fast and with passion goes a long way to improving a defense.

I very much disagree with you on this one. All three of those guys will contribute. All three play fast and hit with authority which (excluding this year) has been hard to find in the secondary after Burnett left. All three camped at GT and were offered immediately as well. The coaches must have liked what they've seen as far a drills go, but again, I'm more excited that these guys lay the wood. Having guys out there that play fast and with passion goes a long way to improving a defense.

How many years will it take them to contribute?

They didn't stand out too much vs. class-AA competition from Lovett in the State Finals, and based on that I said that their contributions will come in 2 years as a best case scenario and likely 3 years after they are in the Program.

These aren't Morgan Burnett-type DBs that will be starters from day-1.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I understand it can be easy to come away feeling like that after watching that game. However, those 3 guys are the main reason that their team has been so good. Also, the other team is very good and has some great talent.

The Austin Twins will be playing as freshman even if it is just ST's from what I have heard. They are extremely physical and fast.
I watched them in camp and they shut down many 4 star stud WR's and TE's. Whatever they lack in height their vertical jump is unbelievable. They are able to contest every ball in the air which is why they were able to shut down some of those TE's. These guys are physically ready to cover D1 FBS players right now.

Searcy is more of a FS or SS in my eyes. He doesn't cover as well the twins but he can step up and play the LB role very well. Very explosive guy.

All three are dynamic on offense but they will probably play defense.

FYI: every coach and scout I have talked to has raved about these guys. Especially the twins! Many think they have NFL potential with their shorter frames because how athletic they are...Many other DB's in the NFL are the same height or shorter.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

They didn't stand out too much vs. class-AA competition from Lovett in the State Finals, and based on that I said that their contributions will come in 2 years as a best case scenario and likely 3 years after they are in the Program.

Have you watched any camp film against studs like Josh Malone,Nate Brown, Terry Goodwin, and many others? Also, is that the only game you have watched of them?

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No one thinks they are Morgan Burnett type guys. But they should play ST's first year and maybe get some snaps freshman year. Second year they will be playing and contributing. At least that is what the coaches are expecting...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Those are 3 good football players.

physical kids who are going to be good players down the line for us.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Even Morgan Burnett was not a day one starter for us...plus there arent Morgan Burnetts sitting around everywhere.

Durham is a guy that could be playing very early on next year.