Film Study Film Study - GT Offense vs BC Defense.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think we're the better team.

That being said, while I tend to agree with you about their 4th dn decision, I understand it. Their D had controlled us. Getting the winning pts when there is hard to pass up.
True, but there was plenty of griping about that decision on the BC board. Given the conditions and the shakiness of their kicker I would have gone for it. Hindsight, of course, is always a ***** when you are the head ball coach.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Counter option BB give, rocket toss BB give, and rocket toss BB pass all have opposite directions of the guard. They normally install more as the year progresses. They had a lot of plays installed for the first game.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
How did that not turn into an all out brawl is my question? I don't know How our guys restrained themselves.

I'm with you. it almost makes me mad that our guys didn't jump that dude

. . . but then again, i guess it's better not to get a 15 yard penalty / ejected / and lose.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Counter option BB give, rocket toss BB give, and rocket toss BB pass all have opposite directions of the guard. They normally install more as the year progresses. They had a lot of plays installed for the first game.
To me the slow developing TO plays were well defended.
Credit coach for taking play calls in his hands and everyone executing.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I was watching the replay posted by GTBob on youtube . . . until I couldn't take AT&T's Google-throttling anymore & gave up.

Here are things I noticed on offense:
  1. Boston College was lining up as tight as possible to the neutral zone on defense. They got called for it at least twice in the first two drives. Our guys were also lining up pretty shallow on the O-line.
  2. Shamire is going to be a good one. This guy should be a 1st round left tackle. The few blocks he missed in the first two series were inconsequential. He also looked like he was playing hard on every play. Good game, big guy.
  3. Someone mentioned BC's odd defensive formations (Boomer?). There was at least one play where there was a double MLB stack. and the deeper MLB was just flying to the ball unblocked. Haven't seen this before. I'm guessing this opened up our pass game.

Here are things I noticed on defense:
  1. Kallon is so frustrating. He looks good in his stance. When they dial up a slant and he fires off the ball, he's actually getting penetration. There was a pass play on the first series where he spun away from his blocker and had a angle to sack the QB from the backside. . . instead he kinda jogged over & when Towers ran to him, made a pathetic arm tackle attempt. Dude is afraid of contact or something. He also took some plays off and got blown up by boston college
  2. Henderson didn't look great on his first series. He looked outmatched / overpowered by boston college's center / guard. However, he did play hard & wasn't blow off the ball. I'll take it, relative to Kallon.
  3. Idk if our DT play was that bad or our MLB wasn't filling his gap or both, but it seemed like even when our DT held their ground / gap, the RB just ran right by them & went untouched through the 2nd level.
Lastly, I didn't realize how big of deuches boston college was. Extra guys falling onto the tackle piles. Guys always pushing off the offensive player, not the ground. you could tell Boston College players were doing something with their hands in the piles or running their mouths based on how the GT player who got tackled reacted when he got up. That's really not cool. Coaches should get called out for their teams playing that way. It's just pathetic. . . kinda pisses me off that our offensive linemen didn't stop that bush league stuff in its tracks, but it is what it is.

Milwaukee

Banned
He blocks better than MM. That is the bottom line. Sometimes I felt like screaming at MM you are supposed to get in their way, not ours. Mills has a feel for the game and is tough to put on the ground. He pass protected well, but then also released looking for the ball after defenders got by him. Stuff like that.

Great analysis as always, Boomer. I'm going to disagree about MM "getting in the way" though. I know which play you're referring to, and yes, it looked bad on his part. But in his defense, he was in complete Pass Pro mode, then he went to release and as soon as he turned around to give JT a target, JT was already running right at him. So yes, JT kind of stumbled because he couldn't get around MM. But MM wasn't doing anything wrong fundamentally, it was just a tough luck/bad timing play. The play in question is at the 8:10 mark on 3rd and 6 in the 2nd qtr. MM stumbled when he noticed JT was coming full speed. Too bad too cause JT would've easily gotten the first down had MM not lost his footing.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
A 3-3-1 underneath the safeties (which I have never seen)

Southern a few years ago ran a double stack (3-3-3) ; BC dropped their safeties a little deeper to give that 3-3-1 look. But yeah, I don't recall seeing specifically that ever.

