Film Study - Defense vs Tulane

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I preface this writing with an admission that I have only watched slightly in excess of half the game's defensive series. In addition to that, I really only watched each play enough times to truly scrutinize the goings on at the defensive line and not much more. This was, in part, due to the camera angles being so bad that most of the back end was out of view anyway. Some replays showed angles that allowed secondary viewing, but they were few and far between. Also, I would like to say that I believe Two-Lane (according to the color guy) is more talented ion the offensive side of the ball than on defense. Just my opinion, TIFWIW.

I really only feel comfortable commenting on what I actually observed closely, so I won't even comment on the play of the back 4 or 5, other than I have no idea what Noble was doing on that long TD pass in Q2. None. His angle/ technique / eye placement was beyond bad. If you want to give up a TD, do what he did.

I'll start with the DL. Look folks, we are in for a long season in the trenches. I don't know any other way to say it. If we do end up with an effective unit, it will be because of the secondary holding up in single coverage while we blitz. Green earns some kudos from me. He plays with the correct pad level and blasts off the ball. He gets as many double teams as Gotsis, yet he usually fights for more of a stalemate when it happens. Gotsis was getting pushed back grossly by the double teams and completely taken out of plays. Gotsis can make some plays when he faces a single guy and he chases fairly well. Most of the good LB plays against the run happened because Green held point against two guys allowing the appropriate fill from behind. Stargell was ineffectual and needs to be benched IMHO. Rook-Chungong is doing some nice things, but he is far from dominant. He can use his hands some and he can move a little. We can live with him although in my heart I want better. I like Keshun Freeman to start on the other side. He ISN'T READY yet, but he at least looks like a player for the future. Despite being green around the ears, we don't lose a thing from Stargell being out. Keshun moves well and is hard to keep blocked. He just looks like he is thinking too much and is afraid to make a mistake. My advice would be for him to pin his ears back and just play hard, whatever happens. At least DE is a position where you can kind of do that. His upper body isn't ready for this level yet and he doesn't use his hands consistently well enough yet, but there is little doubt he has potential and knows where his weight is. Gamble plays way too high and has no idea where his weight is. Unfortunately, he will be seeing a lot of time, so we will need him to figure it out and develop a motor.

Sorry to be a downer, but that is what I see.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I preface this writing with an admission that I have only watched slightly in excess of half the game's defensive series. In addition to that, I really only watched each play enough times to truly scrutinize the goings on at the defensive line and not much more. This was, in part, due to the camera angles being so bad that most of the back end was out of view anyway. Some replays showed angles that allowed secondary viewing, but they were few and far between. Also, I would like to say that I believe Two-Lane (according to the color guy) is more talented ion the offensive side of the ball than on defense. Just my opinion, TIFWIW.

I really only feel comfortable commenting on what I actually observed closely, so I won't even comment on the play of the back 4 or 5, other than I have no idea what Noble was doing on that long TD pass in Q2. None. His angle/ technique / eye placement was beyond bad. If you want to give up a TD, do what he did.

I'll start with the DL. Look folks, we are in for a long season in the trenches. I don't know any other way to say it. If we do end up with an effective unit, it will be because of the secondary holding up in single coverage while we blitz. Green earns some kudos from me. He plays with the correct pad level and blasts off the ball. He gets as many double teams as Gotsis, yet he usually fights for more of a stalemate when it happens. Gotsis was getting pushed back grossly by the double teams and completely taken out of plays. Gotsis can make some plays when he faces a single guy and he chases fairly well. Most of the good LB plays against the run happened because Green held point against two guys allowing the appropriate fill from behind. Stargell was ineffectual and needs to be benched IMHO. Rook-Chungong is doing some nice things, but he is far from dominant. He can use his hands some and he can move a little. We can live with him although in my heart I want better. I like Keshun Freeman to start on the other side. He ISN'T READY yet, but he at least looks like a player for the future. Despite being green around the ears, we don't lose a thing from Stargell being out. Keshun moves well and is hard to keep blocked. He just looks like he is thinking too much and is afraid to make a mistake. My advice would be for him to pin his ears back and just play hard, whatever happens. At least DE is a position where you can kind of do that. His upper body isn't ready for this level yet and he doesn't use his hands consistently well enough yet, but there is little doubt he has potential and knows where his weight is. Gamble plays way too high and has no idea where his weight is. Unfortunately, he will be seeing a lot of time, so we will need him to figure it out and develop a motor.

Unfortunately I agree with everything said

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer

I completely agree on Gamble. He just looks like a big guy, who is clueless as to how to use his physical gifts. Didnt see him use his hands whatsoever. Kallon cannot be any worse IMO. But maybe these guys will improve some. Next year we will be loaded on the Dline. This year its a complete disaster. Were gonna need to lean heavily on our DBs. Bump the WRs off the line a little or something... We need to be able to get their with the blitz or were in deep doodoo

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think gotsis is struggling? My quick eye with no replays hasn't noticed him playing high, but he is coming off the ball slow. I'd be interested to hear opinions.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think gotsis is struggling? My quick eye with no replays hasn't noticed him playing high, but he is coming off the ball slow. I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Because he needs to be an end not a tackle.

Because our current de are so ineffective the O never has to worry about doubling them so its easy to focus on green and gotsis

Because ted roof better take a page from bud fosters book or it will be more of the same.

