Film Study - Defense vs Wofford

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roofs best move he can do on D is what we did in the past. We asked the whole DL to occupy and spill runners and let the LB's clean up. Manufacture pressure with LB's. But ask the DL to shade gaps and occupy OL and not worry about stats. For me, that is what we can do without superior talent

I hope we have the talent at LB to pull this off between Marcordes, Davis, Harrell, and Nealy

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
First, many MANY thanks to Boomergump for his film study and analysis. I really look forward to it!

I feared this was the case based on the live action view of the game. Until we get better in the trenches, it is hard seeing us win more than 7 games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Best thing thus far for our D this year is Green IMO. Healthy and now looks to be one of our strengths on D. Gotsis had a poor game but I've seen far too much good from him in the past to be worried about him at the moment. So I feel much better about our starting DTs now than in preseason. DE is still a concern as is the quality on 2nd string DT. I expect our young DEs to improve as the season progresses....by how much is the question.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Some knew the DL would struggle but even the LB and DB tackling was off.The real question is why woff run Off played us so well when our Def sees THIS Off ALL THE TIME.
Running teams are going to run us into the ground if things don't change..If Kallon can't help vs Woff then Vt and unc are a dream.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The real question is why woff run Off played us so well when our Def sees THIS Off ALL THE TIME.

Could it be that Wofford knows how teams defend the scheme and practices against it too? Too many people do not realize the extent in which football is not played in a vacuum.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess the question to ask the entire group is this: what can we really take away from the last game? IMHO making sweeping predictions about how good or bad we will be based on the Wofford contest is not wise. First of all, schematically, we will probably not ever use that alignment nor deploy those tactics again this season, except maybe GSU, depending on what they decide to run. When I watched that film, I only tried to take away what I reasonably could from the action, namely the one on one match ups and how our guys fared. Anything else is pretty much fruitless. Our DEs were unblocked much of the time, half the defenders don't flow to the ball but rather pitch men etc. There wasn't much passing going on. Stay home and read. Play your assignment. Those were the menu items for the day. I guarantee you if we were to play, say, UGAg tomorrow, we would have 8 in the box much of the time and we would be coming with blitzes every other play. Well, we didn't get to see any of that stuff Saturday, so making predictions about how well we will do it is premature.

I feel we have a soft belly in the defense. How well we scheme around that is yet to be determined. How well we cover is too. At this point we just can't tell. I have a good feeling about a lot of things on our defense, but I also know that what happens within a yard or so of the ball is real important too. We will just have to see.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I was impressed with Green and really didnt expect him to be such a terror, overall I think we will be alright when we can blitz more and takeaway the double teams off of Gostis. Like everyone has said hard to judge from this game and really like how hard it was to cover very below average talent in a difficult scheme like ours.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I know we can't take away the 92 yd run, however if we did, there'd probably be less concern overall.

Would have liked to seem more impact plays by the D-line. Hope the back 7 learn from mistakes that occurred and take better angles and wrap up better going forward.

With that said, let's see how it looks after this week's game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I know we can't take away the 92 yd run, however if we did, there'd probably be less concern overall.

Would have liked to seem more impact plays by the D-line. Hope the back 7 learn from mistakes that occurred and take better angles and wrap up better going forward.

With that said, let's see how it looks after this week's game.

I do not think the 92 yard run was a back 7 angle or wrapup problem as much as a scheme issue. As a result of not leaving a deep center safety we saw a long run in the spring game by Laskey, a long run by Bylerly in camp scrimmage, and a long run by Wofford. If we cannot run down Laskey or Byerly from behind and we don't leave a safety in the middle we will see some more long runs IMO. I like to gamble with LB and CB blitzes , but not not in favor of purposely moving a safety out of the middle.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I would think that CTR didn't open the defensive playbook too wide for Wofford, hence we should find out more this week.
This is my hope also.
I vacillate between two poles, one in which I say we are in really big trouble this year on defense, and the other in which I say CTR is holding back some stunts and schemes for the meat of the schedule.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
According to reporting, we spent a lot of time in Spring and Fall camps working on fundamentals on D. We were not good enuf there v Wofford, imo.

Hopefully it was just first game-itis for a lot of guys who didn't play, or not much, last year. If Tulane scores more than 17, I fear another long year in D.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There was some cause for concern vs Wofford but I think it has generated more hand wringing than is warranted at this point. My biggest frustration that day was their last looong TD drive. I've watched plenty of games with teams that were over matched talent wise. In almost every one I've seen them make at least one long scoring drive. The 90 yard run was ugly...a breakdown we can't afford to repeat much this year and be successful.

Having said all that. It was the first game. We won't know what we really have till our 4th game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It really just amazes me that some people can be so negative after one game. Wow
are you saying that it is not a surprise to you that woff OUTRUSHED us by a considerable margin and that is not an indictment on our def?
btw--don't even begin to talk how they had 8 men in the box--I watched the tape--we played tighter than they did generally
lets see what happens this week--if we stop their run game ( less than 130 yds)then it was an aberration and I'm wrong

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I do not think the 92 yard run was a back 7 angle or wrapup problem as much as a scheme issue. As a result of not leaving a deep center safety we saw a long run in the spring game by Laskey, a long run by Bylerly in camp scrimmage, and a long run by Wofford. If we cannot run down Laskey or Byerly from behind and we don't leave a safety in the middle we will see some more long runs IMO. I like to gamble with LB and CB blitzes , but not not in favor of purposely moving a safety out of the middle.
Our safety cheated to his assumed play side and got burned. Shouldn't happen but it does. It also didn't help that our MLB got steamrolled, too.