I am most worried and disappointed by the AB position. We just didn't get it done in the blocking phase and I mean nobody.

Ugly, for sure, but JJ Green (called AJ Green repeatedly) threw the block that got Mills into the end zone for the game winner. I did like something subtle he did with his feet on a pitch he took. He could be our best A-Back runner.

CPJ? That bunch formation BB toss play was huge. It was the only thing we could seem to get them sealed off with. Both TD's were on the same play. It worked when it busted. It worked when it didn't bust.

Best playcaller coaching today, hands down. Also switching to that "crazy" (I forgot what stylee calls it) motion where the outmost A-Back from Trips goes in motion helped open things up as well. We first saw that against FSU in 2009.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump as I said yesterday, great post. After thinking about it more I have a hypothesis but no facts (so it's perfect for this board).

CPJ doesn't have a set play call list but goes off what the other team is doing and our strengths versus their weaknesses. It seems that even I have an idea of what type play is coming based on down and distance and point of the game. If someone were to chart that up, they could probably get a good indication of CPJ's response. Thus they show one D, CPJ makes the call and they shift or stunt into what they think CPJ has called. That's why they were showing so many D's.
  • Do you think there is anything to being able to predict what CPJ is going to do on down & distance?
  • Were the formations / shifts they were showing in any logical progression to counter (sic) the earlier formations?

Let's also assume that every year the opposing ACC defensive coaches get together (led by Bud Foster and ....) to discuss what they have figured out about CPJ tendencies and tells from how certain players line up or go in motion. The enemy of my enemy is my ally.
  • The two most successful plays it seems to me were the one where the BB goes in motion which was new and the passing being accurate on mid-range which didn't happen much when we tried last year.
  • I think this game had the most tackle for losses of any game I can remember. They knew what we were going to do as you have eloquently pointed out. Were most of the TFLs scheme or blown assignments?
  • You said this was the best scheme CPJ has faced. Isn't that sort of expected as other teams "figure out" CPJ? I'm asking about scheme here and not players; Mercer could have the same scheme will not be able to execute at all. So I'd expect every year for the opposing ACC teams D scheme to get more effective.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump as I said yesterday, great post. After thinking about it more I have a hypothesis but no facts (so it's perfect for this board).

CPJ doesn't have a set play call list but goes off what the other team is doing and our strengths versus their weaknesses. It seems that even I have an idea of what type play is coming based on down and distance and point of the game. If someone were to chart that up, they could probably get a good indication of CPJ's response. Thus they show one D, CPJ makes the call and they shift or stunt into what they think CPJ has called. That's why they were showing so many D's.
  • Do you think there is anything to being able to predict what CPJ is going to do on down & distance?
  • Were the formations / shifts they were showing in any logical progression to counter (sic) the earlier formations?

Let's also assume that every year the opposing ACC defensive coaches get together (led by Bud Foster and ....) to discuss what they have figured out about CPJ tendencies and tells from how certain players line up or go in motion. The enemy of my enemy is my ally.
  • The two most successful plays it seems to me were the one where the BB goes in motion which was new and the passing being accurate on mid-range which didn't happen much when we tried last year.
  • I think this game had the most tackle for losses of any game I can remember. They knew what we were going to do as you have eloquently pointed out. Were most of the TFLs scheme or blown assignments?
  • You said this was the best scheme CPJ has faced. Isn't that sort of expected as other teams "figure out" CPJ? I'm asking about scheme here and not players; Mercer could have the same scheme will not be able to execute at all. So I'd expect every year for the opposing ACC teams D scheme to get more effective.
That is a lot to install for a week of practice. That is all most teams get. I'm not too worried about the majority of our schedule having that good a plan. It doesn't matter what the coaches know, it is what the players can remember and execute.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
GT NAVY NUKE -

Here is what I think. BC put a lot of time and effort into scheming for us. This was among the highest effort schemes (like Bud's at VPISU). They had a lot of formations and switched up. Outside of VPISU who does that?