This preseason i knew this would happen.....our biggest concern is sde/de and the dl. Not bb. Not ab. Not qb. Etc etc.

Its really obvious on tape.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Time for another beer. Thanks Boomer :confused: IIWII. I can't disagree and doubt Tulane's OL was as good as most we are going to face this year.

This is the year for the 2009 plan; score lots and lots of points and then score some more. But we have to score slow to keep the D off the field.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree gotsis natural position is DE. We need him at DT tho. Hard to expect much if he is getting doubled every play. If he is our DEs should be able to make plays. I'm looking forward to seeing what rook and freeman do with more snaps.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I agree gotsis natural position is DE. We need him at DT tho. Hard to expect much if he is getting doubled every play. If he is our DEs should be able to make plays. I'm looking forward to seeing what rook and freeman do with more snaps.
Could we not move him to DE and let Gamble and Kallon try to stuff the middle? If he would make a nasty DE... Why not give it a shot? Atleast on passing downs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well after another beer, I've decided that denial is the best approach. Boomer didn't watch much of the second half and that was the better half....... the good thing is attitude adjustment to reality. We have 5 Fr on the first and second D teams. We lost a bunch to the NFL. It's going to take some time. They have until the VT game to grow up :facepalm:

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, I miss the days of having dominant folks on the DL like Darryl Richard, Joe Anoai, Eric Henderson, Michael Johnson, etc. The game is often won and lost in the trenches and I just see us struggling against teams like Clemson & VT this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK. I am back home and can write a little more. Look, Gotsis is not getting doubled every play, but when he does he is getting pushed off the planet. He plays too high to take on two people. Green is low enough and fires out hard enough that when the double comes (at least as often as Gotsis btw) he holds his ground. That is all you can ask IMHO. Beating a double team can happen with elite players, but it certainly isn't expected. Earn a draw and let the guys around you make the play. When I watch, Green is the only guy who looks like a real DT and even he is limited in the pass rush. Gotsis hasn't gotten worse. Don't panic. He was good last year and he is still good. He just isn't an all conference type of player at that position.

We will probably slow down teams enough to win a lot of games this year, but we are going to have to win with a full team effort, meaning a healthy production and ball control from the offense. I like a lot of our players on defense, but experience tells me to be a lock down defense, you have to be really good and deep on the interior. We are not. What we have is speed and agility on the back end.

A lot of the throws made against us in New Orleans got out of there quick, so it really didn't mean that much, in terms of our pass rush getting to the QB. However, I base my comments on the technique being used and the relative effectiveness of our players making gains against their players, regardless if they actually got there or not. Most plays where we sent 4, it wouldn't have mattered if the QB held the ball two more seconds. It was pretty much the same story last year until JA caught fire in the last few games. We are going to have to bring numbers and we will most likely reap the rewards and suffer the consequences of doing so for the rest of the year. I expect an up and down wild ride on defense.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, I won't disagree with your DLine assessment other than to say all we really need from them is to know what we can get from them on a consistent basis. If the coaches know that, then at that point they should be able to scheme for any weaknesses or shortcomings there are on the line. I recall last year you were extremely harsh on Attaochu as a DE so I am just going to consider you a hard grader. We may not line up 4 all ACC players but last year everyone was saying Dieke was horrid and he made it in an NFL camp for a while before he got injured so he must have been at least serviceable. Gotsis is a year older and a year better, Green is a bigger, better version of Cummings so our run defense shoudn't be any worse than it was last year. Chungong and Freeman are the weak points against the run but with Harrel, Marcordes and Nealy back there to fill the gaps, our linebacker play should be sufficient to cover the drop down from Attaochu and Dieke... Attaochu wasn't drafted for his run stopping ability.

VT doesn't have a good offensive line, UNC doesn't have a good offensive line, UVA doesn't have a good offensive line, Miami doesn't have a good offensive line, Pitt has a good line but a big slow back, we held him to less than 40 yards last year and Duke is still Duke.. We will win or lose games based on what we do as a whole on defense not because of the DLine.

Right now my biggest concern, since I hope that CTR has decided to never play Noble another meaningful snap as safety this year, is we continue to start games off with our corners giving way too much room on the outside trying to avoid the big play down the field. Instead we allow the QB and the recievers to get into an early rhythm throwing and catching the ball and converting on those third and mediums. It's frustrating to no end for it to be third and 4 and see the corner playing 10 yards back. With griffin back, we have bigger, stronger corners and White is equally adept and turning and running with the best of them. We need to start games off in much more press man coverage to take away those easy passes that teams look for to get into a groove. Closing down those easy lanes will allow for more blitzing and help the dline put pressure on the QB. Once you hit the QB and get him rattled, then switch back and forth between man and zone.. blitzing 5 or 6 and dropping 8 into coverage. But you have to get him rattled and questioning what he sees first. Last year we allowed every QB we played to have almost a career day passing against us and that was not all the dline's fault.

The offense is going to have to not give opposing teams short fields to drive and CTR is going to have to get these corners to trust their technique and press, press and press.. bump and run.. On the UNC qb is a dual threat QB so, worrying about QB's running against us shouldn't be an issue.. just unleash those DB's !!!!