FB Champs in/around Atlanta

Who will win the next FB national championship first?

• Georgia Bulldogs

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 48 78.7%

• Total voters

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan
This year marks 30 since GT won its last national championship, but take solace - it makes 40 years since UGA won one!

From "Southeast National Champions Club?"
Champs-SE-1990-2019.png

Only two P5 teams in the area shown have NOT won a national championship since 1990. One of them is the University of South Carolina Gamecocks who, to be fair, hadn't even won a bowl game prior to 1994, so... baby steps.

The other Southeastern P5 without a championship trophy in the last 3 decades? The Georgia Bulldogs. In fact, they've only even played in the championship game once in that span, famously losing to Alabama on a 41-yard touchdown pass in overtime on 2nd down and 26... [see also ACCFootballRx - Bad Calls Marr 2018 CFP Final] Ugh-ah!

Strange that the flagship college in the state usually regarded as the college football capital of the world can't win a national title while literally every P5 team around them has...

So I ask again, which team will win its next national championship first? Georgia, or Georgia Tech?
#GetReadyToRumble!

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan
To be honest, after the 2017 season I would've said confidently that the Bulldogs would win one before the Jackets, but now... I'm impressed by what Collins is building in Atlanta. I always thought Miami was the biggest obstacle for the Hokies but that hasn't proven to be the case. I have to wonder if GT won't grab another trophy before UGa...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
To be honest, after the 2017 season I would've said confidently that the Bulldogs would win one before the Jackets, but now... I'm impressed by what Collins is building in Atlanta. I always thought Miami was the biggest obstacle for the Hokies but that hasn't proven to be the case. I have to wonder if GT won't grab another trophy before UGa...
That's nice of you to say.. if like to remind you of the drumming yall gave us this year at home. First shutout at home in a long, long time. This team still has a lot to prove.

Hokie Mark

Georgia Tech Fan
I wear gold colored glasses too, but to say as of right now that you think we could win a trophy before UGA is asinine

More of an expression of skepticism about UGA than anything. GT is nowhere near winning one at the moment, but I feel like you may have a decade before the boys in Athens pull it off - plenty of time for things to change.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Under the current playoff system, only ONE season (2018) has a conference had more than 1 member represented in the playoff. Currently, Ga Tech is far behind UGA in talent...a big gap. But a glass half full perspective is the gap closes when you look at chances of representing the ACC as conference champion. Ga Tech's chances of emerging as ACC champ (playoff participant) are low these days; but they are not as low as they would be if Ga Tech were in the SEC.

By any objective measure, obviously. But who says we need to be objective? They've had more legit chances than us in the last 39 years by far, and we still have them beat by 1. So you never know.
And if we had beat FSU in the ACCCG, which we came close to doing, we would have made the playoffs, and, as badly as we beat MSU in the Orange Bowl, anything might have happened in the playoffs. Boy, would the mutts have hated that. LOL

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I wear gold colored glasses too, but to say as of right now that you think we could win a trophy before UGA is asinine
That's easy- U(sic)gA will never win another natty.

They have the General Electric problem- their fundamentally terrible management means they buy world class talent and opportunities at top dollar and turn them into mediocre results. Anyone who might change that will be kicked out within 5 years because that school has the patience of a jonesing meth addict.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If he loses the east 2 years in a row to Florida and then loses to Florida, he will be gone that following Sunday afternoon....
Maybe they can get Lane Kiffin and he can come give them the full Vol treatment! Follow it up with Baby Dooley of course for best results...