Fill up Dodd!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I was attending games at GF when it was filled up - regardless of opponent.

So as awesome and as much of a miracle as it would be to have a full stadium this Saturday, it won’t happen.

The best thing to be done immediately is to stop any donations to the academic side, and give those to the GTAA in addition to what is given now.

Deleted member 2897

So as awesome and as much of a miracle as it would be to have a full stadium this Saturday, it won’t happen.

The best thing to be done immediately is to stop any donations to the academic side, and give those to the GTAA in addition to what is given now.

I read somewhere (on the internet, so it must be true) that 35% of alumni give to the academic side, and 8% give to the GTAA. For real though I think I heard ADTS state that. While I am not a fan of robbing from Peter to give to Paul, if you are budget limited and can only give so much, our academic reputation, branding, and status doesn't need help like the athletic side does.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
I read somewhere (on the internet, so it must be true) that 35% of alumni give to the academic side, and 8% give to the GTAA. For real though I think I heard ADTS state that. While I am not a fan of robbing from Peter to give to Paul, if you are budget limited and can only give so much, our academic reputation, branding, and status doesn't need help like the athletic side does.
Agreed. And research grants tend to fill the academic coffers much more effectively. IMO we should contribute to the marketing arm that is Athletics.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

When was that? I was in school from 1987 to 1992. 1991 and 1992 were close, but not completely full except for games like the mutts. There were some games that attendance was 8,000 below capacity during those years. From 1987 to 1989 there were consistently games that were 20,000 below capacity. In 1987 the WF game attendance was around 21,000.

Another thing, if people look at the opponents during those years it included: Chattanooga, VMI, and Furman(several times). People seem to believe that before the last 20 years BDS was completely full for every game with very few visiting fans. That simply isn't true. People also believe that we always played FBS teams before CPJ. That also simply isn't true.

William Brice Stadium is usually full of rabid fans whether USCe is good or not. Notre Dame Stadium is usually full even when they have bad years. Fans can complain about game times, coaches, water outlets, etc. But, GT fans can and should buy tickets and attend games, period full stop.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
To fill Dodd for an OC game, we should try for a home and home with Southern Cal, Michigan, Texas...somebody that will be a big draw but is too far away to fill it with the wrong color, like it is when we play Clemson or that one 60 miles east. Just a thought. Is that even possible? Sure would be nice to see Dodd full of gold once again, like back in the good ole days.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Best thing we can do to help our team. Let’s get it done.
bless-your-heart--meme-12251.jpg

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
To fill Dodd for an OC game, we should try for a home and home with Southern Cal, Michigan, Texas...somebody that will be a big draw but is too far away to fill it with the wrong color, like it is when we play Clemson or that one 60 miles east. Just a thought. Is that even possible? Sure would be nice to see Dodd full of gold once again, like back in the good ole days.
Problem is Big Boy teams hate playing Option teams. Look at Army vs Oklahoma. Army's going to find it tough to find that powerful P5 team that wants to play them.

Look a Boise St. After they beat Oklahoma and then georgia, no teams want to play them. Alabama refused to play a H&H with them. Bama said their stadium was too small but then they scheduled Duke, which at the time had a smaller stadium than Boise St. Bama was just chicken at that time.

Getting a top P5 team in here is going to be tough, but it's because they are scared of us. How many H&H series have been cancelled by the other teams since CPJ has been here? I know USCe and Bama. Any others?

Playa Gotta Play.jpg

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
We are scheduling games 5+ years out. CPJ won't be here, regardless of his performance, by the time these games materialize. The bottom line is we don't help other schools fill their stadium so there is nothing in it for them to schedule us. Most worthwhile sec schools sell out regardless of opponent so why schedule a h&h with us and risk a loss when they can schedule Southwest Coastal State College.

Problem is Big Boy teams hate playing Option teams. Look at Army vs Oklahoma. Army's going to find it tough to find that powerful P5 team that wants to play them.

Look a Boise St. After they beat Oklahoma and then georgia, no teams want to play them. Alabama refused to play a H&H with them. Bama said their stadium was too small but then they scheduled Duke, which at the time had a smaller stadium than Boise St. Bama was just chicken at that time.

Getting a top P5 team in here is going to be tough, but it's because they are scared of us. How many H&H series have been cancelled by the other teams since CPJ has been here? I know USCe and Bama. Any others?

View attachment 4234
Any P5 team Tech might be able to schedule for home & home probably wouldn't be able to be put on either our or their schedule for 10 years. By that time, CPJ will be long gone, so who knows what kind of offense we might be running. So not being willing to play an option team is really a moot point. Tech has had pre-Johnson home & home schedules in the past with ND (pre-ACC), Southern Cal, Auburn, Tennessee, and others. It's just a matter of both sides coming to an agreement.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
On this topic... is there anybody who's looking for tix to the Bowling Green game tomorrow to help fill it up? In London for 6 months and can't make it, but bought tix to support the program. Free tix or whatever you think is fair!

Mods: feel free to move to the ticket thread or delete, but thought it applied a little here.