Add very athletic players and you have an anomaly.

College football is a time balancing act. I would argue that VPISU and now maybe BC will hurt their seasons by their focus on CPJ and the Yellow Jackets.

/

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well this does confirm how much effort they put into prepping for our O. I expressed belief that going in there were putting everything on the line to jump start their season against us after 0-8 ACC record. It's possible they'll fall off the map now. The defense is great, but I doubt they'll be but a fraction as prepared for subsequent opponents. Their mental makeup is about to be tested.

Glad we scrapped out a win here. Seems like the kind to get us working harder on the details.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT NAVY NUKE -

Here is what I think. BC put a lot of time and effort into scheming for us. This was among the highest effort schemes (like Bud's at VPISU). They had a lot of formations and switched up. Outside of VPISU who does that?

Add very athletic players and you have an anomaly.

College football is a time balancing act. I would argue that VPISU and now maybe BC will hurt their seasons by their focus on CPJ and the Yellow Jackets.

/
You may be right, but it is hard for me to imagine them having a bad year on defense right now. What I am most curious about is how good their offense will be ultimately. If just average, I think they will have a good season. Time will tell if this was a huge win for TECH or just a rescued sloppy performance. At this point, I believe we just beat a bowl team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I hope that we can discuss this without name calling.
Fact: in last games of 14 Gt totally shocked the football - an secc powerhouse loaded w top draft picks could not stop gt. It seemed that the right side of our line could not be stopped. I cautioned that last three games were played against dc who had 4 total years expr. In 14 we saw periods where we had troble but eere bailed out (smelter) & coach dialed up some great calls. No power program wantvto be embarrassed.
My son is AD at 2a texas high school . They break down game films the old fashion way but could use a service to provide tendencies. Even though not expensive he wants ast coaches and dc to do it manually so they know it. The bigger high schools do both so I can imagine how much the top tier programs and those programs that emphasize defense (bc vt noe duke) have spent. In high school it is not rare to share the tendency results to friends. I would guess that in college what is shared is how to look at the info.

It is obvious that they are doing new things . Last year at ND you could see that the small fast mlb was a missile to the edge and that the dl in the middle were holding.

Yes I know coach is awesome but what are some solutions to negate or flip this over prep to our advantage. Yes I know we will beat mercer and vandy. I am talking about Clemson, miami uga and what we can do differently to beat the good teams.
Obvious ones
1. More straight play calling early in game.
2. Try to do short pass out of TO -
3. Try a few unbalanced line formations with variable splits .
4. Out of 3. More lulling guards
5. Have ab step to right or left and use TO off Tackle on a slant.
6 Influence
plays (naked bootleg).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter what the coaches know, it is what the players can remember and execute.
Seem to have noticed in several games over the years that a defense may defend a particular play well early in the game and completely blow it later in the game. I always felt like it was not just a matter of being physically tired but being mentally exhausted as they kept having to adjust to one new wrinkle after another to the point where they just reverted to old instincts.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am the odd man out here, but I think a lot of folks underestimate what we accomplished on Saturday. I finally got to rewatch most of the game and their defense is more impressive each time I watch it.

Everyone says that the killer of our offense is good players, and extra time to prepare. Well folks they had both, and they made the most of both. Yet our guys dug deep when it mattered and came out the victors. It wasn't pretty, it was part luck, but by golly we won.

I think BC is going to beat some teams this year that will surprise some folks. If #97 comes out this year for the draft, I hope the Falcons take him. He is able to do things athletically that a big guy shouldn't be able to do.