Film Study - GT Defense vs BC Offense

This is a young defense. They will get better as the season progresses. BC"S defence knew what was coming at them. Techs defense not so much. They have a first time starter. Their top RB got hurt last year, he was back. Hard to study film on that. Points allowed is the most important stat and they won that battle this week. They are maturing. .

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When we talk about BC and their "talent level" we need to forget about their recruiting rankings. That info is 3 years old and unimportant in today's context. BC is physical, fast, athletic, and well coached on defense. Take that to the bank. I could care less how they were rated coming out of HS. If you were a coach and scheming for this week's game, would you go back and look at how a kid ranked coming out of HS? Heck no you wouldn't. You would look at what they were doing today.

You continue with this point. So, let's toss out the recruiting rankings already. The big ? then is: could their coaches take our kids and make them play like that (the ol' "he could take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n" attributed to Bear or another coach back in the day). Or does their staff do a better job of identifying talent (regardless of rankings) and getting them to sign? Or C) all of the above? I don't think BC is competing with OSU or Bama for recruits...although their D sure looks like they could play for Saban or Urban.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
All 3 star players are not made the same. This is a VERY large group of players, and I don't think we are getting anywhere near the top echelon of these players at the DL or LB positions. I cannot speak for BC's defensive recruiting, and I do agree that some players become much better (or worse) than their ratings out of HS, but that is not even my point. My point is that we have to get some Derrick Morgans, some Michael Johnsons, some Gary Guytons, some Philip Wheelers mixed into those 3 star recruits, and I am not seeing any of these talents. When will we EVER get DT's with size and speed? We may never. They are a very limited group, and it appears that Bammer, LSU, Texas, ND, etc. get what is available of these guys.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All 3 star players are not made the same. This is a VERY large group of players, and I don't think we are getting anywhere near the top echelon of these players at the DL or LB positions. I cannot speak for BC's defensive recruiting, and I do agree that some players become much better (or worse) than their ratings out of HS, but that is not even my point. My point is that we have to get some Derrick Morgans, some Michael Johnsons, some Gary Guytons, some Philip Wheelers mixed into those 3 star recruits, and I am not seeing any of these talents. When will we EVER get DT's with size and speed? We may never. They are a very limited group, and it appears that Bammer, LSU, Texas, ND, etc. get what is available of these guys.

Yes, but it didn't help LSU or ND Saturday.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Guys. We had an incredibly efficient scoring offense in 2014. Our scoring efficiency vs pwr 5 has averaged #6 under CPJ (#4 before last year). We haven't been busting our seams with 1st round draft picks. We have a team concept system and a coach who can teach it and call plays from it.

Why is it so hard to believe that Don Brown, the architect of BCs D, can do the same on his side of the ball?

Henrymcg

Georgia Tech Fan
Boomergump,
Thank you for the write-up. I do not rewatch each defensive series but I follow closely enough to have a good idea of where we stand personnel-wise and agree w/ your assessment. Wish we had a Dalvin Tomlinson on the D-line or another year of eligibility for Adam Gotsis. Like we know, Coach Wommack or Charles Kelly have these luxuries and we are fighting on every play. That's why I'd like to take a moment to vouch for Georgia Tech's defense & Ted Roof's coaching even on the days we are getting walked on. Again, thanks for the film study. Top notch.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You continue with this point. So, let's toss out the recruiting rankings already. The big ? then is: could their coaches take our kids and make them play like that (the ol' "he could take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n" attributed to Bear or another coach back in the day). Or does their staff do a better job of identifying talent (regardless of rankings) and getting them to sign? Or C) all of the above? I don't think BC is competing with OSU or Bama for recruits...although their D sure looks like they could play for Saban or Urban.
You already know the answer to that question. Does their team do a better job identifying talent they can sign and get them ready? I think the proof was on the field last weekend (at least for the last few recruiting cycles anyway) on the defensive side. BC has done a great job recruiting the defensive side of the ball. That is readily apparent and totally independent of what recruiting service geeks think about anything. You can't get a defense like that without spotting defensive talent and developing them. Could their coaches take our kids and do the same thing? I love our kids, but I don't think so, at least the ones we are playing right now. Who knows about our last two classes?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You already know the answer to that question. Does their team do a better job identifying talent they can sign and get them ready? I think the proof was on the field last weekend (at least for the last few recruiting cycles anyway) on the defensive side. BC has done a great job recruiting the defensive side of the ball.

I tend to agree with this answer. Somehow, some coaches/staffs just have a knack for spotting talent aside from the 5 * star blue chipper that signs with OSU or Bama. Everybody knows those recruits.We tend to blame calculus, the Hill, the BOR and a whole host of other reasons for why we can't sign the ultra elite athlete, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the kids that played against us Saturday on the D side of the ball couldn't have gotten into GT. Again, Ross and his staff were the best at this (identifying kids who weren't "blue-chip" but who got things done on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You already know the answer to that question. Does their team do a better job identifying talent they can sign and get them ready? I think the proof was on the field last weekend (at least for the last few recruiting cycles anyway) on the defensive side. BC has done a great job recruiting the defensive side of the ball. That is readily apparent and totally independent of what recruiting service geeks think about anything. You can't get a defense like that without spotting defensive talent and developing them. Could their coaches take our kids and do the same thing? I love our kids, but I don't think so, at least the ones we are playing right now. Who knows about our last two classes?

Fwiw, I disagree. I think that if we had Don Brown and his staff for a few years, we'd have a top 20 D with our talent after attrition.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fwiw, I disagree. I think that if we had Don Brown and his staff for a few years, we'd have a top 20 D with our talent after attrition.
If he was here for a few years, he would no longer have "our talent" but the next generation thereof. Do you believe he would make a top 20 defense out of this year's two deep? I would love to see it, but would be surprised. I like our coaches and I like our kids. However, that DL of ours is not the foundation of a top 20 defense. They would have to come a long way. Don't get me wrong. I think we can be pretty good on defense (relative to the recent past), but top 20 might be a stretch.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If he was here for a few years, he would no longer have "our talent" but the next generation thereof. Do you believe he would make a top 20 defense out of this year's two deep? I would love to see it, but would be surprised. I like our coaches and I like our kids. However, that DL of ours is not the foundation of a top 20 defense. They would have to come a long way. Don't get me wrong. I think we can be pretty good on defense (relative to the recent past), but top 20 might be a stretch.

I'm saying better coaches make the same players better, but even more make the same players look better by better team D.

The front 7 that allowed the big run on Saturday was the same players that allowed it two years ago. Mitchell getting clogged up by charging the wrong gap is not Quayshawn Nealy who did the same thing two years ago.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Speaking of......we need some DT commits for this year also. We have made progress here the last couple of years but must continue or we will have this same conversation going forward.