Film Room Film Room: GT Defense vs. BC Offense Series 1

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
An uninformed opinion....held strongly.....is still just an uninformed opinion. I think there is quite a bit of evidence BC actually had some talent on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
An uninformed opinion....held strongly.....is still just an uninformed opinion. I think there is quite a bit of evidence BC actually had some talent on the field.

I respect a person who qualifies what they're about to say before saying it. Well done.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Couple of things here:

Most Important
Thanks @Ibeeballin these are awesome. I have been studying this offense for the previous three or four seasons with an eye to really understand the instinctual stuff. Following our reads on options, figuring out blocking assignments, etc and have enjoyed watching football even more now that I know a fair bit more about our O than I did 5 years ago. That said, I never really knew schematically what we were doing on the D side, and so continued to watch with attention to players seemingly being in the right space and making plays. That was all fine and good, but since learning more about the O I have been wishing for something like this for the D side as well. Throw in your obvious credentials and the time and effort you put in and now all of a sudden I have a font for understanding more about our game plan and how we execute, to THANK YOU for doing this.

Question for Mods
Are we able to start a fund/help provide software packages for guys who have the knowledge and ability to do these breakdowns? I know the value of a forum is to have free and open discourse, but if the only thing standing between us having more of this type content is $ I bet people would be happy to help donate. I am not trying to sign anyone up for a second job, etc, but I have learned a lot from Boomer, LongestDay, this post and others who took the time to do there.

If Nothing else
I live out in Houston now, but whenever I am back in ATL I would definitely like to meet some of you guys who break these down and talk football with people who know it through and through. Beer, Bourbon, or other is on me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What is the ideal college DLman? Big, strong, quick, smart, technical master, instinctive, high motor, uses leverage masterfully. What else? There's just not a ton of guys who come out of high school with all those things. The ones that do, go to Bama or a host of other factories, not GT. We recruit projects. These guys might have a few of these traits, but must develop the others over time. Some never develop. Sometimes that's coaching, but most of the time it doesn't happen because the player ain't got it and never will.

We have some young "projects" in the queue right now. Who knows how they'll pan out. Some will, some won't. It's tough to expect them to come in right away and make a significant impact, though.
Sure looks like some of those talented line men (on both sides of the ball) go to B C , which (Imo) is the issue.
Those guys were beasts.
Maybe bc has a unc academic joke ciriculum , but the grads I meet were more like Sxxxxxd and gt grads.
If I am right and it is a good school and the players are real students, that gives us real hope. We have been growing projects for quite a while and need (Imo) to see some significant positive change in results at DL . Also trying to recruit into a defense that is so passive is a self fulfilling circle.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nice job, thanks! One thing I noticed on the last play, the int, the qb missed a wide open receiver. The wr who lined up at the top of the screen, the guy across from our blitzer, had nobody in his time zone for the first down. We had a safety on that side, but he was waaaaaay off, at least 8 yards.
CPJ commented on that in his press conference.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If I am right and it is a good school and the players are real students, that gives us real hope.
They do have a larger "feeder system" than Tech....every Catholic prep school in the nation, not to mention a large support network in the Northeast. This is not an excuse for Tech not getting comparable players, just trying to explain how they seem to "punch above their weight class" when it comes to recruiting defensive players.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would agree if I saw BC out running angles or piledriving our DLine into the ground but that wasn't the case
We were in a stalemate with OL's on a lot of passing plays. You don't have to be pancaked to lose the battle. It wasn't all bad, however. It was nice to see our 3 man rush actually get some pressure on BC's last drive. That was surprising and a welcome sight.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I use QuickTime screen record and use the mouse scroll to go back and forth while the film is paused. I download the game from YouTube using Firefox and a plunging for Firefox.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
What is the ideal college DLman? Big, strong, quick, smart, technical master, instinctive, high motor, uses leverage masterfully. What else? There's just not a ton of guys who come out of high school with all those things. The ones that do, go to Bama or a host of other factories, not GT. We recruit projects. These guys might have a few of these traits, but must develop the others over time. Some never develop. Sometimes that's coaching, but most of the time it doesn't happen because the player ain't got it and never will.

We have some young "projects" in the queue right now. Who knows how they'll pan out. Some will, some won't. It's tough to expect them to come in right away and make a significant impact, though.
Projects like Joe Anoai, Mansfield Wrotto, Adamm Oliver, Vance Walker ... They don't have to be Ndamukong Suh's to be effective in the right scheme.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope y'all can get pass my country SC twang and come away with some understanding of our defense during this 1st series. Please leave your thoughts or any questions. Enjoy

Is anybody else not able to see the link or the video? I have a picture but no video. Looking at this on a fairly recent Mac with OS X.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We recruit projects. These guys might have a few of these traits, but must develop the others over time. Some never develop. Sometimes that's coaching, but most of the time it doesn't happen because the player ain't got it and never will.

I somewhat agree about recruiting 'projects' at this position. This is a historical issue... in my 40+ years as a fan, I can name fewer great players at the interior DL than at any other place or position group on the field. with all that being said, i would like to see us recruit just a few more bodies here than what we typically do. Just to allow for the fact that some will not fully develop.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So my question is this. If you move Adams and Glanton into the D. tackles would you move Gamble to the outside just to beef it up some with who on the other end?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Great job, ibeeballin. Makes me want to get back to coaching football and actually learn the ins and outs of defense!